Habs Rookie Tournament/Camp Thread

dlbalr

It was Tyska who got hit and taken off the ice on a stretcher. 

3 major injuries in 3 useless games this tournament... between the Senators sending a team of NHLers, and AHL tryouts doing reckless plays to try to make a name for themselves, it might be time to just cancel future rookie tournaments. Habs have lost so much more this weekend than they've gained. 

13 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

It was Tyska who got hit and taken off the ice on a stretcher. 

3 major injuries in 3 useless games this tournament... between the Senators sending a team of NHLers, and AHL tryouts doing reckless plays to try to make a name for themselves, it might be time to just cancel future rookie tournaments. Habs have lost so much more this weekend than they've gained. 

If this is any indication on how the season is going to go.....we're in for a long year.

6 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Vejdemo has poise with the puck. Bitten treats every hockey play like a football blitz. Pezzetta plays with a serious edge.

There is NHL talent here, it just doesn't seem to be point-producing NHL talent. 

Fonstad scores off of a Bitten breakaway.

3 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Vejdemo has poise with the puck. Bitten treats every hockey play like a football blitz. Pezzetta plays with a serious edge.

There is NHL talent here, it just doesn't seem to be point-producing NHL talent. 

I have hope for Bitten. 

16 hours ago, Habopotamus said:

Bouchard apparently went off on the team for not standing up for Tyska after that hit. 

I was happy to see Bouchard take this stance.  For far too long the Canadiens organization has behaved this way, not standing up for teammates that have been cheap-shotted or standing idly by when skill players are harassed/intimidated.  There are some here who think the rough stuff serves no purpose in the 'new' NHL, but I could not disagree more strongly.  The prime example that I can think of was in this past Stanley Cup Final, when Coburn pulled Backstrom's jersey off during a scrum and tossed it to the ice.  Were that a Habs skilled player, nothing would get done about it 9 times out of 10.  The Caps, however, stand up for each other...Tom Wilson lost his mind and immediately tried to get at Coburn...and it took a hell of an effort by the linesman to prevent it.  The whole time he and Coburn were in the box, Wilson was livid...and told him about the ass-kicking he was going to give him the entire 2 minutes...I don't think he even sat down once.  As soon as the box opened, he was on Coburn like white on rice...he didn't give him a choice, they were fighting.  Right then and there, by the reaction of the Caps bench, I was more sure than ever that they were going to win the Cup; they were a TEAM in every sense of the word.  If Bouchard can start to instill that in the up and coming Canadiens in Laval, that is as much a vital part of the rebuild as re-stocking the talent pool IMO. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

4-1 Toronto is the final.  Vejdemo had the goal for the Habs.  I don't think anyone got stretchered off either.

Good news that the stretcher didn't come out.

Let's celebrate the positives :P

First round of cuts: https://www.nhl.com/canadiens/news/canadiens-rookie-camp-eight-players-returned-to-junior/c-300050346

Anttalainen, Dhillon, Hagel, and Katerenakis were released from their ATOs while Fonstad, Hillis, Houde, and McShane are heading back to their junior teams.  I think Sam Harvey and Joel Teasdale are the lone tryouts that aren't signed to AHL deals already left in camp.

39 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Can you elaborate ?

32 goals 65 points in 65 games with the Armada last season, went undrafted. 

He is 6'0" 200 lbs, not huge, but not small. 

I don't think he's a huge scorer, but could be an NHL player, good defensively, good on the penalty kill, keeps his feet moving, i don't know that any skill really stands out, but he's just good at everything. 

The only player bypassed in the draft who team canada invited to their world junior camp.

Seems like a good one. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I am reluctant in piling up bottom-6 NHLers now that we are clearly in rebuild mode. But players like Teasdale are more deserving of a spot than Deslaurier or McCarron

30 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Seems like a good one. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I am reluctant in piling up bottom-6 NHLers now that we are clearly in rebuild mode. But players like Teasdale are more deserving of a spot than Deslaurier or McCarron

He wouldn't get a spot. 

He'd still go back to junior. He'd just now be one of our prospects. 

The same thing we did with McNiven. 

We can sign him now, and get his rights.  But, If he leaves camp without a contract, he goes back in the 2019 draft... 

A couple years ago we considered signing Palmu, but ultimately decided not to. He got drafted by the Canucks in the next draft.  

The big consideration is if you want to use one of your 50 contract slots on the player.  (note: the contract will slide and not count towards the 50 until he's done junior, so it would start in 2019-20).