Why will you watch the 2018-19 Habs?

6 hours ago, Neech said:

I have a very low excitement level about hockey this year, and luckily I have other sports that I can give my attention.  But I probably will tune in out of habit, and I'll be watching for improvements in the young guys.  Domi's also an interesting player, and maybe he'll be less frustrating than Galchenyuk.  

Well, Domi certainly doesn't seem to share our pessimism...to hear him tell it, he got traded to a contender: https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/max-domi-says-canadiens-pieces-takes-win/

5 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Well, Domi certainly doesn't seem to share our pessimism...to hear him tell it, he got traded to a contender: https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/max-domi-says-canadiens-pieces-takes-win/

Well his dad wasn’t exactly the sharpest pencil around.  Looks like the apple didn’t fall far from the tree.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Well his dad wasn’t exactly the sharpest pencil around.  Looks like the apple didn’t fall far from the tree.

While that's true with some of his "off ice comments" I won't get into, that was as boilerplate of an interview as it gets. Sounded like Kevin Costner was feeding him lines.

"As a group we have to be better"

"When you got guys like this, you have pieces to win."

"We all have the same goal, which is to win hockey games."

"We got a lot of work ahead of ourselves."

Expect him to fight someone in the first game and be unable to match his goal production mark of last year.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

While that's true with some of his "off ice comments" I won't get into, that was as boilerplate of an interview as it gets. Sounded like Kevin Costner was feeding him lines.

"As a group we have to be better"

"When you got guys like this, you have pieces to win."

"We all have the same goal, which is to win hockey games."

"We got a lot of work ahead of ourselves."

Expect him to fight someone in the first game and be unable to match his goal production mark of last year.

I sure as hell hope he gets more than 9 goals. 

I bet Galchenyuk puts up 60+ pts in Arizona 

8 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

I sure as hell hope he gets more than 9 goals. 

I bet Galchenyuk puts up 60+ pts in Arizona 

I think he either has new team struggles out the gate like some players do, or he just goes on a tear. I expect him to be busting his ass this summer to get in shape because he finally has a GM and coach who want him to play centre. If he doesn't, he didn't deserve our support. 

I think Arizona looks at him the way Dallas looked at Tyler Seguin and knows if they handle him right, they fill that centre position for years to come. I think they put Keller and Grabner with him while Stepan gets Panik and Dvorak. There is still some hope in Strome and hopefully they handle him how Montreal should have handled Galchenyuk: play him at 3C and give him a guy like Dvorak and a vet on the other side. 

Galchenyuk doesn't have much time to secure a C position with Strome and Hayton in their system but who knows how long Stepan is around. Arizona might surprise everyone if Strome puts his game together and Nick Merkley ends up the real deal. Merkley has been a PPG player in his last four seasons (three in OHL, one in AHL) and if that transitions to the NHL, Arizona has five players 25 and younger who will have 20 goal, 50 point potential in the league. If Raanta wasn't a hotstreak, Arizona could surprise everyone. Not to mention their defence is a lot better than people give it credit for.

• Upvote 1

im really only looking forward to the continual development of our youth...

we are one of the youngest teams in the nhl...

in  particular 

kotky

poehling

evans

brook

fleury

and

drouin

lehkonan

domi

hudon

sherbak

delarose

mete

juulson

also,

our defence is atrocious on paper at the moment ... so im eager to see how that plays out as well. Hopefully reilly can surprise in the first 3 months given a top 4 role with weber out and mete and juulsen can show they also belong

you'd have to think

mete petry

reilly juulsen

alzner schlemko

will start the season with

lernout

ouellet

benn

deprees

on the outside looking in

the czech defenders will most likely start in the AHL but i heard they have clauses in their  contract that  will give them oppurtunity by a certain time??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

I think he either has new team struggles out the gate like some players do, or he just goes on a tear. I expect him to be busting his ass this summer to get in shape because he finally has a GM and coach who want him to play centre. If he doesn't, he didn't deserve our support. 

