Max Pacioretty traded to Vegas

Trizzak

15 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

:thumbs_up:

Truly a class act.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I'll miss Max, he was my favourite player.

12 hours ago, sbhatt said:

Jesus Christ...do your arms get tired from working those pom-poms as you play cheerleader for Bergevin?

Habs lost in 1st round in 2011, then finished 28th in league in 2012, then knocked out in 1st round in 2013...who in their right mind would say that team was a contender 1 centre from a cup?

Dont think Habs have had a single all-star forward since 2010 or longer ago, so even winning 10 games in 2014 playoffs was very unexpected by most, but 6 wins from a cup was a nice run.

I know team is what Bergevin has made of it, last summer was terrible management by Bergevin and this year will be a write off, but wont pack away the pom poms even in a losing season, sorry.

45 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Best friends with Paul Stastny. That's interesting. I guess it made sense he'd eventually land there.

What Pacioretty said about it being the right time to leave was certainly correct. Could not figure for the life of me why anyone wanted him to stick around right now. Some were surprised at his contract length but only Marchesseault has a year longer

Hope it works for him. 

1 hour ago, DON said:

Habs lost in 1st round in 2011, then finished 28th in league in 2012, then knocked out in 1st round in 2013...who in their right mind would say that team was a contender 1 centre from a cup?

Dont think Habs have had a single all-star forward since 2010 or longer ago, so even winning 10 games in 2014 playoffs was very unexpected by most, but 6 wins from a cup was a nice run.

I know team is what Bergevin has made of it, last summer was terrible management by Bergevin and this year will be a write off, but wont pack away the pom poms even in a losing season, sorry.

6 wins from a Cup, followed by a 2nd overall performance. Yep, that team had no chance of contending. Thank god the GM blew it up  :rolleyes:

We will be lucky if the current rebuild yields anything better than what your buddy destroyed.

Cheer for the team, sure. Praise the GM as anything other than a disaster? Sorry, that's Leafsland. Not for me, thanks.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

6 wins from a Cup, followed by a 2nd overall performance.

Then started 2nd round of playoffs with 4g in first 3 games to seal their fate. Again, 1 centre should of helped but would they of beat Tampa-NY then Hawks? And also what would it of cost for that top six centre?

We will be lucky if the current rebuild yields anything better than what your buddy destroyed.

Over the top and rose-coloured glasses comment but, I would hazard a guess that the farm system is a tad deeper than it was, but need to develop some all-star forwards and hope couple of Juulsen-Brook-Mete-Fleury-Romanov become capable NHL d-men

Cheer for the team, sure.

You know I will...should try it, I think is better than being 100% cynical about everything Habs related.:wavetowel:  

3 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Best friends with Paul Stastny. That's interesting. I guess it made sense he'd eventually land there.

What Pacioretty said about it being the right time to leave was certainly correct. Could not figure for the life of me why anyone wanted him to stick around right now. Some were surprised at his contract length but only Marchesseault has a year longer

Hope it works for him. 

Not gonna lie, seeing "Max Pacioretty, Vegas Golden Knights" as the byline at the bottom looks weird.

5 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Hope it works for him. 

When Pacioretty was asked what it's like to be playing for Gallant, he said it's nice because he doesn't have to use his brain as much, he can just play the game. 

Given the Karlsson trade I'd say the deal looks alright.  So hey, we have a better GM then Ottawa...even if it is a pretty low benchmark.

For the record, as a fan,  I'm appalled that Bergevin wasn't fired at the end of last season.  Why they want this guy, who has turned in a terrible performance as GM (the Pacioretty deal aside), to lead a rebuild is just beyond me.  They had a clear opportunity for a fresh start.  It makes it clear that Molson should be turning the reigns over to someone else.

20 minutes ago, Zowpeb said:

Given the Karlsson trade I'd say the deal looks alright.  So hey, we have a better GM then Ottawa...even if it is a pretty low benchmark.

For the record, as a fan,  I'm appalled that Bergevin wasn't fired at the end of last season.  Why they want this guy, who has turned in a terrible performance as GM (the Pacioretty deal aside), to lead a rebuild is just beyond me.  They had a clear opportunity for a fresh start.  It makes it clear that Molson should be turning the reigns over to someone else.

It’s the millions of dollars Molson owes MB regardless

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Meller93 said:

It’s the millions of dollars Molson owes MB regardless

That and what other realistic French options does he have out there to pick from...same thin pool as 6 years ago.

