Sept. 19, Panthers vs Habs, 7:30 PM

JoeLassister

14 minutes ago, titanfan said:

Seriously?  So you just used your keyboard to 'sucker punch' a young hockey player?

I wouldn't even call what Domi did  a sucker punch.  He was looking Ekblad right in the ey (or at least the chin)  Ekblad, the much bigger player, could have defended himself.  

So we have a young hockey player, who is willing to play tough and we call him human garbage?  Wow!  Welcome to Montreal, where we throw Habs players under the bus!!!

Terrible. 

I don't want Domi's on Montreal. Heck they shouldn't be in the league. I want skilled players who play the game right. You know, the kind of guys who can score 30 goals. Not sure how to get a guy like that. Maybe you have to draft them. 

Max Domi is garbage like his dad and him grabbing a player who doesn't want to fight and socking him is extra awful when wearing a Habs sweater. Maybe you enjoy someone not playing hockey in hockey, but I watch hockey for hockey. I'll be glad to throw him and Shaw under the bus and drive it myself. Never wanted them here and I'm sure as hell not gonna start making excuses for their behaviour.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Max Domi is garbage like his dad and him grabbing a player who doesn't want to fight and socking him is extra awful when wearing a Habs sweater. Maybe you enjoy someone not playing hockey in hockey, but I watch hockey for hockey. 

But spearing / slashing bumping into Price is all fine and dandy. Our guys should just “take it” because that’s how you like your hockey where no one sticks up for himself and players just get rolled over. 

Human garbage seems excessive, but Domi’s actions shouldn’t be defended either in my opinion. You don’t drop the glove and clock someone who clearly isn’t engaging in the fight. If you want him to retaliate, make him angry by playing hard hockey, and I don’t know, maybe scoring a few goals? 

It was dirty, and should keep him out of all remaining preseason. Also doesn’t make him human garbage. He was losing, lost his temper, and made a mistake. We’ve probably all done worse. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Scott462 said:

But spearing / slashing bumping into Price is all fine and daddy. Our guys should just “take it” because that’s how you like your hockey where no one sticks up for himself and players just get rolled over. 

Price is a big boy. He can take care of himself. And does our team suck so much that Florida's defenceman can be in Price's grill and we do nothing to make them pay on the scoreboard? Guess so. 

I'll take a team that gets rolled over but wins the game over a team that sticks up for itself but can't win a game. What did Boston Bruins fans call those? Oh right. Moral victories. Enjoy your moral victories because this team is gonna lead the league in them.

6 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Price is a big boy. He can take care of himself. And does our team suck so much that Florida's defenceman can be in Price's grill and we do nothing to make them pay on the scoreboard? Guess so. 

I'll take a team that gets rolled over but wins the game over a team that sticks up for itself but can't win a game. What did Boston Bruins fans call those? Oh right. Moral victories. Enjoy your moral victories because this team is gonna lead the league in them.

Price is a big boy huh? Like how he had to “handle” that Jersey player because no one would do anything about them taking liberties? Nice.

It was a pre season game where we had less than half of our roster against a full roster from the Panthers and we still kept it close until the very end when Niemi let in a couple stinkers. I fail to see how that’s relevant to this situation in standing up for yourself which automatically means you will lose the game. 

25 minutes ago, Scott462 said:

From what I have heard it’s going to be a phone call disciplinary hearing which usually means it won’t be that severe. I doubt he will miss any regular season games.

I’m actually not, players need to stand up for themselves not taking liberties all over the place. Ekblad was acting like an idiot and got gut checked and didn’t want any of it, if you don’t want none don’t start none.

I have no Bruins envy pal but I enjoy watching teammates stick up for one another and refusing to get pushed around. For so long have the Habs had to put up with teams taking liberties without any fear of reprisal.

Phone call only means that it can't be more than 5 regular season games.   I wouldn't be surprised at all if he gets 1 or 2 regular season games. 

8 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Phone call only means that it can't be more than 5 regular season games.   I wouldn't be surprised at all if he gets 1 or 2 regular season games. 

I didn’t know that, I was of the mind that a phone hearing was just not as bad. Guess we will have to wait and see.

