Byron Re-signed - 4 yr, 13.6

revvvrob

I wonder if this contract doesn’t actually make him even more valuable in a trade?

27 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

That seems like great value for a 20 goal guy, but with so many wingers and a "retooling" year it seemed like a bit of a no-brainer to trade him and make room for some youth. 

Boooo!

26 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Not a fan of this. Team has way too many wingers right now and will down the road. He had some value at the deadline to get a good pick. 

That said, good kid, seems happy to be a Hab. 

I'm happy for Byron - love the guy - but I share some of these concerns. He might be a prototypical 'good player on bad teams' guy, apt to find himself crowded out on a strong roster. Also, he's 100% reliant on speed, and the second he loses a step he becomes a marginal player. 

In any case, he is likely deadline bait, so if the contract does turn out to be too long (I have no problem with the salary) it'll be some other team's problem.

8 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I'm happy for Byron - love the guy - but I share some of these concerns. He might be a prototypical 'good player on bad teams' guy, apt to find himself crowded out on a strong roster. Also, he's 100% reliant on speed, and the second he loses a step he becomes a marginal player. 

In any case, he is likely deadline bait, so if the contract does turn out to be too long (I have no problem with the salary) it'll be some other team's problem.

Same contract length as Drouin, only Price and Weber longer. 

• Upvote 1

• dlbalr changed the title to Byron Re-signed - 4 yr, 13.6
1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I don't see Byron getting dealt 

17 hours ago, Neech said:

I love Byron, but this is another example of Bergevin overpaying 'his guys' against better judgment.  We need to be acquiring youth, assets, and flexibility, and this deal makes it harder for a contender to trade for him.

Definitely not a Bergevin supporter, but I find it hard to criticize this deal. Byron is reliable, relatively low cost secondary scoring who can occasionally play up in the line-up and kills penalties. Even if we are “re-setting” we still need a supporting cast and some veterans. Byron ticks all the boxes. If you think Byron is overpaid check the comparable. He is value at 3.4 mill aav

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PMAC said:

Definitely not a Bergevin supporter, but I find it hard to criticize this deal. Byron is reliable, relatively low cost secondary scoring who can occasionally play up in the line-up and kills penalties. Even if we are “re-setting” we still need a supporting cast and some veterans. Byron ticks all the boxes. If you think Byron is overpaid check the comparable. He is value at 3.4 mill aav

It's not the salary, it's the term, that adds a question mark to this deal, IMHO. This isn't to say it's some sort of big mistake, but I'm not clicking my heels about it the way many fans are. As I say, though, good for Byron, a genuinely likeable player.

It's funny, though - I used to see Desharnais in the same way I see Byron, i.e., as a guy who had absolutely nothing handed to him, had to overcome biases relating to size, and who earned every single thing he got despite long odds. For this reason I always respected, and pulled for, him, just as I do with Byron. And like DD, Byron will likely end up with a relatively short career in terms of peak NHL productivity. Yet while fans seem to adore Breakaway Byron, the same affection was never extended to DD. What's up with that.

I'm with CC

The term is the issue for a player who relies on speed as much as Byron does.  I have no idea what he will look like in 4-5 years (the last two years of this deal). If he loses half a step he's a marginal NHLer.  If he loses a full step, he's out of the league.  His game is so reliant on speed.

I get the concern on term, but we are talking about a guy who worked his ass off in rehab to come back several weeks early from shoulder surgery. To me, that means he is going to stay in shape which lessens the chances of a precipitous decline. Plus, this is not a long-term deal to a player already in decline. I think Byron is a good bet to deliver value for the length of this contract 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I'm with CC

The term is the issue for a player who relies on speed as much as Byron does.  I have no idea what he will look like in 4-5 years (the last two years of this deal). If he loses half a step he's a marginal NHLer.  If he loses a full step, he's out of the league.  His game is so reliant on speed.

I think this deal will make Byron an expansion draft target from the CH

If you look at who may be st the NHL in two or three years from now, Byron would be one of the odd men out from the forward group 

So people have a problem with 3.4 mill for a 20 goal scorer with blazing speed and great on the PK.

But know one has a problem with a 13 goal scorer making 6. 

Really weird

Byron can be traded at anytime, there are no clauses in the contract

Man, do we have to be critical of EVERYTHING, or side-eye all of Bergevin's signings? This isn't Plex at $6M a year. It's Byron, at $3.4M. If it's not dollars, it's term. If it's not term, it's dollars. 

He's a hard working vet. It's not like that's a bad thing to have on the team. He's not at a debilitating salary.

CC and Commandant, I used to enjoy your posts as insightful, thoughtful and interesting reading. But the absolute 100% glaring negativity of EVERYTHING Habs has worn thin.

• Upvote 3