• Andrew Shaw
    • Max Domi
    • Jeff Petry
    • Paul Byron
    • Youppi!!
    • Other - please specify
    • No one should be captain

59 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Right, but how many of those teams have a star veteran of Weber's profile who was, furthermore, acquired in a blockbuster (and stupid) trade primarily justified in terms of his *leadership?* If you honestly see Weber as a core piece in the longer term, you name him captain. It's a no-brainer.

Toronto has Tavares and Marleau and the Golden Knights just got somebody's captain, but otherwise I see what you mean. Problem is, how can you name an injured captain? If they would, Markov would have been captain in 2010.

The players would more than likely name Weber, but they really shouldn't have a shot to. Go without a captain during the rebuild, see who emerges. Weber would be a sensible choice until you think about how much he actually wants to play for this club. 

Based on the pattern of our own recent history, I expect there to be no captain. With that being said, I don’t see any issue with naming Weber captain once he’s back and healthy. We’re not likely to trade him in the near future but if we end up trading him a few years, or even within a few months of his captaincy, I don’t see the issue. If there’s a circus because the Habs “keep trading their captains”? So be it.