I'm all for gooning a guy against his will if he takes liberties with your goaltender or a star player, and then refuses to drop them to answer for it.  I didn't watch the whole game, so I'm not in a position to know if Eckblad committed such a transgression or not.

43 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

If the next Florida game we see the Panthers taking runs at Habs players, it will be the league to blame for such a soft suspension. It is their job to make the right calls, and this one will only upset that locker room.

It wasn't THAT bad. 

They're going to be looking for Domi either way 

I haven’t caught a minute of preseason yet, though I’d love to change that tonight. The only highlights I’ve seen so far are Kotkaniemi’s goal as well as this Domi thing. The worst part of it was the outcome. Something that led to Eklbad being that bloody should be suspended. We’ve seen that situation before though, with a less severe outcome and nothing more than a 2 minute penalty comes from it. If you’re Eklbad in that situation and smiling at Domi’s frustration, you might expect a punch. I think the rest of the preseason suspension is a good sentence.

48 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

If the next Florida game we see the Panthers taking runs at Habs players, it will be the league to blame for such a soft suspension. It is their job to make the right calls, and this one will only upset that locker room.

Or they could penalize the taking runs.

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

It wasn't THAT bad. 

Think about it.

If you only lose a few exhibition games for grabbing a guy who doesn't want to fight and punching him in the face, who is to stop someone doing it to McDavid? Matthews? Eichel? Laine? Kotkaniemi in his rookie season? Oh just a wrist slap for decking someone who doesn't want to fight? Cool time to punch anyone because that ain't bad.

Sets a terrible precedent similar to how the original suspensions for high hits did nothing to stop the Cookes of the world from doing it until his 10 gamer after elbowing Mcdonagh (he still knee on kneed a guy in 2014 but he stopped the head shots)

It is obvious that Domi let his emotions get the better of him which led to a bone headed, heat of the moment, stupid decision on his part. With that said though, there is WAY too much volatile reaction from some about it, Max is not exactly a league leader in cheap shots, and some of the reactions certainly can't be justified based on his track record. Yes it was dumb, yes it was illegal, yes it deserves a suspension. No it does not make Domi a gutless puke, no he is not his father, and no he is not a cheap shot artist, he is simply a young guy, with a big temper, who can fly off the handle from time to time. He will learn from it, I am sure the staff will inform him how they rather he play hockey than let himself get all fired up to the point of stupid decisions like that. He didn't skate from one zone to another and take someone's knee out, or elbow someone in the head unsuspectingly way after they got rid of the puck, he felt antagonized by Ekblad's wild stick work. For lack of a better term, he lost his shit over it finally, he took it too far, it is not something he should be doing then, or in the future. At least it was an over reaction on a retaliation, and not a head hunting injury attempt, as we have seen so many times from many other more heinous players in this league.

So lets take a chill pill on the incident, put the flame throwers away, and react accordingly ourselves, as fans. We know the incident is wrong, we hope to not see that type of thing from him again in the future, we hope he learned something from it that helps him try to keep a more level headed approach to his game management. But it looks an awful lot like some fans are already turning their frustration with the trade that brought him here, into an over reaction about the incident. That is likely just the tip of the iceberg to how little slack this kid is going to have here with some of our fans this year, because he happened to be traded for Galchenyuk, a situation he had full control of, of course. I see it already, on social media, on here, some are already starting to let it boil over, just because of the trade, any Domi situation will start at defcon 3, and hit defcon 5 at marveling speeds. He punches a player who is not answering the bell, and he is the worst person in the league, not a hot head who needs to cool it. If he has a bad game, he will be untalented and a 3rd liner at best, not a young top 6 forward who has an off night like anyone else.

It is like we are blind as a fan base, we have this sickening reputation of being volatile, harsh, overly critical, and a hard market to play for, and based on what I've seen from some of our fanbase on different social media platforms today, and anytime we go through a scrutinizing situation, we are only cementing it. Some say to become an attractive place to play for players, you need a winning team, everyone is so quick to blame our losing record for why real top players scoff at us during the summer without looking in the mirror, or the big picture. It is more than that, the on ice situation accounts for 50% of the equation, the off ice situations is the other 50%, and generally speaking our off ice situation in Montreal has just as much, if not even more work to do than our on ice situation, and that's bloody saying something....