I think Arizona looks at him the way Dallas looked at Tyler Seguin and knows if they handle him right, they fill that centre position for years to come. I think they put Keller and Grabner with him while Stepan gets Panik and Dvorak. There is still some hope in Strome and hopefully they handle him how Montreal should have handled Galchenyuk: play him at 3C and give him a guy like Dvorak and a vet on the other side. 

Galchenyuk doesn't have much time to secure a C position with Strome and Hayton in their system but who knows how long Stepan is around. Arizona might surprise everyone if Strome puts his game together and Nick Merkley ends up the real deal. Merkley has been a PPG player in his last four seasons (three in OHL, one in AHL) and if that transitions to the NHL, Arizona has five players 25 and younger who will have 20 goal, 50 point potential in the league. If Raanta wasn't a hotstreak, Arizona could surprise everyone. Not to mention their defence is a lot better than people give it credit for.

Arizona is a sleeper. Maybe not this year, but that team has some solid pieces.

Ya, Raantaa put his game together down the stretch 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

the czech defenders will most likely start in the AHL but i heard they have clauses in their  contract that  will give them oppurtunity by a certain time??

They have a European Assignment Clause that they can activate if they're not up in the NHL by a specific time.  It doesn't necessarily guarantee them an NHL opportunity though.

• Upvote 1

I'll be watching to find out a few things...

1- will Carey come back to his good old self?

2- Will Scherbak come up with a breakthrough year (ie: 55+ points)

3- What will Max Domi look like with the Habs? Will be a true no.1-2 center?

4- and lastly, how will Lehkonen bounce back from last season? Can he score 25 goals?

22 minutes ago, Habsfan said:

4- and lastly, how will Lehkonen bounce back from last season? Can he score 25 goals?

I think there's a chance that #1 happens but I'm skeptical of the others.  A good year for Scherbak will be simply to stay in the lineup - if he can put up the numbers that Hudon did last year (72 GP, 10-20-30), I think management would be quite content.  Domi's going to play the wing by all accounts so he won't be an answer down the middle.  There's an outside shot Lehkonen could pop 25 but he's behind Pacioretty and Domi on the depth chart as things stand.  That puts him on a line probably with Plekanec so the scoring chances won't be plentiful.

I’m somewhere in the middle with Scherbak. I have high expectations of him in this league in general but it doesn’t mean it will come to fruition this year. I see a Voracek type player who instead finishes more compared to Voracek being a passer.  It all depends on health as well as opportunity but I’d be hoping for 40-50 points from him. If he’s in the bottom 6 then I agree with the 20-30 point range. 

That this thread can exist on a Habs site is pretty telling. I honestly am not really looking forward to the new season for the first time I can remember. And that is a really sad thing. I've read that the only reason Molson hasn't fired Bergevin is the financial commitment to GM and coaches. But if a guy like me may not be watching…. Houston... we have a problem.

• Upvote 2

On 2018-08-05 at 2:23 PM, Habsfan said:

I am counting on #1 and I really hope #2 happens. I read again Scherbak's draft year scouting report and he was a center converted to wing. He could be the playmaking RW Patches needs.

on #3, I hope Domi can have chemistry with Drouin. A line of Domi-Drouin-Gallagher seems to have good potential for 65g 150pts 

#4, I am looking for 20g+ seasons from Lehkonen and Hudon even if on the bottom 6. It may be unreasonable to expect that from both, but I am tired of waiting for these two to breakout: it's about dam time they do

On 08/08/2018 at 8:26 AM, Habopotamus said:

Scherbak will have a tough time with Julien as his coach 

I must admit, I was worried about that same thing! Why do I have the impression that Julien is not a young players coach?

If feels like the team have not had a fresh wind in coaching for ten years...

Martin-Therrien and now Julien...

same strictly dminded old boys club kind of coaches.

Id like to see younger thinking on this team.

47 minutes ago, Habsfan said:

I must admit, I was worried about that same thing! Why do I have the impression that Julien is not a young players coach?

