Sept. 20, Caps vs Habs, 7:00 PM

dlbalr

9 minutes ago, Commandant said:

The great thing about Finland is that the season ends before the NHL season ends.  You tell him... look kid... go to Finland, have a good season, have a good World Juniors, work on x,y,z and when the season is done we'll give you a few NHL games in March/April.  We only get 9 games with you, so we want to save them. 

That is also a time of year when there is no roster limit.

Shit that’s a really good idea.

Hope the Habs stick to that.

10 minutes ago, Scott462 said:

Shit that’s a really good idea.

Hope the Habs stick to that.

That's my preference as well.  We had a two-part piece on what the Habs should do with Kotkaniemi earlier this month and that idea was a big part of my reasoning to send him back to Finland.

Stay in Finland: http://www.habsworld.net/2018/08/why-jesperi-kotkaniemi-should-stay-in-finland-in-2018-19/

Play in Montreal: http://www.habsworld.net/2018/09/why-jesperi-kotkaniemi-should-play-in-montreal-in-2018-19/

13 minutes ago, Scott462 said:

I’m with you in spirit.

But what if he forces the issue? Or maybe just give him the 9 games for the experience but like you said the Habs would be forced to waive a potential player. It’s an interesting situation. He has looked damn good though, I’m feeling pretty happy from what I have seen from him thus far.

Think back to Sergachev's rookie season when he started with the Habs.  During the pre-season he looked very good. But when the regular season began, the flaws in his game appeared, showing he was not yet ready.  The Habs braintrust made the right decision to send him back to the OHL. 

That's what I worry about for J.K. is they keep him as an 18 year old for the whole season, and the expectation on him to succeed are immediate and in his face every day by the media, especially since this team is not expected to be good this season. Give the kid at least another season to develop in Europe.

15 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

That's my preference as well.  We had a two-part piece on what the Habs should do with Kotkaniemi earlier this month and that idea was a big part of my reasoning to send him back to Finland.

Stay in Finland: http://www.habsworld.net/2018/08/why-jesperi-kotkaniemi-should-stay-in-finland-in-2018-19/

Play in Montreal: http://www.habsworld.net/2018/09/why-jesperi-kotkaniemi-should-play-in-montreal-in-2018-19/

Thanks for this. I’ll be giving them a read after the game.

14 minutes ago, habscout said:

Think back to Sergachev's rookie season when he started with the Habs.  During the pre-season he looked very good. But when the regular season began, the flaws in his game appeared, showing he was not yet ready.  The Habs braintrust made the right decision to send him back to the OHL. 

That's what I worry about for J.K. is they keep him as an 18 year old for the whole season, and the expectation on him to succeed are immediate and in his face every day by the media, especially since this team is not expected to be good this season. Give the kid at least another season to develop in Europe.

Yep I remember that. He got exposed physically pretty quickly and his on ice decisions were not quite ready.

Like I said I’m right there with you guys, no need to rush him. Do what’s best for his development and luckily from Bergevins recent comments about picking the best player long term I’m hoping this is the direction they are leaning.

For the love of all the Habs past greats, please send down or cut Despres!  He's been terrible tonight, and was not any better in the first game.

7 minutes ago, Chris said:

I agree, 

but MB and CJ like the vets for better or worse

I would go 

Riley Petry

Mete Juulson

Valiev and either Benn or Schlemko

Might be missing someone

Alzner will be there

12 minutes ago, Chris said:

I new i forgot someone, thanks, 

That is a gruesome 3 some 

Benn, Alzner and Schlemko in the same lineup

Alzner being the highest paid and my least favorite of the bunch. That signing hurt me the day it happened. Even worse now.

11 minutes ago, Chris said:

I new i forgot someone, thanks, 

That is a gruesome 3 some 

Benn, Alzner and Schlemko in the same lineup

At least with Benn, I guarantee he will be gone before the trade deadline.  I'm very sure there will be a playoff bound team that needs depth on defence due to a regular being injured.

Schlemko I hope will rebound somewhat this regular season, although he hasn't shown much so far in the pre-season.  They won't be able to move him.

I don't even want to think about Alzner. :-(

23 minutes ago, habscout said:

For the love of all the Habs past greats, please send down or cut Despres!  He's been terrible tonight, and was not any better in the first game.

If he didn't have an NHL track record, I think he'd be among the first round of cuts.  He'll probably get another game but he hasn't looked good.  He said in the summer he'd be open to an AHL deal in Laval and that's what I hope he takes.

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Well, that was a fun period.  I have no idea how Montreal's defence is holding things together but holding Washington without a shot for 15 minutes is impressive.

I am far from an expert, but it seems like Luke Richardson and the coaches have the CH playing much better D

5 hours ago, Meller93 said:

Not sure where those Kotkaniemi skating concerns came from. He's actually fast out there, even in the NHL

He's faster this year. it was noticeable almost from his first game at the U18 showcase

I still wouldn't call him fast though. He's keeping up with the play.  Its also pre-season still.  The games are going to get faster.

His skating stride is still awkward though

That said his biggest skating issue is balance and strength, He's knocked over too easily

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Tatar is in a make or break season for his career. I'd expect high motivation and decent production.

Too bad Scherbak didnt realize he is in similar boat. Or maybe he just isnt very good.

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Tatar is in a make or break season for his career. I'd expect high motivation and decent production.

He's scored 20 goals in each of the last 4 seasons.  He had a rough time in Vegas.  I'm not sure its make or break for his career. 

7 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

One thing I notice for sure, He does not look like the same player I saw during some of the Vegas playoff games I watched. He is a noticeable danger on the ice with the puck, much like he was in some of the games I have seen him live at the Joe over the years. I am not sure where it all went wrong for his game in Vegas, but I see the Tatar I saw at the Joe so far, lots of pace, lots of skill, lots of danger.