2018 Training Camp Thread

dlbalr

I'm guessing the signing was more a desperation move after Mad Marc burned his bridges with Markov than a well-considered strategic decision. Either reflects badly on the GM, of course...but the only thing that doesn't reflect badly on that dumb-ass is the mirror in his private gym.

3 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

So was Alzner horrible in Washington? Or was last year an especially bad year and we can hope for some sort of improvement?  How can all of the Canadiens pro scouts get it that wrong? An overpayment at free agency is nothing new, but last year he played like a #6 defenseman. Can we hope for an improvement in his play and see him play as a #4 and belong there?

He was bad.

Remember how bad Mike Komisarek was after he left Montreal and didn't have Andrei Markov making him look good? That was Alzner and Carlson. Carlson has been so much better without him. Alzner hasn't been good since they removed him. 

He was an iron man who played with injuries so they eventually caught up to him, which is common for players like him. His point goals with us were in line with his totals in Washington for his last season, the one without Carlson. His plus minus is drastically different because Washington was a better team that scored more. 

He was a 7th defenceman in the playoffs. The head pro scout is Eric Crawford who was a laughing stock in Vancouver. Of course they scouted him, ignored how much Carlson carried him, assumed it was the other way around (people thought Markov would be exposed without Komisarek back in 2009), and that all he needed was a healthy summer.

He was a bad signing, but someone was gonna make a mistake with him. It just ended up us. 

3 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

He was bad.

Remember how bad Mike Komisarek was after he left Montreal and didn't have Andrei Markov making him look good? That was Alzner and Carlson. Carlson has been so much better without him. Alzner hasn't been good since they removed him. 

He was an iron man who played with injuries so they eventually caught up to him, which is common for players like him. His point goals with us were in line with his totals in Washington for his last season, the one without Carlson. His plus minus is drastically different because Washington was a better team that scored more. 

He was a 7th defenceman in the playoffs. The head pro scout is Eric Crawford who was a laughing stock in Vancouver. Of course they scouted him, ignored how much Carlson carried him, assumed it was the other way around (people thought Markov would be exposed without Komisarek back in 2009), and that all he needed was a healthy summer.

He was a bad signing, but someone was gonna make a mistake with him. It just ended up us. 

I wonder if there is a correlation between being an 'old school' guy (prizing grit and 'character' and size and toughness) and being mistaken about which half of a duo is carrying the other. Usually, it's the plodding 'character'/tough guy who is being carried by the skilled player - but dinosaurs like Marky Marc and his F*cked Up Bunch seem prone to drawing exactly the wrong conclusion.

31 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

Thanks for clarifying ;)

Feels weird just posting a tweet... I usually add something just to fill it out a bit more.

From now on I'll just add a picture of a kitten or a write a haiku.

Whatever happens from here on, I hope it’s best for his development. If he continues to show he belongs, incredible. But if he starts to struggle in that 7-8 games mark, sent him to Finland, and let him dominate the league. We could have an Elias Petterson on our hands this time next year

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

Whatever happens from here on, I hope it’s best for his development. If he continues to show he belongs, incredible. But if he starts to struggle in that 7-8 games mark, sent him to Finland, and let him dominate the league. We could have an Elias Petterson on our hands this time next year

Yeah, I'm definitely worried about rushing him. The problem kicks in if he starts to fade *after* the 9-game mark.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Julien confirmed that Kotkaniemi will break camp with Montreal. 

As much as I think he should go back to Finland, this honestly makes me really happy.

When he was first drafted a lot of people were really worried about it but the way he has performed has been admirable and his IQ is what makes him so special.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Yeah, I'm definitely worried about rushing him. The problem kicks in if he starts to fade *after* the 9-game mark.

Which happened with Mete.

No way do I play him more than the tryout amount. If he's ppg he still goes back. Let him return next season as a Calder contender. 

I want him at 19-26 or 20-27, not 18-25.

31 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

No way do I play him more than the tryout amount. If he's ppg he still goes back. Let him return next season as a Calder contender. 

Not 18-36 and then #15 hanging in the rafters at Bell Centre.

1 hour ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

I 100% want him here at 18-25 if it means he’s actually ready. Let’s not wish away a potential star 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

I 100% want him here at 18-25 if it means he’s actually ready. Let’s not wish away a potential star 

There's nothing to wish away. I want him under control for more time when the Habs will be good, which isn't anytime soon. You think he's gonna demand a trade if he doesn't make the club? Come on. 

1 hour ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Mete isn’t a better player today after the way he was handled last year albeit besides the broken bone?

He seems to be our best defender in training camp at least ...

And if kotkaniemi  is a PPG player he’d be the Calder front runner...

i think the point is if the player is this good this early and continues to “MERIT” a spot in the line up then who really cares because we will sign him long term...

lets just see how these first 4 games against the top dogs in the NHL play out then decide

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

There's nothing to wish away. I want him under control for more time when the Habs will be good, which isn't anytime soon. You think he's gonna demand a trade if he doesn't make the club? Come on. 

23 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Mete isn’t a better player today after the way he was handled last year albeit besides the broken bone?

He seems to be our best defender in training camp at least ...

And if kotkaniemi  is a PPG player he’d be the Calder front runner...

i think the point is if the player is this good this early and continues to “MERIT” a spot in the line up then who really cares because we will sign him long term...

lets just see how these first 4 games against the top dogs in the NHL play out then decide

Yes, if he merits a spot we shouldn’t be upset that we’re losing a year of control. If he really pans out at his peak potential than by the time his ELC is up we’d hope to have him signed to a Barkov or Scheifele type contract anyway. That’s seven years from now at least 

27 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Despres is still around which is a little surprising.

He's getting a two way deal. I can smell it.

From the Ottawa Citizen: "Julien said Saturday he likes what he has seen from Després and he could be that guy waiting for the call-up from Laval. The Canadiens must decide whether he has enough of an upside to merit a contract."

59 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

He's getting a two way deal. I can smell it.

When he has already said he'd sign an AHL deal though, why give him the two-way right away?  Let him sign the AHL contract and if they decide they want to call him up at some point, then they can convert it.

47 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

When he has already said he'd sign an AHL deal though, why give him the two-way right away?  Let him sign the AHL contract and if they decide they want to call him up at some point, then they can convert it.

Because Julien seems to like him, and I got a feeling Juulsen starts in the AHL.