2018 Training Camp Thread

dlbalr

22 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

I get why, but i didn't think they would put Mccarron on waivers.

2009, 2010, 2011,2012, 2013... All basically first round busts 

What I have to laugh at is before training camp, MB saying that McCarron is a big part of the habs future. That’s right up there with they we have a better defence line after signing Alzner last year.

30 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

What I have to laugh at is before training camp, MB saying that McCarron is a big part of the habs future. That’s right up there with they we have a better defence line after signing Alzner last year.

First round draft picks beyond 20th have a 50%-50% chance.

we are hovering around that if you count that Sergachev, Juulsen and Galchenyuk are NHLers

but you are right that McCarron and Scherbak have been busts so far

9 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

we are hovering around that if you count that Sergachev, Juulsen and Galchenyuk are NHLers

I think most viewed him as a lousy pick in the first round when he was drafted.  What’s comical is that a few weeks ago, MB was still saying that he seee’s  McCarron as a big part of this team’s future.

Scherbak on the other hand is at least a skilled guy, who hopefully will put it together.

i also think part of the contributor to so many  first round picks being busts is the lousy player development by the habs management and keeping a bum like Lefebve for so long as the coach of the AHL team.

16 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

sherback hasn't even had an opportunity to play regular minutes in the nhl and we are calling him a bust...

McCarron for sure, what a let down... never was able to getting his skating up... which has ultimately done him in. and i was routing for him to take that next step in his skating... oh well

22 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I think most viewed him as a lousy pick in the first round when he was drafted.  What’s comical is that a few weeks ago, MB was still saying that he seee’s  McCarron as a big part of this team’s future.

Scherbak on the other hand is at least a skilled guy, who hopefully will put it together.

i also think part of the contributor to so many  first round picks being busts is the lousy player development by the habs management and keeping a bum like Lefebve for so long as the coach of the AHL team.

First of all, thank's for not blasting me for "defending management", I sincerely appreciate it.

Yes, it is comical that MB has painted himself in a corner on McCarron. He should know better. Let's hope he is not jinxing Domi

18 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

sherback hasn't even had an opportunity to play regular minutes in the nhl and we are calling him a bust...

McCarron for sure, what a let down... never was able to getting his skating up... which has ultimately done him in. and i was routing for him to take that next step in his skating... oh well

Me too, I was rooting for him. I wanted a vintage goon 4th line :)

15 minutes ago, Metallica said:

No I think it was a 4th or 3rd round pick you wanted for him if I remember correctly ?

Yes I did , pass me the ketchup for my crow sandwich 

McCarron seems like a bad pick until you go back and see which players were drafted after him. Basically there is nobody who has done anything in that vicinity of the draft. So if we hadn't picked him, we would have picked some other bust, because they all were pretty much busts.

And let's give credit to Bergevin for at least making the responsible decision and cutting him loose, rather than keeping him around just so he doesn't have to admit failure, or be seen publicly to be contradicting his earlier comments. I'll just be curious to see whether anyone picks McCarron up.

26 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

McCarron seems like a bad pick until you go back and see which players were drafted after him. Basically there is nobody who has done anything in that vicinity of the draft. So if we hadn't picked him, we would have picked some other bust, because they all were pretty much busts.

Uh... Theodore?

Literally the next pick after McCarron.

21 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Uh... Theodore?

Literally the next pick after McCarron.

Right. But other than that, it's slim pickins. It's not like you can point to a bunch of gems and say, 'gee, they really missed the boat in that draft."

24 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Right. But other than that, it's slim pickins. It's not like you can point to a bunch of gems and say, 'gee, they really missed the boat in that draft."

03' draft 2nd round they missed out on some good players.

3 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

What I have to laugh at is before training camp, MB saying that McCarron is a big part of the habs future.

3 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

What’s comical is that a few weeks ago, MB was still saying that he seee’s  McCarron as a big part of this team’s future.

Wanna go for a trifecta?:popcorn:

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Commandant said:

How I see our opening day Roster

Drouin - Domi - Armia

Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Byron - Plekanec - Lehkonen

Hudon - Peca - Scherbak

Extra: De la Rose

IR: Deslauriers, Shaw

Rielly - Petry

Mete - Juulsen

Alzner - Schlemko

Extra: Benn

IR: Weber

Price

Niemi

That is a 22 man roster.  So now it becomes decision time.

