Byron Re-signed - 4 yr, 13.6

revvvrob

3 hours ago, huzer said:

Man, do we have to be critical of EVERYTHING, or side-eye all of Bergevin's signings? This isn't Plex at $6M a year. It's Byron, at $3.4M. If it's not dollars, it's term. If it's not term, it's dollars. 

He's a hard working vet. It's not like that's a bad thing to have on the team. He's not at a debilitating salary.

CC and Commandant, I used to enjoy your posts as insightful, thoughtful and interesting reading. But the absolute 100% glaring negativity of EVERYTHING Habs has worn thin.

I am honest in my assessments. I'm not a cheerleader

If you no longer find things insightful because I'm critical, that's on you... not me. 

As for being critical of EVERYTHING, that is not true at all.  I loved the draft. I loved the Pacioretty trade.  I loved the move to use cap space to get Armia and Draft picks and buy out Mason.  I like Matthew Peca. I liked not forcing an O'Reilly trade or overspending on Stastny.  There is a lot I've liked in the off-season.   So sorry, it is not 100% glaring negativity of EVERYTHING Habs coming from me.  

I'm critical on what I don't like.  I've had praise for what I do like too. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

I am honest in my assessments. I'm not a cheerleader

Gotta agree, wouldnt equate you with a couple of others who tend to be over the top cynical about anything or everything Habs-related, wouldnt be fair as you are objective about most things Hab and NHL prospects for sure.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Chris said:

So people have a problem with 3.4 mill for a 20 goal scorer with blazing speed and great on the PK.

But know one has a problem with a 13 goal scorer making 6. 

Really weird

Byron can be traded at anytime, there are no clauses in the contract

Actually its really not that weird, no one seems to have an issue with the cap hit, its pretty modest, its the term, for a speed reliant player that scares people a bit. Also, no one has a problem with Drouin's contract because, for one, he was given the contract coming off a 50+ point season in Tampa. Secondly, everyone knows Drouin isn't really a 13 goal scorer, he had a down year production wise because he was thrust into a precarious position and did the best he could with it. His true self, playing in a favorable position, is an easy 20 goal guy, with a ceiling no one even knows yet, he will show us where it is in time.

Ultimately I think using Drouin as an example is just poor judgement, everyone who knows anything about this situation, knows he was thrust into an impossible situation and performed admirably, but inadequately in the grand scheme of things. Most of us also know he is on the verge of a breakout, and has the potential to be a Bargain contract for 50% of his term.

3 hours ago, huzer said:

Man, do we have to be critical of EVERYTHING, or side-eye all of Bergevin's signings? This isn't Plex at $6M a year. It's Byron, at $3.4M. If it's not dollars, it's term. If it's not term, it's dollars. 

He's a hard working vet. It's not like that's a bad thing to have on the team. He's not at a debilitating salary.

CC and Commandant, I used to enjoy your posts as insightful, thoughtful and interesting reading. But the absolute 100% glaring negativity of EVERYTHING Habs has worn thin.

Oh...I've seen GLARING NEGATIVITY on this forum many times before, the frustrating kind that just eats away at you like what you are expressing. This thread however is far from an example of that, I get where you are coming from, I really do, but I see a lot of concerns being expressed, and very few pitch forks, a big difference imo.

19 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

My post on this was not in fact "negative." It just raised a concern about term, while also expressing my fondness for Byron.

People are desperate for the Habs to have a 100% win again. The team has had a shadow of doubt for the past couple years. They just want something everyone can agree with was good for this team*. People are exhausted from the punching. Which I get, but we're not responsible for the decisions. I've said it before and I'll say it again, boy would I love to be 100% wrong and have to eat crow every night for dinner. Aside from thinking Nathan Beaulieu would thrive in Buffalo I don't think I've had to eat it very much. Most of my doubts have been confirmed.

*Even though I would say the hirings of Bouchard and Ducharme were universally praised by the fanbase, and the trade with the Jets that got Armia was a complete steal.