2018 Training Camp Thread

dlbalr

29 minutes ago, Commandant said:

The annual best shape of his life.  I have more endurance interview that mccarron has given 4 years in a row

Haha.  I saw that too.  Annual best shape of his life interview. That's funny. 

Out of the prospects playing in this game, Sklenicka has really stood out.  He's a rover from the back end but he's a strong skater.  Brook has looked alright on the back end while Bitten can fly (but his shooting needs some work).  Vejdemo has looked solid as well.

Not sure if anyone is watching the Red vs White game being streamed on RDS.ca website.

Half time, and so far Domi, Armia, Drouin, Lehkonen, Mete, Julssen, Suzuki, Shinkaruk are all buzzing and looking noticeable out there for a variety of reasons. Domi and Drouin are especially "into it" so far, I just can't see if he has a healthy season, how Domi playing with that much pace and quick hockey plays, along side Drouin, can't crack the 15 goal, 45 point plateaus this year.

6 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

Kotkaniemi's skating is questionable. 

Its awkward looking i'll give you that, but his overall speed is not a problem, he simply won't ever be in the same skating league was guys like Domi and Drouin. Skating is not a strength or a weakness for him, i'm more concerned with watching his reaction time, his quick decision making, his sense of anticipation. That is what he will need to get up to speed to allow the rest of his elite talent to come to the fore front and make him a very dynamic NHL player in the near future.

Peca adding himself to the list of players distinguishing themselves this game, several flashes of very nice plays by him so far.

the line of Gallagher - Danault - Tatar are also very involved in this second half.

Heard Drouin/Domi/Armia line was buzzing out there today and they all had great chemistry.

A lot to be positive about with our young players, Suzuki looked good too, wouldn’t be surprised if he forces the issue of making the team. Kotkaniemi you can tell will be a great player he just needs time which is expected.

2 hours ago, Link67 said:

Its awkward looking i'll give you that, but his overall speed is not a problem, he simply won't ever be in the same skating league was guys like Domi and Drouin. Skating is not a strength or a weakness for him, i'm more concerned with watching his reaction time, his quick decision making, his sense of anticipation. That is what he will need to get up to speed to allow the rest of his elite talent to come to the fore front and make him a very dynamic NHL player in the near future.

If your skating is not a strength in 2018 it is a weakness. 

That said he's young. I'm sure the Habs will hook him up with a skating coach and get him moving better.

1 hour ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

If your skating is not a strength in 2018 it is a weakness. 

That said he's young. I'm sure the Habs will hook him up with a skating coach and get him moving better.

Good thing Zadina’s skating wasn’t/isn’t great either. I know that’s who we both wanted. 

10 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Nick Suzuki sent to Owen Sound

Joel Ward released

Michal Moravcik and David Sklenicka sent to Laval

I'd expect a bunch of waiver announcements at noon. 

And I'm downright shocked Despres is still there on a PTO.

At same (underwhelming) talent , the CH has said publicly they will pick the quebequer

are Benn and Despres similar?

I think they want to confirm that, ship out Benn and waive Despres before the beginning of the season 

31 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

At same (underwhelming) talent , the CH has said publicly they will pick the quebequer

are Benn and Despres similar?

I think they want to confirm that, ship out Benn and waive Despres before the beginning of the season 

Despres has been the worst defenceman on the ice in nearly every game he's played.   He's been horrendous. 

They lying flat on his stomach and not moving play somehow worked last night, but that was pure luck, and most NHL players would embarass someone who does that. His passing has been awful..  His skating isn't there.  He's just not good at anything right now. 

I can't see the team keeping him.

The most I could see is an AHL contract if they think he needs time to work off the rust, but i can't see him being in the NHL. 

26 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Despres has been the worst defenceman on the ice in nearly every game he's played.   He's been horrendous. 

They lying flat on his stomach and not moving play somehow worked last night, but that was pure luck, and most NHL players would embarass someone who does that. His passing has been awful..  His skating isn't there.  He's just not good at anything right now. 

The most I could see is an AHL contract if they think he needs time to work off the rust, but i can't see him being in the NHL. 

He wasn't cut today. 

Lernout and Valiev have been better, but somehow Despres is still there :halm: No sleep 'ntil draft day :halm: Loose for Hugues is on baby!

How I see our opening day Roster

Drouin - Domi - Armia

Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Byron - Plekanec - Lehkonen

Hudon - Peca - Scherbak

Extra: De la Rose

IR: Deslauriers, Shaw

Rielly - Petry

Mete - Juulsen

Alzner - Schlemko

Extra: Benn

IR: Weber

Price

Niemi

That is a 22 man roster.  So now it becomes decision time.

Options the Habs have.

a) Keep Kotkaniemi for up to 9 games.  (I'd send him to Finland personally)

b) Keep Chaput as the 14th forward,

c) Keep Ouellet as the 8th Defenseman

I'd do c.

• Upvote 1

Got no use for any of Benn, Alzner, Despres.

Schlemko, I must be blind to not see any good play from him yet I guess?

Oulette would be my choice of the 5.

Not fussy whether Kotkaniemi stays and plays fro awhile longer, or sent home soon.

Don't think Chaput has looked too bad.

Any word on Deslauriers estimated time to recover?

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

deprees was God awful last night... his play judged at ice level clearly shows why he was average at best in the KHL as well last year... a simple play like finding scherback at the blue line turned into a dump out because of confidence. he couldnt make an outlet pass and reverted to dumping every time turning possession over. i dont think he can even start in Laval...

39 minutes ago, Commandant said:

How I see our opening day Roster

Drouin - Domi - Armia

Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Byron - Plekanec - Lehkonen

Hudon - Peca - Scherbak

Extra: De la Rose

IR: Deslauriers, Shaw

Rielly - Petry

Mete - Juulsen

Alzner - Schlemko

Extra: Benn

IR: Weber

Price

Niemi

That is a 22 man roster.  So now it becomes decision time.

Options the Habs have.

a) Keep Kotkaniemi for up to 9 games.  (I'd send him to Finland personally)

b) Keep Chaput as the 14th forward,

c) Keep Ouellet as the 8th Defenseman

I'd do c.

-i think Ouellet is ahead of Benn but because of contracts is behind him... even Lernout has showed more then Benn. ultimatley i think Ouelett makes this team at least to start with weber out!

-Kokaniemi was great last night. Man does he look like a kid out there in person though. Once he puts on 15-20 lbs he's gonna be a monster out there! Tall skinny kid with such a baby face. With that said he made a lot of little plays in the game that goes unnoticed and has great composure. Seems to play an effortless game. I'm very anxious to see if Julien throws him into the fire on Wednesday against tavares/ matthews/ kadri!

In the end contracts will play the biggest role in having him cut from the team. but at this juncture in training camp he has shown no reason at all to be cut.

-DeLaRose was to me the biggest disappointment last night. I get he's only a kid still but seems to be considered a vet because of his use over the last 4 seasons. But, he had a chance to separate himself last night and did nothing of the sort. played much to conservative for my liking!

-suzuki had a good game and played with confidence

-scherback i think has made this team. you could tell at ice level he has that extra talent over everyone else out there...