Options the Habs have.

a) Keep Kotkaniemi for up to 9 games.  (I'd send him to Finland personally)

b) Keep Chaput as the 14th forward,

c) Keep Ouellet as the 8th Defenseman

I'd do c.

Man, there is some potential in that forward group. No top 6 centre hurts, but I still see some potential to surprise in that line up.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

And let's give credit to Bergevin for at least making the responsible decision and cutting him loose, rather than keeping him around just so he doesn't have to admit failure, or be seen publicly to be contradicting his earlier comments. I'll just be curious to see whether anyone picks McCarron up.

The other problem is that the original plan was to draft De la Rose there. McCarron was going to be a 2nd round pick but they heard he was high on Anaheim's list and felt they had a better shot at DLR in the 2nd round.

1 hour ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

The other problem is that the original plan was to draft De la Rose there. McCarron was going to be a 2nd round pick but they heard he was high on Anaheim's list and felt they had a better shot at DLR in the 2nd round.

Looking at the list, Lehkonen is arguably the best player drafted after Theodore in the 1st/2nd rounds. And if we'd drafted him in McCarron's slot, and McCarron in Lehkonen's slot at at 55, everyone would be saying that was a good draft for us. (When you see that DLR - who I have no time for, really - is one of the best players in that 2nd round crop, you realize the mediocrity of what we're talking about!) So, if it makes people feel better, pretend that Lehkonen was picked at 25 instead of 55. Problem solved.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2013e.html

7 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Looking at the list, Lehkonen is arguably the best player drafted after Theodore in the 1st/2nd rounds. And if we'd drafted him in McCarron's slot, and vice-versa, everyone would be saying that was a good draft for us. (When you see that DLR - who I have no time for, really - is one of the best players in that 2nd round crop, you realize the mediocrity of what we're talking about!)

Valentin Zykov is going to be in a top 6 role with the Canes, Hes a darkhorse to keep an eye on.  I think he breaks out this year.

JT Compher is getting a bigger role in Colorado

Hartman was good enough to get a big return to Chicago from Nashville at last year's deadline.

Hagg and Santini are a pair of good defensive defenders.

Olofsson likely gets a role in Minnesota this year.

Tyler Bertuzzi will have a bigger role in Detroit now

Madison Bowey was decent for the Caps

Jarry was good as a goalie for the Penguins

3rd round is good... brett pesce, Jake Guentzel, Mattias Janmark, Anthony Duclair, Oliver Bjorkstrand, 

there was some talent there, although it was slim.

Of course I hated the McCarron pick the moment it was made.

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Mccarron was ranked at like 35 for North American Skaters. So I mean it's not like they went off the board to get him. 

Didnt like McCarron pick at time.

But, liked the Crisp pick...when seems he should be been similar to Pezzeta and later round.

Also liked Erne, Zykov, Heatherington, Sorensen who all have done nothing. Lehkonen pick looks good compared to rest of 2nd round that is for sure.

7 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

Mccarron was ranked at like 35 for North American Skaters. So I mean it's not like they went off the board to get him. 

I didnt like it myself, mostly because i had him much later on own list.

21 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Looking at the list, Lehkonen is arguably the best player drafted after Theodore in the 1st/2nd rounds. And if we'd drafted him in McCarron's slot, and McCarron in Lehkonen's slot at at 55, everyone would be saying that was a good draft for us. (When you see that DLR - who I have no time for, really - is one of the best players in that 2nd round crop, you realize the mediocrity of what we're talking about!) So, if it makes people feel better, pretend that Lehkonen was picked at 25 instead of 55. Problem solved.

I had been saying that for years but people act like the difference between a 25th overall pick and a 34th overall pick is a franchise forward and a bottom six grinder.

The McCarron pick was too early, DLR was bad draft philosophy (you don't take the guy who has trouble scoring with good defensive IQ in the top 50), and Fucale was a goalie gamble. Crisp was a terrible selection based on a single mythological story. Lehkonen was a solid pick, Andrighetto, and Reway were acceptable picks. Gregoire was a late pick. 

I care less about hindsight drafting and more what the draft philosophy was at the time. And in 2013 we felt pushed around by Ottawa, not needing D due to Tinordi and Beaulieu, and after Price was shaky in 2013 they wanted a just in case high goalie pick. Timmins draft philosophy that year was weak.

22 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

They did go off the board.

35 for NA skaters, is like a 50th rank overall when you add in the Euros, and he was taken at 25.

I had him at 60 personally.