• Jeff Petry
    • Paul Byron
    • Youppi!!
    • Other - please specify
    • No one should be captain

12 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Wow, I got a poll to work! Hooray

Congrats... :clap:

I vote for none of the above - just don't name a captain for the upcoming season.  It worked fine the last time they did it and considering how divisive naming the last one was, I'm not sure it's in Montreal's best interest to go back down that route.

7 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Congrats... :clap:

I vote for none of the above - just don't name a captain for the upcoming season.  It worked fine the last time they did it and considering how divisive naming the last one was, I'm not sure it's in Montreal's best interest to go back down that route.

Good point. I added 'no captain' as a poll option.

I voted for Weber. I’m not concerned as to when it happens.

The question is who should be the successor of Pacioretty. It doesn’t specify a time. Those who say no one, are saying no one should ever replace him, or that someone who isn’t currently on the team should be our next captain. I don’t see why either of those should be the case.

3 hours ago, Metallica said:

Who should be our next captain? Who do we want traded next ?

If that’s the case, let’s name Bergevin as the captain!

• Upvote 1

They should go back to the way Savard and all of his predecessors did it and let the team vote.  I'll never understand how the management team think they should decide who the leader in the room is.

2 hours ago, C-Love said:

They should go back to the way Savard and all of his predecessors did it and let the team vote.  I'll never understand how the management team think they should decide who the leader in the room is.

Officially, that is what happened the last time.

I think I went to pick Youppi! and picked Byron instead haha.

3 hours ago, C-Love said:

Team vote is what got us Carbonneau/Chelios splitting the C and Pacioretty. Of course, the issue with Pacioretty is nobody could pick Carey Price, who everyone felt was the real leader of the team, and allegedly nobody could pick Andrei Markov. There were reports he refused the C, then he denied that, and there were reports when they chose captain they couldn't name him.

In hindsight, Markov should have been named captain in 2010, with alternates for when he was hurt. Either way, he was the leader of that locker room until Price matured, and even then he was the real leader on the ice. Everyone respected him and looked up to him. I hope Markov writes a book one day, because there's so much that just doesn't smell right with Markov's career with the Habs now and I wonder what it was.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

The question is who should be the successor of Pacioretty. It doesn’t specify a time. Those who say no one, are saying no one should ever replace him, or that someone who isn’t currently on the team should be our next captain. I don’t see why either of those should be the case.

I'd be okay with running without one long-term.  Weber's well-respected around the league but could conceivably be a trade candidate before too long and if that's the case, they shouldn't pick him.  Gallagher is not well-respected by officials around the league and considering talking to the refs is a big part of wearing the 'C', that doesn't make him a great option either.  (I don't consider media obligations as all that important as lots of players on the team speak to the media, letter or not).  I don't see a good fit beyond those two so none of the internal options are great at this time.

It should be Weber. One of main reason he was traded for was his leadership, trading him soon is far fetched. Bout same chance as Henrik Lundqvist gets dealt before his contract runs out, even though Rangers are rebuilding/retooling (or whatever you want to call it) and he is no spring chicken.

Has to be Weber. It was the whole reason he was brought in, because he was the mature leader that they didn't believe Subban could be. It Wouldn't make him harder to trade, as this franchise has such a tradition of trading captains, even when short lived.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

Has to be Weber. It was the whole reason he was brought in, because he was the mature leader that they didn't believe Subban could be. It Wouldn't make him harder to trade, as this franchise has such a tradition of trading captains, even when short lived.

I'll say this: if Weber is not named captain, that's a sign they anticipate trading him within the next couple of years.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I'll say this: if Weber is not named captain, that's a sign they anticipate trading him within the next couple of years.

Eight teams currently have no captain, with the Leafs going into season #4 without one. The only one that will probably fill the role before the season begins is Buffalo, and possibly Arizona.

12 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Eight teams currently have no captain, with the Leafs going into season #4 without one. The only one that will probably fill the role before the season begins is Buffalo, and possibly Arizona.

Right, but how many of those teams have a star veteran of Weber's profile who was, furthermore, acquired in a blockbuster (and stupid) trade primarily justified in terms of his *leadership?* If you honestly see Weber as a core piece in the longer term, you name him captain. It's a no-brainer.