Sept. 22, Sens vs Habs, 7:00 PM

dlbalr

13 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I'd be uneasy about it. It's best to avoid putting kids in situations where their confidence can be at risk.

Alternatively, put them together now because they could be the team's 1st pairing in 2 years. When the team is out of the rebuild I want Mete and Juulsen to have bonded so much they speak their own language to each other like twins. 

55 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Alternatively, put them together now because they could be the team's 1st pairing in 2 years. When the team is out of the rebuild I want Mete and Juulsen to have bonded so much they speak their own language to each other like twins. 

If there was a poll with this option, it would get my vote:

#Mete&Juulsen@Habs2020

Kokiniemi is looking better and better by the minute. Clearly preseason is preseason and should be taken for what it is. With that said, the kid looks to be on par with the pace. Has a great stick and seems to be following the play with nice anticipation... couple that with 3 shots off the bar and he was was inches Away from leaving a real impression on the score sheet as well. 

After listening to MB interview with marinaro last week, I would not be surprised at all to see koki start the season here if his play doesn’t drop off...

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I'd be uneasy about it. It's best to avoid putting kids in situations where their confidence can be at risk.

Great to hear the good reviews of Drouin. Another year like last year from him would be pretty depressing.

Honestly, I'd be more uneasy sticking them with an Alzner or Benn, having to pick up slack for vets game after game. Together at least you know they are both going to be playing competent hockey, and they can just focus on their own game. Sure some youthful mistakes will take place from time to time, but I can deal with that a lot better than some below average vets putting them in sticky situations with their own insolence on the ice.

35 minutes ago, Link67 said:

Honestly, I'd be more uneasy sticking them with an Alzner or Benn, having to pick up slack for vets game after game. Together at least you know they are both going to be playing competent hockey, and they can just focus on their own game. Sure some youthful mistakes will take place from time to time, but I can deal with that a lot better than some below average vets putting them in sticky situations with their own insolence on the ice.

Alzner was such a terrible signing. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Great to hear the good reviews of Drouin. Another year like last year from him would be pretty depressing.

T-C-C, like the second half of last year, this year is right to let Mete and Juulsen establish themselves in the league. As a second pair, they will be fine, mistakes and all

Out of Schlemko, Benn and Alzner: Benn has been the worse

I think that Ouellet and Lernout are decent 6th or 7th D. Paired with one of the three ancient ones (schelemko, Benn, Alzner), it would make for an ok D-lineup in the loose for Hughes year.

and if the preseason can be any indication: Richardson has them playing better than DD last year

Edited by alfredoh2009
Typos

24 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Yeah I am all for keeping Mete and Juulsen together.

Petry can play with Reilly. Alzner and Benn can either play together on a bottom pair or rotate in the press box. 

Ha! I do tend to be conservative in my expectations of young players, and this thread has been unanimous in slapping down my hand-wringing. All I will say is that the argument that Habs' veteran D are terrible, and that therefore a rookie should be paired with a sophomore, is a symptom of a horrible hockey club rather than a rebuttal to my concern about the kids getting ground down and losing confidence. Anyhow, let's see how it plays out. If the two play together and succeed, that woukd certainly be a great development for our future.

27 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Yeah I am all for keeping Mete and Juulsen together.

Petry can play with Reilly. Alzner and Benn can either play together on a bottom pair or rotate in the press box. 

My preference is for Mete-Juulsen to be the top pair in Laval until Weber's return

To really evaluate the other we have and trade the redundant or non/core pieces at the trade deadline

kerping them at the NHL level may make the CH "good enough" for a wild-card long shot 

6 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

My preference is for Mete-Juulsen to be the top pair in Laval until Weber's return

To really evaluate the other we have and trade the redundant or non/core pieces at the trade deadline

kerping them at the NHL level may make the CH "good enough" for a wild-card long shot 

No team is going to make player utilization decisions with the deliberate intention of losing hockey games. And our main concern should be with developing Mete and Juulsen. I suspect both guys need NHL minutes at this stage - especially the former.

7 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Ha! I do tend to be conservative in my expectations of young players, and this thread has been unanimous in slapping down my hand-wringing. All I will say is that the argument that Habs' veteran D are terrible, and that therefore a rookie should be paired with a sophomore, is a symptom of a horrible hockey club rather than a rebuttal to my concern about the kids getting ground down and losing confidence. Anyhow, let's see how it plays out. If the two play together and succeed, that woukd certainly be a great development for our future.

Sometimes young players can't deal with the mistakes and losing but the good players thrive on the lessons. While Mete can be put with a veteran RD in Petry or a returning Weber, Juulsen is screwed in having to put a guy like Alzner with him where all he will learn is that you can find a sucker when you hit free agency if your career has been covered up by a better player. All Juulsen can do is make Alzner look better or be pulled down by him.

Let's say we had a guy like Yandle on the left side. Then I would be fine doing Mete-Petry and Yandle-Juulsen. But in our current situation, it is better to develop chemistry between Mete and Juulsen than tie an anchor to either player.

7 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

No team is going to make player utilization decisions with the deliberate intention of losing hockey games. And our main concern should be with developing Mete and Juulsen. I suspect both guys need NHL minutes at this stage - especially the former.

I think one or two month with Joel Bouchard and team may be beneficial for their development. To improve specific aspects of their games and to dominate.

Then to come back with the full team and Weber and start the turn around of the club's fortunes together