Max Pacioretty traded to Vegas

Trizzak

WAKE UP HABSWORLD!!

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!

Seriously need some immediate feedback from our resident experts. Anyone have them on speed dial??

I figured with the cuke in BC and a Pacific time zone he’d at least be awake. 

Lol as if I could fall asleep.

Suzuki is a centre prospect. Pretty sure Commanant had him in the top 30 amongst all prospects in the league - ahead of Poehling by a bunch, and just behind Viliardi (whom many of us wanted if a trade with LA was a thing.)

Tatar is a 20 goal guy with 3 years left at 5.3 per, making him the 2nd highest paid forward on the Habs right now. 

Plus a 2nd rounder. 

This is a great deal.

I’m seriously happy with this return, especially in the context of Hoffman/Skinner not fetching what people thought they would. 

Suzuki is a blue chip centre prospect. He may never be that bonafide 1st line centre but should produce in the top 6.

We also somewhat replace current production we lost in Pacioretty. Tartar will never score thirty, but he should be capable of putting up similar ppg to pcioretty last year. A 20 goal, 40ish point guy.

A second round pick is a great bonus.

On top of all that, Pacioretty is still a clear loss for the team, so it honestly means we’ll finish lower this year. It’s clear, we’re rebuilding. And with a top 10 including Hughes, Turcotte, Kakko, Bryam, cozens, Dach, Newhook, and even the brother of a fellow Hab, Ryan Suzuki ;) - finishing low could be a great thing this year.

A centre prospect pool of Poehling, Suzuki,  Kotkaniemi, and one of Hughes, Dach, Turcotte and Newhook would be the best we’ve had in decades, if it isn’t already the best in decades.

Tatar sucks. Maybe he bounces back in Montreal but he was getting scratched in Vegas and has an ugly contract.

Suzuki is the score. Some will say where is a first round pick but that's Suzuki. 19, was 13th overall, has the potential to be a top six player in the NHL at centre or wing, could definitely put up Pacioretty numbers or better. I have more faith in him than Kotkaniemi and would call him our #1 prospect. 

The 2nd is good too.

I wonder if Patches signed an extension in Vegas.

23 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Tatar sucks. Maybe he bounces back in Montreal but he was getting scratched in Vegas and has an ugly contract.

Suzuki is the score. Some will say where is a first round pick but that's Suzuki. 19, was 13th overall, has the potential to be a top six player in the NHL at centre or wing, could definitely put up Pacioretty numbers or better. I have more faith in him than Kotkaniemi and would call him our #1 prospect. 

The 2nd is good too.

I wonder if Patches signed an extension in Vegas.

Habs don’t pay 10% of Tatar’s contract. Still an overpayment at 4.8 rather than 5.3, but definitely not crippling.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

Habs don’t pay 10% of Tatar’s contract. Still an overpayment at 4.8 rather than 5.3, but definitely not crippling.

Not crippling, just another bad contract to throw on the pile. Luckily he is just there to fill a spot during the rebuild and not what Vegas originally traded him for.

In an ideal world, Tatar bounces back with a great season and we flip him for more picks. Doubt that happens but the possibility is there. 

Suzuki though, he does have skating issues. The team needs to be proactive about it. Get him skating better and he's a 30 goal scoring 1C in the NHL. Don't fix it and he plays wing and might struggle out the gate. 

I haven't delved deep into the trade but on it's face it looks like it's good for both sides (pending LV being able to resign Pax).

So do the habs go captainless again (as is tradition) before picking a captain next year?

10 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

This is a solid return. 

Getting a Left D prospect would have been nice to see, but the centre depth for this team moving forward has a real chance to make some noise. 

I wonder if Kotaniemi would have been drafted, if this trade happened before the draft 

Great question. My honest thought is no, if Suzuki were already in the fold, Tkachuk or Zadina would be a Hab.

5 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

Great question. My honest thought is no, if Suzuki were already in the fold, Tkachuk or Zadina would be a Hab.

The way that the habs biggest concerns for the last 5-7 years was lack of centres, I wouldn't be surprised if we did the same move to just further increase the chances of one of the prospects turning out not to be a bust.

Domi - Drouin - Gallagher

Tatar - Danault - Armia/Scherbak

Hudon - Peca/Suzuki - Lehkonen

Deslauriers - Plekanec - Scherbak/Armia

INJ: Byron, Shaw

Probably close to what we see. Suzuki was playing wing in Vegas for the rookie tournament until the last game where he got to play natural C. Really shouldn't play in the OHL. If Tatar was a RW things would make much more sense.

Of course, if I was coach with this brutal lineup...

Tatar - Danault - Drouin

Domi - Peca - Gallagher

Lehkonen - Hudon - Armia

Deslauriers - Plekanec - DLR/Alex Chiasson

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I would have preferred Hague (LD) and a first round pick... but I am not unhappy with this return.