Signed,

A Hab fan who just doesn't get some of his fellow Hab fans

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Trizzak said:

This actually hurts Domi and the Habs a bit, as that's fewer games for Max to try at center.

I agree, I have said numerous times that he shouldn’t have thrown the punch. Giving him a face wash and a couple jabs would have done the trick in showing Ekblad that he wasn’t having it anymore.

Also according to Claude Julien Domi regrets it now, was caught in the heat of the moment felt Ekblad was taking too many liberties and went a little too far. Domi is not a dumb guy from what I have heard I’m sure he will learn from it.

32 minutes ago, Link67 said:

It is obvious that Domi let his emotions get the better of him which led to a bone headed, heat of the moment, stupid decision on his part. With that said though, there is WAY too much volatile reaction from some about it, Max is not exactly a league leader in cheap shots, and some of the reactions certainly can't be justified based on his track record. Yes it was dumb, yes it was illegal, yes it deserves a suspension. No it does not make Domi a gutless puke, no he is not his father, and no he is not a cheap shot artist, he is simply a young guy, with a big temper, who can fly off the handle from time to time. He will learn from it, I am sure the staff will inform him how they rather he play hockey than let himself get all fired up to the point of stupid decisions like that. He didn't skate from one zone to another and take someone's knee out, or elbow someone in the head unsuspectingly way after they got rid of the puck, he felt antagonized by Ekblad's wild stick work. For lack of a better term, he lost his shit over it finally, he took it too far, it is not something he should be doing then, or in the future. At least it was an over reaction on a retaliation, and not a head hunting injury attempt, as we have seen so many times from many other more heinous players in this league.

So lets take a chill pill on the incident, put the flame throwers away, and react accordingly ourselves, as fans. We know the incident is wrong, we hope to not see that type of thing from him again in the future, we hope he learned something from it that helps him try to keep a more level headed approach to his game management. But it looks an awful lot like some fans are already turning their frustration with the trade that brought him here, into an over reaction about the incident. That is likely just the tip of the iceberg to how little slack this kid is going to have here with some of our fans this year, because he happened to be traded for Galchenyuk, a situation he had full control of, of course. I see it already, on social media, on here, some are already starting to let it boil over, just because of the trade, any Domi situation will start at defcon 3, and hit defcon 5 at marveling speeds. He punches a player who is not answering the bell, and he is the worst person in the league, not a hot head who needs to cool it. If he has a bad game, he will be untalented and a 3rd liner at best, not a young top 6 forward who has an off night like anyone else.

It is like we are blind as a fan base, we have this sickening reputation of being volatile, harsh, overly critical, and a hard market to play for, and based on what I've seen from some of our fanbase on different social media platforms today, and anytime we go through a scrutinizing situation, we are only cementing it. Some say to become an attractive place to play for players, you need a winning team, everyone is so quick to blame our losing record for why real top players scoff at us during the summer without looking in the mirror, or the big picture. It is more than that, the on ice situation accounts for 50% of the equation, the off ice situations is the other 50%, and generally speaking our off ice situation in Montreal has just as much, if not even more work to do than our on ice situation, and that's bloody saying something....

Signed,

A Hab fan who just doesn't get some of his fellow Hab fans

Agreed 100%

35 minutes ago, Link67 said:

It is obvious that Domi let his emotions get the better of him which led to a bone headed, heat of the moment, stupid decision on his part.

If this is how he acts during an exhibition game, what is he gonna do when someone cross checks him in an important game and doesn't get called?

Stupid player makes stupid decisions when provoked. Guess what? Everyone will provoke him. This was nothing to him. Habs will still play him at centre because they are pathetic down the middle (even with Peca impressing) so it doesn't hurt there. Honestly I don't mind since I want this team to lose as many games as possible but the fact we got this piece of trash who can't score 6 goals in a season with a goalie in the net for Alex Galchenyuk just irks me to no end. 

And i've been generally positive on all of Bergevin's moves since the deadline with exception to this and not making Shaw available to trade. I thought he was trash before he came here and he's proving it. Someone else can waste their time and effort on him and Shaw.

1 hour ago, Fanpuck33 said:

Real character guy Bergevin brought in! Ridiculous that he was not suspended for any regular season games.

He may not have character, but I like his attitude. 

• Upvote 1