Habs Rookie Tournament/Camp Thread

dlbalr

3 hours ago, Trizzak said:

0 goals, 15 shots, 1 injury. These guys have already got the Habs system down pat. 

... Some times I get the feeling this team is cursed since they moved to the Bell center. But what do I know :spamafote:

12 hours ago, Habopotamus said:

Sounded like Kotkaniemi was timid out there...?

I don't know if timid would be the right word.  He was involved in the play and he wasn't shying away from anything - he just didn't play particularly well.

35 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I don't know if timid would be the right word.  He was involved in the play and he wasn't shying away from anything - he just didn't play particularly well.

He looked very weak too, which is to be expected I guess.

Probably very nervous and one game doesn’t mean much but it is a little concerning just how bad he looked considering he was a 3rd overall.

10 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

... Some times I get the feeling this team is cursed since they moved to the Bell center. But what do I know :spamafote:

The case can be made that we've been pretty unlucky, in that we lost entire seasons and playoffs to injuries to indispensable players, namely Markov and Price. Most team have a couple of guys they can't do without, and it's a bit irksome that ours have suffered massive injuries. We lost 2009 and 2012 to Markov injuries and 2016 to Price's problems, as well as probably missing a trip to the finals in 2014 when Kreider 'accidentally' took out Price. For that matter, we might well have beaten Carolina in '06 if Williams hadn't gouged out Koivu's eyeball.

By and large, however, the Habs' main problem since 1996 has been ineptitude We've had four GMs and only one of them (Gainey) was competent. And even Gainey made a couple of very costly key mistakes. The Habs since 1996 have basically been what the Leafs were from 1970-2015: a once-great organization that has declined into chronic mismanagement and self-indulgent internal drama, abetted by a frenzied fan base and media. You can't call it a 'curse' if the pattern of failure is self-created.

4 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The case can be made that we've been pretty unlucky, in that we lost entire seasons and playoffs to injuries to indispensable players, namely Markov and Price. Most team have a couple of guys they can't do without, and it's a bit irksome that ours have suffered massive injuries. We lost 2009 and 2012 to Markov injuries and 2016 to Price's problems, as well as probably missing a trip to the finals in 2014 when Kreider 'accidentally' took out Price. For that matter, we might well have beaten Carolina in '06 if Williams hadn't gouged out Koivu's eyeball.

By and large, however, the Habs' main problem since 1996 has been ineptitude We've had four GMs and only one of them (Gainey) was competent. And even Gainey made a couple of very costly key mistakes. The Habs since 1996 have basically been what the Leafs were from 1970-2015: a once-great organization that has declined into chronic mismanagement and self-indulgent internal drama, abetted by a frenzied fan base and media. You can't call it a 'curse' if the pattern of failure is self-created.

Blake Geoffrion, Donald Audette, Max Pacioretty, Lang, Eller, Koivu, Markov, Bournival are all player I remember seeing being taken out on a stretcher since they moved to the Bell center. 

I don't remember which incidents happened in Montreal but these have happened since they moved.

19 hours ago, Commandant said:

You can see the difference in experience.  Sens have almost 100 games of NHL experience in that lineup (and plenty of AHL experience).... Habs have 0 NHL games. Heck I'm not sure there are even any AHL games in this lineup.

Whomever was in charge of putting that team together and not noticing what other teams were doing? Shame.

You gotta put equal talent out there. If Ottawa and Toronto and Boston are playing AHLers you gotta do the same.

18 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Whomever was in charge of putting that team together and not noticing what other teams were doing? Shame.

You gotta put equal talent out there. If Ottawa and Toronto and Boston are playing AHLers you gotta do the same.

Toronto isn't.  Their team is the same as Montreal's.

Ottawa is known for playing AHL teams at these things. 

Boston isn't in this tourney, its just 3 teams.  We play Toronto twice (1 game is not part of the tourney and not open to public)

22 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

There really aren't a whole lot of other players the Habs could have realistically invited.  Guys like Valiev, Scherbak, and Lernout are probably too old (and waiver-eligible players shouldn't be in a rookie camp).  Audette could have gone but he's been through four of these already - he's not learning much.  Juulsen maybe could have been an option but considering that he's likely to crack the big club, they're wisely not taking any chances.  They could have brought Etienne Marcoux in instead of one of the junior goalies but that wouldn't have made a difference last night.

The reality is, most of Laval is either going to be veterans (Taormina, Grenier, probably Froese), fringe players that are too old for a rookie camp (Shinkaruk, Agostino, Chaput, etc), or pure rookies.  There aren't a lot of in-between options like Ottawa has, guys with a year or two of pro experience already. 

The Habs quietly were playing a lot of their AHL players yesterday - six forwards and four defencemen in the game last night are AHL-bound.  They just all happen to be raw rookies with the exception of Melancon (who has one year of ECHL experience under his belt).

(It also doesn't help that arguably half of Montreal's top-10/12 prospects weren't there either.)

43 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Blake Geoffrion, Donald Audette, Max Pacioretty, Lang, Eller, Koivu, Markov, Bournival are all player I remember seeing being taken out on a stretcher since they moved to the Bell center. 

I don't remember which incidents happened in Montreal but these have happened since they moved.

Right, if the question is 'we have a high number of guys who get carted off on stretchers,' that's an interesting one. Is our total higher than most teams', or - is hockey just a dangerous game - ?

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

(It also doesn't help that arguably half of Montreal's top-10/12 prospects weren't there either.)

Its way more than half. 

Going by the top 10 list that i did

Kotkaniemi (1)

Brook (6)

Didn't Play

Poehling (2)
Mete (3)

Scherbak (4)
Juulsen (5)
Ylonen (7)
Primeau (8)
Olofsson (9)
Fleury (10)

didn't play in that game. 

So that's only 2 of the top 10. 

Even if you don't go with our 50 games rule, and take out Mete, Scherbak, Juulsen as NHLers... 

You're next three would be 

Evans (11) - did play

Lindgren (12) - again take him out due to NHL experience

Ikonen (13) - didn't play

Romanov (14) didn't play

So you'd basically be 3 of the top 10 prospects if you don't count Mete, Scherbak, Juulsen, and Lindgren as prospects.