Paciorettyis now part of the CH tradition of trading captains

Suzuki is a considerably better player than Hague though.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

wonder if Kotaniemi would have been drafted, if this trade happened before the draft 

Personally I don't draft Kotkaniemi over Zadina. Dude was revved up to be a Hab. I think he would have given 110% to be a star here. Maybe I eat crow on that when I'm 40.

But for this team? No. Keep stockpiling centres. I want Hughes or Cozens in 2019 and Lafreniere or Byfield in 2020. One of the four would be amazing. Two of the four would be the making of a real contender.

Let's say we finish dead last in 19-20 after moving Weber and Price and we win the lottery for Lafreniere. In 2019 we drafted Lavoie because Price had a decent season so we got 6th overall or something. We are now running with:

C: Lafreniere, Poehling, Suzuki, Kotkaniemi

L: Domi, Hudon, Lehkonen, 

RW: Lavoie, Scherbak, Bitten, Ylonen

F: Drouin (can play anywhere)

Now with this depth, we realize that Poehling and Lafreniere are real deal top centres while Suzuki can pivot to the wing. Maybe Kotkaniemi doesn't pan out as a top centre but ends up a really good 2/3 C. Suddenly we are running with a lineup that could look like

Suzuki - Lafreniere - Lavoie

Domi - Poehling - Drouin

Hudon - Kotkaniemi - Scherbak/Bitten

You could even move Kotkaniemi to the wing and have him replace Domi if he busts like I expect him to.

Point is, Leafs (I know I know we all hate hearing about them as they haven't won anything but hear me out) drafted Nylander and Marner as centres and play both as wingers. That's much easier to do than draft wingers and make them centres. Also if say Matthews signs an offer sheet in Arizona and is gone next summer, Toronto still has Tavares and Kadri and can move Marner back to centre if need be. That's why you need heavy centre depth. Poehling, Kotkaniemi, and Suzuki is a start. I want more. 

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Domi - Drouin - Gallagher

Tatar - Danault - Armia/Scherbak

Hudon - Peca/Suzuki - Lehkonen

Deslauriers - Plekanec - Scherbak/Armia

INJ: Byron, Shaw

Probably close to what we see. Suzuki was playing wing in Vegas for the rookie tournament until the last game where he got to play natural C. Really shouldn't play in the OHL. If Tatar was a RW things would make much more sense.

Of course, if I was coach with this brutal lineup...

Tatar - Danault - Drouin

Domi - Peca - Gallagher

Lehkonen - Hudon - Armia

Deslauriers - Plekanec - DLR/Alex Chiasson

Id let suzuki go back to the OHL and dominate and play the world juniors.

Dont burn a year of his elc for this shit roster

6 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Personally I don't draft Kotkaniemi over Zadina. Dude was revved up to be a Hab. I think he would have given 110% to be a star here. Maybe I eat crow on that when I'm 40.

But for this team? No. Keep stockpiling centres. I want Hughes or Cozens in 2019 and Lafreniere or Byfield in 2020. One of the four would be amazing. Two of the four would be the making of a real contender.

Let's say we finish dead last in 19-20 after moving Weber and Price and we win the lottery for Lafreniere. In 2019 we drafted Lavoie because Price had a decent season so we got 6th overall or something. We are now running with:

C: Lafreniere, Poehling, Suzuki, Kotkaniemi

L: Domi, Hudon, Lehkonen, 

RW: Lavoie, Scherbak, Bitten, Ylonen

F: Drouin (can play anywhere)

Now with this depth, we realize that Poehling and Lafreniere are real deal top centres while Suzuki can pivot to the wing. Maybe Kotkaniemi doesn't pan out as a top centre but ends up a really good 2/3 C. Suddenly we are running with a lineup that could look like

Suzuki - Lafreniere - Lavoie

Domi - Poehling - Drouin

Hudon - Kotkaniemi - Scherbak/Bitten

You could even move Kotkaniemi to the wing and have him replace Domi if he busts like I expect him to.

Point is, Leafs (I know I know we all hate hearing about them as they haven't won anything but hear me out) drafted Nylander and Marner as centres and play both as wingers. That's much easier to do than draft wingers and make them centres. Also if say Matthews signs an offer sheet in Arizona and is gone next summer, Toronto still has Tavares and Kadri and can move Marner back to centre if need be. That's why you need heavy centre depth. Poehling, Kotkaniemi, and Suzuki is a start. I want more. 

Lafreniere js a wing

WOW! Surprised they were able to get a guy like Suzuki at this point.

Nice trade. It was obvious Pacs was going so three pieces is decent. Tatar is just a cap dump.

I wanted quality over quantity. I think this trade is just that.

Tatar is ok. 

Someone has to play and score goals on this team.  I mean even with this crappy offence, someone will score.

Might as well be him and then flip him for more young assets.

You wont get a first, second and third like detroit did.  But flip him for a 2md and third at the deadline?  If hes got 15-20 goals at that point... you might be able to.