18 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Metallica, I think you are right. I checked on Byron for example (who is coming off a shoulder injury)

He was a 2007 6th-rounder and has outperformed in PPG:

Sam Gagner, Zach Hamill, Lars Eller, Colton Gillies, Alexei Cherepanov, Logan MacMillan, Angelo Esposito, Riley Nash, Patrick White, Jim O'Brien . Just to name the first rounders form his draft year.

He has done well in the last few years and may bring back a good return; but maybe not a 3rd.

We got Shinkaruk for Rychel, which made me optimistic about McCarron and Delarose. But I did another spot check for similar player traded and you may be right.

But I would still look to trade these players for 2019 draft picks:

*) Byron,

*) McCarron and the 4th-round pick for a 3rd rounder. 

*) Delarose who is a young 4rth-liner who can be a a 3rd-liner LW: for a late 2nd or a 3rd.

*) I would trade one of Schlemko or Benn for a 4th or 5th and keep the other as a 7th D

Byron alone wont get you a 3rd round pick maybe (Byron + a 5th could get you a 3rd) . Maybe in a weak draft year you could get a 2nd for Byron from a cup contender who needs additional scoring in there line up.

No way you get a 2nd for Rose. He is a 4th line center at best in the NHL. No one will give you a 2nd round pick that's just crazy.

McCarron cant crack Montreals line up and you think you're getting a 3rd round pick for him ??

I would agree with you on Benn and Schlemko you could get a 4th or 5th pick for them.

But on Byron, Rose and McCarron you need to take your habs blinders off and see them for what the are.

14 minutes ago, Metallica said:

Byron alone wont get you a 3rd round pick maybe (Byron + a 5th could get you a 3rd) . Maybe in a weak draft year you could get a 2nd for Byron from a cup contender who needs additional scoring in there line up.

Byron's coming off back-to-back 20-goal seasons and is cheap.  Michael Grabner, a similar player to him, fetched a 2nd and a decent prospect at the trade deadline.  Assuming Byron has a similar year, they should be able to get a 2nd for him, especially from cap-strapped teams who want to add but don't have much cap room; he'd automatically be a top target for those squads.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Byron's coming off back-to-back 20-goal seasons and is cheap.  Michael Grabner, a similar player to him, fetched a 2nd and a decent prospect at the trade deadline.  Assuming Byron has a similar year, they should be able to get a 2nd for him, especially from cap-strapped teams who want to add but don't have much cap room; he'd automatically be a top target for those squads.

Again it depends on the draft and how deep it is. Last years draft was weak. This year is a better draft year, gm's aren't going to give up a 1st,2nd or 3rd round pick that easy.

1 hour ago, Metallica said:

Again it depends on the draft and how deep it is. Last years draft was weak. This year is a better draft year, gm's aren't going to give up a 1st,2nd or 3rd round pick that easy.

I'm aware that this draft is deeper.  I'm also aware that teams aren't going to be afraid to move a 2nd round pick if they get someone that they think can make an impact for them and teams have moved 2nd rounders in deep drafts for capable rental players before...  If Byron's playing at a 20-goal pace, there are going to be a lot of teams interested in him.  They're not all going to hold firm at a 3rd rounder or bust.  If Bergevin plays his cards right, someone will up the ante to Montreal's benefit.

Now, if Byron reverts back to his performance in Calgary, then I agree, a 2nd would be unrealistic.  But if he plays like he has, they should get a 2nd for him, deep draft or not.  And if every GM is so terrified of moving a 2019 2nd (even though seven have already been dealt or encumbered), there's always 2020.

• Upvote 1

If Byron plays as he has and has 15g at deadline, i think he is worth more to Habs than a 2nd round pick...he is dangerous killing penalties, signed cheap shouldnt cost an arm & leg to extend and can really skate. So it isnt just his goal production that I like.

Edited by DON
expiring contract

Byron's a late bloomer and for that reason probably needs a third straight productive season in order to settle all doubt that he really can add good value to your roster. But I'm a fan of Lord Byron, who has had absolutely nothing handed to him and has seized every opportunity with both hands :thumbs_up:

Byron is a 29 year old forward on a cheap deal. 

He should be traded for the exact same reasons that Pacioretty is traded. 

His game relies on speed, and he will likely want a good raise on an extension.  By the time this team is ready to compete, he will not have the same speed he has now.  

I love the guy, but Get what you can, while you can for him.

• Upvote 1

Oh, yeah - I wasn't arguing we should keep him, especially given that we have young W who probably have higher ceilings or at least better futures ahead. Other than giving him the props he deserves, my only point there was to say that GMs will be more likely to cough up value for him if he has a third strong season; some may still be skeptical about him due to his lack of pedigree. He's a deadline deal waiting to happen.