Streaming

bar

I'm trying Rogers NHL Live this year.  Last night was the first chance I had to give it a whirl, and it was pretty good.  There were a few odd glitches (i.e., didn't work on Chrome, and the XB1 log-in was buggy). 2 games didn't have streams, but I was able to watch all of the other games no problem.

Check for blackouts if you use Rogers. I have been very happy with it over all.  Don't think I will do it this year.  Trying to reduce subscription costs.  Cell, cable, netflix, Amazon, gamecenter,  Sirius, multiple hockey and football pools + kid in university = broke dad. The marxists believe I owe them, so I will have to consume less to fund marxist ideals.

• Like 1

I haven't enjoyed Centre Ice very much. For example, it's tended to freeze on the "ads" graphic, staying stuck there even after the game has resumed. I then have to log out and back in to get to the game, a laborious process especially because the system has tended to get confused if I use more than one device for watching games. (E.g., if I used a tablet last time, it seems to resist allowing my to log into the 'TV' stream through my PS3 next time). On the tablet, if I touch the screen during play I sometimes inadvertently get taken to a different out-of-town game and then have to clamber my way back into the Habs' stream.  And there have been a few other irritants. Admittedly, though, part of this may have to do with the fact that I'm using a fairly old tablet and a fairly old gaming system (PS3) to do the streaming. But by and large, I find it to be like a lot of technological 'solutions' - not nearly as easy to use or as effective as all the propaganda makes it sound.

On 2018-09-23 at 8:06 AM, Link67 said:

I use the Rogers NHL Live subscription, and use the app on my PS4, makes for easy man cave hockey nights.

I also used Rogers NHL Live last year abd it was great. But I did call Rogers last week for this years season and was told its no longer available this year.. 

any truth to this? 

36 minutes ago, habs#4,9,10,33 said:

I also used Rogers NHL Live last year abd it was great. But I did call Rogers last week for this years season and was told its no longer available this year.. 

any truth to this? 

Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and 2nd generation Apple TV’s no longer work with NHL Live

It is still available

I only had a PS3, so I went out and bought a chromecast (paid $45) and it works with that. 

17 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and 2nd generation Apple TV’s no longer work with NHL Live

It is still available

I only had a PS3, so I went out and bought a chromecast (paid $45) and it works with that. 

Great!

I’ll look on purchasing one right away..

Thanks 

8 hours ago, habs#4,9,10,33 said:

any truth to this? 

It's no longer included on phone contracts.  I had signed up with Rogers  in June specifically for the NHL LIVE package, and after months of getting various answers, the NHL rep said it's no longer included.  I argued for literally an hour and a half; in that time they tried to tell me that 1) it was never offered, 2) it was initially offered but since I didn't pay for it, they had no obligation to deliver it, and 3) that I had chosen Spotify over it (nope).  Finally, they offered me $20 off... which is actually the early bird pricing.  I got a wee bit agitated at that point, as you can imagine, and it finally ended up with them agreeing to credit me the cost of a year's subscription if I signed up right then.

That all being said, I now see that 52/82 Habs games are blacked out in my region.  So like BCHabnut said, check that out before subscribing.  I think TSN Go carries the bulk of games, so I might try that out.  Anyone use that?

On 24/09/2018 at 7:12 PM, lazy26 said:

That all being said, I now see that 52/82 Habs games are blacked out in my region.  So like BCHabnut said, check that out before subscribing.  I think TSN Go carries the bulk of games, so I might try that out.  Anyone use that?

How can TSN G0 carry most Habs games when Rogers/Sportsnet has the contract? I'm confused.

28 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

How can TSN G0 carry most Habs games when Rogers/Sportsnet has the contract? I'm confused.

TSN has Montreal's regional rights and will be airing 52 games within the Canadiens viewing region.  Sportsnet has the national rights and will have the other 30 games.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

TSN has Montreal's regional rights and will be airing 52 games within the Canadiens viewing region.  Sportsnet has the national rights and will have the other 30 games.

Thanks.

So if we live outside the 'region' TSN Go is not an option. Correct - ?

I frigging hate that ever since TSN lost the contract, people living west of Quebec need to have some sort of Excel charts to figure out how to watch Habs' games. :angry::angry::angry:

16 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I frigging hate that ever since TSN lost the contract, people living west of Quebec need to have some sort of Excel charts to figure out how to watch Habs' games. :angry::angry::angry:

Correct.  You then have to look at the Centre Ice TV or streaming package.

This was going to happen either way.  RDS kept national exclusivity for the Habs until the expiration of the contract because there wasn't another national French sports network at the time but now there is.  Even if the TV setup remained exactly the same, this still would have happened.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Has anyone tried TSN Go with a VPN, to get the games outside of Quebec?

44 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Thanks.

Its pretty frustrating.  I'm considering just watching whatever is on regular cable here in Victoria,  and focusing on football. I hate seeing Carey exposed by this echl defense. We shall see. Chances are I will break down and do Roger's again. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

Its pretty frustrating.  I'm considering just watching whatever is on regular cable here in Victoria,  and focusing on football. I hate seeing Carey exposed by this echl defense. We shall see. Chances are I will break down and do Roger's again. 

I hear ya, fellow BC soul brother. I might try Centre Ice this time. Not a big fan of watching on devices, as I grumbled about earlier in this thread. But it is undeniably true that the likeliest outcome will be me sitting down to watch a game, getting disgusted by the combination of Habs' being boring and being inept, and turn off the TV (or device) sometime in the second period, on many nights.

9 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Not a big fan of watching on devices, as I grumbled about earlier in this thread.

Use a Chromecast or plug your laptop into your TV with an HDMI cable. That's what I do, I don't watch enough TV to warrant paying for a cable package.

I ended up not getting centre ice because I live in NS the 'habs region' I have so many games blacked out,  it's horse shit. I guess I'm going the illegal route, even though I tried to pay for it.

19 hours ago, bar said:

I ended up not getting centre ice because I live in NS the 'habs region' I have so many games blacked out,  it's horse shit. I guess I'm going the illegal route, even though I tried to pay for it.

The NHL and the networks they do business with bring this on themselves, in my opinion; the complexity of regional viewing restrictions and blackouts drive many people to illegal streaming who would otherwise gladly pay for an easy all-access package.