Muller signs a two-year extension

dlbalr

Huge fan of having him around awhile longer, having the whole element of a former player, a former Hab, and a former captain of the Habs, behind the bench, is invaluable. Especially from a culture stand point, he won't let these guys take a dump on what it means play here, to wear that sweater, he's been there, done that, and lead the way. There is literally no excuse not to get on board with him as a current player, Muller is a competent instructor, and he has literally lived what you are living, been in your shoes, at the highest level, and succeeded, all you have to do is soak it all in.

Kirk Muller runs the powerplay. Despite only winning 29 games, Montreal had the 13th best powerplay in the league. The only teams in the Top 20 powerplay with less than 40 wins were the 6th place Islanders (35), 9th place Canucks (31), and 20th place Sabres (25). Out of those teams Montreal had the least powerplay opportunities (though were only separated by 2 with Vancouver) at 245. 

In 16-17 the Habs were 13th again, albeit with a lower percentage. But they also were 27th in opportunities. In 15-16 the powerplay sucked and was 25th (pre-Muller) but also was 11th for PP opportunities. Between 12-13 and 15-16, the Habs were 6th in PP opportunities and 23rd in PP. 16-17 to 17-18 (smaller sample size I know) we're 23rd in PP opportunities but 11th in powerplay. You can draw your own conclusions on some of that. I should add that between 12-13 and 15-16, Subban was 4th in PP goals and 1st in PP points with Markov 11th in PP goals and 4th in PP points so it wasn't like the firepower wasn't there. Muller is making a serious contribution to the team in the way they play the powerplay in ways the crappy coaches Therrien brought in before Muller couldn't.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Kirk Muller runs the powerplay. Despite only winning 29 games, Montreal had the 13th best powerplay in the league. The only teams in the Top 20 powerplay with less than 40 wins were the 6th place Islanders (35), 9th place Canucks (31), and 20th place Sabres (25). Out of those teams Montreal had the least powerplay opportunities (though were only separated by 2 with Vancouver) at 245. 

In 16-17 the Habs were 13th again, albeit with a lower percentage. But they also were 27th in opportunities. In 15-16 the powerplay sucked and was 25th (pre-Muller) but also was 11th for PP opportunities. Between 12-13 and 15-16, the Habs were 6th in PP opportunities and 23rd in PP. 16-17 to 17-18 (smaller sample size I know) we're 23rd in PP opportunities but 11th in powerplay. You can draw your own conclusions on some of that. I should add that between 12-13 and 15-16, Subban was 4th in PP goals and 1st in PP points with Markov 11th in PP goals and 4th in PP points so it wasn't like the firepower wasn't there. Muller is making a serious contribution to the team in the way they play the powerplay in ways the crappy coaches Therrien brought in before Muller couldn't.

Yes, i imagine Gallant will never get a NHL coaching gig ever again.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

I don't think he meant Gallant. 

Pretty sure he was talking about Dan Lacroix

"powerplay in ways the crappy coaches Therrien brought in before Muller couldn't"

Doesn't sound like 'a specific coach', although the PP took a nosedive with Gallant running it as well.

But, likely lack of skill is bigger issue than specific coach.

On 16/09/2018 at 8:54 PM, Machine of Loving Grace said:

That is excellent analysis. To have a team with that pathetic talent level - especially with Weber injured for weeks - finish 13th on the PP does suggest excellent coaching by Captain Kirk :thumbs_up: Thanks for this post.