Is it worth having Price and Weber on this team now with this rebuild?

Metallica

16 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I for one don't expect Galy to be some superstar.

If he is a good top-6 C (say, 60-70 points) then he is automatically much more valuable than Max Domi.

If said likely 50-60pts should be expected from him, i would agree. If he had one 60+ season would think different, but he hasnt.

(If Rick Toccett sends Alex senior packing, that may also help him.)

18 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

So you expect Kotkaniemi and Drouin to carry the Habs to the Cup because of their draft position?

If they don't we are sooooo screwed as a franchise

Isn't that what we all want and the purpose of the rebuild: to win the cup?!

5 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

I would never put that on one player. It's about a team. 

But, if both or either can become an all-star calibre forward that will be a big improvement from what we have had.

54 minutes ago, DON said:

If said likely 50-60pts should be expected from him, i would agree. If he had one 60+ season would think different, but he hasnt.

(If Rick Toccett sends Alex senior packing, that may also help him.)

Even if Galy clocks in at 50-60 points, that still likely makes him more valuable than Domi, due to positional considerations.

Only the Montreal Canadiens could be stupid enough to trade a top-6 C when they quite literally do not have a single legitimate NHL top-6 C on their roster.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

I would never put that on one player. It's about a team. 

Wasn't that the knock on Patches? :huh:

The CH needs to reconstruct a cup-contending top line or bust.

27 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Even if Galy clocks in at 50-60 points, that still likely makes him more valuable than Domi, due to positional considerations.

Only the Montreal Canadiens could be stupid enough to trade a top-6 C when they quite literally do not have a single legitimate NHL top-6 C on their roster.

Arizona is interesting too in that they are weak on the left wing, so if Tocchett said no we need him more on the wing than centre, it would be understandable. But no, he said right out the gate he has a shot at centre. And his GM supports him in a way Bergevin never did.

I don't think he moves off centre for the whole season, good or bad. His wingers will change and that's it. If he and Strome look great, that gives Arizona three centres down the middle to build around with Keller, Perlini, Hinostroza, Merkley, and Fischer on the wing. Plus Crouse and Dvorak. Arizona is looking exciting if things fall into place.

(Disclaimer: Arizona is 2nd team this year)

11 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Wasn't that the knock on Patches? :huh:

I would never say this guy got drafted here so he has to carry the team.

Pacioretty already had his role defined as the top winger. He was expected to lead. He often went cold in the playoffs. I won't take the first Tampa series from him, but otherwise we had many other players who stepped up over him. Heck Lehkonen was better than him against the Rangers shift in and shift out, and Flynn outscored him.

Not once did I expect Pacioretty to carry the Habs. I expected him to score more than 0 goals and 1 assist in 6 games against the Rangers as our team captain. 

1 hour ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

I would never say this guy got drafted here so he has to carry the team.

Ok, let me ask the question this way: out of all the forward prospects we have, who is our franchise forward?

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

And where is Domi lined up to start camp, centre as well.

Gallant, Muller and other coaches also have obviously seen Galchenyuk different than fans or Arizona GM does. But, will be interesting to see how Toccett and staff utilize him.

Group B lines:

Drouin - Domi - Armia

Edited by DON
dlbalr posted lines

15 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Ok, let me ask the question this way: out of all the forward prospects we have, who is our franchise forward?

There isn't one yet.

I'm nowhere near as sold on Kotkaniemi as Commandant is. 

Drouin still has the potential, he isn't done yet, but the clock is ticking.

Domi certainly isn't. Scherbak isn't. Gallagher isn't.

I don't believe this team has a forward yet that would be considered a franchise forward. Or defenceman (Weber used to be). Just a goalie.

31 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Drouin is the answer, and the one you’re looking for. I despised his play last year but in Pacioretty’s absense, Galchenyuk was the next closest thing in terms of replacing his goals. After that, Drouin’s the one who needs to be that player. Not as a result of goal scoring but the one who can take over a game. If Gallagher shows two or more seasons of promise, it could be him as well. Is Marchand a franchise forward? Gallagher is on a similar path. 

58 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Is Marchand a franchise forward? Gallagher is on a similar path. 

Marchand has back to back 85 point seasons and would have had one earlier had Julien let him play powerplay. Between 13-14 and 15-16 he played the 8th most amount of PP minutes among Bruins forwards.

Yes but in their first 6 seasons in the league...

Gallagher: 

239 points / 408 games  = .5886 ppg

Marchand: 

228 points / 377 games played = .6047 ppg

Marchand has a few extra seasons under his belt and only started blossoming after this period. Let’s see if Gallagher can keep it up.