If memory serves, Gainey fired him because a lot of key prospects were struggling under his reign. (Then again, guys like Komisarek never really did amount to much). 

And he couldn't work with Tyler Seguin, which is a truly damning indictment. And the Bruins' young wave seemed to take flight only after Julien was canned, or at least that's how I remember it.

There may be solid grounds for thinking he is a strong coach for a veteran team but not the man to whom you want to entrust a rebuild. How Galy does in Arizona will tell us a lot.

7 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

How Galy does in Arizona will tell us a lot.

Very good point! I guess I'll be watching Cyotoe highlights this season...just to see how Chucky is doing!

30 minutes ago, Dalhabs said:

Id like to see younger thinking on this team.

Don't disagree, but obviously you are talking about some French coach who hasn't coached in NHL. And I think the list would be quite short, but obviously unlikely to happen before GM change as well. Must be some French NHL assistant or AHL head coach that would fit the bill, but who they are I don't know. 

13 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

If memory serves, Gainey fired him because a lot of key prospects were struggling under his reign. (Then again, guys like Komisarek never really did amount to much). 

And he couldn't work with Tyler Seguin, which is a truly damning indictment. And the Bruins' young wave seemed to take flight only after Julien was canned, or at least that's how I remember it.

There may be solid grounds for thinking he is a strong coach for a veteran team but not the man to whom you want to entrust a rebuild. How Galy does in Arizona will tell us a lot.

Yes we have to give Bruce Cassidy credit for Jake Debrusk, Charlie McAvoy, and the Bruins who broke out last season.

At the same time, he developed Patrice Bergeron, David Krejci, Milan Lucic, Torey Krug, Johnny Boychuk, Tukka Rask, David Pastranak, Brad Marchand and a number of other young Bruins players while he was coach. He took over a bad Bruins team and developed them into a cup winner and perennial contender, and working with young players was part of that. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Yes we have to give Bruce Cassidy credit for Jake Debrusk, Charlie McAvoy, and the Bruins who broke out last season.

At the same time, he developed Patrice Bergeron, David Krejci, Milan Lucic, Torey Krug, Johnny Boychuk, Tukka Rask, David Pastranak, Brad Marchand and a number of other young Bruins players while he was coach. He took over a bad Bruins team and developed them into a cup winner and perennial contender, and working with young players was part of that. 

14 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Marchand was better when away from Julien, who for some stupid reason refused to play him on powerplay.

Julien has an issue with two types of young players: guys that lean heavy on offence and Russians. The Russian issue is well documented.

Good insights, you two. Thanks :thumbs_up:

54 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Marchand was better when away from Julien, who for some stupid reason refused to play him on powerplay.

Julien has an issue with two types of young players: guys that lean heavy on offence and Russians. The Russian issue is well documented.

Marchand became an MVP candidate under Julien.....  He was already in Hart Trophy talk before Julien left. 

In 2016-17, He had 6 PP goals before Julien was fired and 3 after he was fired.  (since he was fired 2/3rd of the way through the season that seems right).

He had 24 power play points that season (again 18 and 6).... and had 23 power play points this season. 

He didn't get much pp time before 2016-17 (and his breakout at the World Cup in September 2016), i'll agree there.  But Julien was the guy who put him on the PP at the start of 2016-17

5 hours ago, Commandant said:

Marchand became an MVP candidate under Julien.....  He was already in Hart Trophy talk before Julien left. 

In 2016-17, He had 6 PP goals before Julien was fired and 3 after he was fired.  (since he was fired 2/3rd of the way through the season that seems right).

He had 24 power play points that season (again 18 and 6).... and had 23 power play points this season. 

He didn't get much pp time before 2016-17 (and his breakout at the World Cup in September 2016), i'll agree there.  But Julien was the guy who put him on the PP at the start of 2016-17

Everything said here falls under "because his job was on the line"

Not playing Marchand on the PP was a point of contention in Boston.