Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
dlbalr

Habs acquire Hunter Shinkaruk

Recommended Posts

Hmm, interesting swap of two top 6 AHLers who haven’t quite managed to find a bottom 6 NHL job. 

 

Stylistically how how do they differ? I thought they both have nhl level shots and some offensive ability, but am unsure about their defensive games and general hockey IQ.

 

whats the motive behind shipping off newly acquired Rychel?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rychel's the better offensive player while Shinkaruk is the better skater.  The Habs seem to be placing more of a premium on speed with some of their depth moves (even going back to adding guys like Verbeek).  I wonder now if McCarron who is still unsigned (like Rychel/Shinkaruk) will be on the move in a similar type of swap as well.

 

http://www.habsworld.net/2018/08/habs-acquire-hunter-shinkaruk/

 

From the Calgary side:

 

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So does Bergevin have a curse on him that he HAS to make a trade at least once every 4 months or else he loses his fashion sense?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Between this guy and Marcel Chaput, we're doing a good job of vacuuming up Canucks rejects. Shinkaruk was traded by VAN for Markus Granlund, a rare trade the Canucks clearly won (although Granlund is no great shakes either).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always liked Shinkaruk as a prospect, though he hasn't panned out.  Interested to see what happens here. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shinkaruk has signed a one-year, two-way deal.  He'll get the league minimum of $650,000 in the NHL, $80,000 in Laval, and the contract has a guaranteed payment of $105,000.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man I was sure I was gonna open this up and it would say he was traded for McCarron. They were drafted beside each other.

 

The Stockton Heat are not a good development team for anyone but neither was Laval with Lefebvre so hopefully he develops with better coaches. Either way I'm glad to get rid of Rychel. I've known that spoiled brat since Windsor. His dad almost tanked his entire organization to bring him to the Spitfires and when he finally got him, everyone knew that there was an unwritten rule to always pass the puck to Kerby. The joke among the scorekeepers was, "Are you sure that wasn't a goal by Rychel?" anytime Windsor scored.

 

Whatever the case is, I hope we trade Hunter instead of him just leaving. We got a good train going:

 

- Sven Andrighetto for Andreas Martinsen

- Martinsen for Kyle Baun

- Baun in the Plekanec deal for Rychel

- Rychel for Shinkaruk

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There goes my hope for a Deslaurier-McCarron-Rychel line

:P

It will be interesting to see what JB does in Laval: how he puts the prospects in a context to develop and who he's Go-to guys will be

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/20/2018 at 1:41 PM, dlbalr said:

Rychel's the better offensive player while Shinkaruk is the better skater.  The Habs seem to be placing more of a premium on speed with some of their depth moves (even going back to adding guys like Verbeek).  I wonder now if McCarron who is still unsigned (like Rychel/Shinkaruk) will be on the move in a similar type of swap as well.

 

http://www.habsworld.net/2018/08/habs-acquire-hunter-shinkaruk/

 

From the Calgary side:

 

 

 

Bergevin has definitely put a premium on speed in his latest moves. Going back to the deadline. 

 

Jerabek flipped for a pick that was flipped for Reilly

Domi for Chuck

Acquiring Armia

Signing Peca

This Move

 

The problem is that the organizational philosophy seems to change yearly. 

 

Last year it was pick up Alzner, add Schlemko and Benn (deadline previous year).   Get the veteran defenceman.  Defence first. 

 

The year before it was character and grit.... Subban for Weber, add Shaw.

 

The year we lost to the Sens it was toughness and size.... add Parros, Douglas Murray, draft McCarron, Crisp. 

 

 

He needs to pick a philosophy and stick with it.  What is the team's identity and what does he want it to be. It seems to change on an annual basis.  Now he wants speed. Last year he didn't. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Commandant said:

 

Bergevin has definitely put a premium on speed in his latest moves. Going back to the deadline. 

 

Jerabek flipped for a pick that was flipped for Reilly

Domi for Chuck

Acquiring Armia

Signing Peca

This Move

 

The problem is that the organizational philosophy seems to change yearly. 

 

Last year it was pick up Alzner, add Schlemko and Benn (deadline previous year).   Get the veteran defenceman.  Defence first. 

 

The year before it was character and grit.... Subban for Weber, add Shaw.

 

The year we lost to the Sens it was toughness and size.... add Parros, Douglas Murray, draft McCarron, Crisp. 

 

 

He needs to pick a philosophy and stick with it.  What is the team's identity and what does he want it to be. It seems to change on an annual basis.  Now he wants speed. Last year he didn't. 

 

Lets just hope he sticks with speed because that is alot better than the previous years...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Commandant said:

 

Bergevin has definitely put a premium on speed in his latest moves. Going back to the deadline. 

 

Jerabek flipped for a pick that was flipped for Reilly

Domi for Chuck

Acquiring Armia

Signing Peca

This Move

 

The problem is that the organizational philosophy seems to change yearly. 

 

Last year it was pick up Alzner, add Schlemko and Benn (deadline previous year).   Get the veteran defenceman.  Defence first. 

 

The year before it was character and grit.... Subban for Weber, add Shaw.

 

The year we lost to the Sens it was toughness and size.... add Parros, Douglas Murray, draft McCarron, Crisp. 

 

 

He needs to pick a philosophy and stick with it.  What is the team's identity and what does he want it to be. It seems to change on an annual basis.  Now he wants speed. Last year he didn't. 

 

 

You are so spot-on, it's crazy. This is a case study in reactive rather than proactive management. Good GMs either identify which way the wind is blowing and develop a team accordingly, or else they simply identify the organizational philosophy that makes the most sense given the assets they have in hand and damn the torpedoes (as Bob Gainey did with Team Smurf in 2010). Being a bad GM, Bergevin has instead lurched from model to model with no coherent plan, and has been 3-4 years behind everybody else in identifying speed and skill as the primary desiderata in the contemporary NHL. It's appalling, massive ineptitude, no two ways about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

 

He needs to pick an exit date and pack for it.

This rebuild would be somewhat exciting, if Bergevin wasn't a part of it 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

This rebuild would be somewhat exciting, if Bergevin wasn't a part of it 

 

It's like getting a new job but it doesn't start for another year so you gotta keep working the job you hate until it begins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

 

It's like getting a new job but it doesn't start for another year so you gotta keep working the job you hate until it begins.

Well Hopefully that new job comes in like 3 months 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...