Sept. 26, Maple Leafs vs Habs, 7:30 PM

dlbalr

In a battle of teams that are actually dressing NHL-calibre lineups this time, the Habs will look to make it two in a row as they take on Toronto.

Toronto.jpg

Moore - Tavares - Marner
Marleau - Matthews - Ennis
Leivo - Kadri - Brown
Johnsson - Lindholm - Kapanen

Rielly - Hainsey
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Rosen - Ozhiganov

Andersen

Pickard

Montreal.jpg

Drouin - Kotkaniemi - Lehkonen
Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Agostino - Plekanec - Byron
Chaput - de La Rose - Scherbak

Reilly - Petry

Mete - Juulsen
Benn - Schlemko

Price

Lindgren

Puck drop is at 7:30 PM EST on RDS, TSN2, and TSN4.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, DON said:

dlbalr, why hasnt Despres been cut already? Got any likely explanation? Other than being French i cant think of any.

Maybe they fear that if they cut him too early, he may decide to not sign with Laval (as he said he would in the past)?  If they intend to keep Ouellet up, they could use Despres down there.

39 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Maybe they fear that if they cut him too early, he may decide to not sign with Laval (as he said he would in the past)?  If they intend to keep Ouellet up, they could use Despres down there.

Could it be that he may be a good candidate to sit out  as the 7th D? 

I am stillhoping htey start Mete - Juulsen in Laval since they are waiver exempt. To keep two extra forwards and the "more experienced" D 

45 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I am stillhoping htey start Mete - Juulsen in Laval since they are waiver exempt. To keep two extra forwards and the "more experienced" D 

Is that a joke about sending Mete and Juulsen down? 

16 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

No, if we are going to loose for Hugues and our two best D prospects (and NHL ready) are waiver excempt: I would send them down at least until Weber is back and I would go with the others for two months ( 25-30 games)

Same reason I would not keep Kotka in the NHL this season 

It's a reset/rebuild year!

1 hour ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

I don't think I want him in Laval.

Depending on the timing of the Euro Assignment Clauses for Sklenicka/Moravcik, they're probably going to need some extra depth.  I'm okay with him getting a look down there to see if he can rediscover how to play defence again and if not, then they can cut bait.

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I suppose it could but I can't see them wanting to burn one of their 50 contracts on him as things stand.

40 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

From a development standpoint, it's not the worst idea.  Mete/Juulsen had some semblance of an offensive game in junior but those were non-existent last year.  Is it easier to develop their all-around games with big minutes in the minors or lesser minutes (and limited to no PP time) in the NHL?  From the development perspective, giving them 20 games to start in Laval would probably be beneficial.  I don't think it'll happen but there is some logic to the idea.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Depending on the timing of the Euro Assignment Clauses for Sklenicka/Moravcik, they're probably going to need some extra depth.  I'm okay with him getting a look down there to see if he can rediscover how to play defence again and if not, then they can cut bait.

I suppose it could but I can't see them wanting to burn one of their 50 contracts on him as things stand.

From a development standpoint, it's not the worst idea.  Mete/Juulsen had some semblance of an offensive game in junior but those were non-existent last year.  Is it easier to develop their all-around games with big minutes in the minors or lesser minutes (and limited to no PP time) in the NHL?  From the development perspective, giving them 20 games to start in Laval would probably be beneficial.  I don't think it'll happen but there is some logic to the idea.

If Mete or Juulsen look absolutely terrible 10-15 games in, then send them down.   

How does it make any sense at this point to start these guys in Laval 

1 hour ago, Habopotamus said:

If Mete or Juulsen look absolutely terrible 10-15 games in, then send them down.   

If they want to keep as many veterans up as possible while waiting for an injury to strike to facilitate a trade (Benn), if they want to maximize their playing time, if they want Bouchard and his coaching staff to have a chance to work with them for a bit, if they want them to work on a particular element of their game without being in quite as pressurized of an environment.  Any of those would qualify as potential reasons to send them down.

Not a bad first period overall.  If this is a make or break game for Benn though, he's not helping his cause.

1 hour ago, Habopotamus said:

Is likely more a negative thing to be demoted like that, then to be sent down at start of year and given prime PP/PK and be the #1 pairing playing 25-30minutes/game.

Than playing limited minutes, facing #1 lines on the road and being made to look like pylons from time to time, being way over-matched.

Also the team is re...something, so would be a losing environment as well.

23 minutes ago, DON said:

Is likely more a negative thing to be demoted like that, then to be sent down at start of year and given prime PP/PK and be the #1 pairing playing 25-30minutes/game.

Than playing limited minutes, facing #1 lines on the road and being made to look like pylons from time to time, being way over-matched.

Also the team is re...something, so would be a losing environment as well.

Mete played an entire season in the nhl last year. He has looked even more dangerous this pre season and will be in a battle for a top 4 spot. 

Juulsen ended the season in Montreal and was one of the bright spots on the blue line. Averaging like 20min a night. He has also looked solid in pre season. 

Both managed to be plus players on a terrible team too 

It's crazy to think these guys are going to start the season in laval

32 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

Great play 

I'm not saying do it, but Kotkaniemi looks like an nhler. An 82 game grind is a different story, but right now, he looks solid

Skill-wise, he looks like he can handle it.  I'm worried about the grind though - he's lean and goes down a lot when someone bumps him.  That will wear on him over a long season.

Mete - Juulsen is likely our #2 pairing to start the year. 

I really like Rielly in Pre-season, he probably starts with Petry. 

Kotkaniemi looks ready... but I want him to go to Finland.  I worry about the frame. He needs more muscle.  He's awfully tempting though.  He's really going to be a good one. The play on gallagher's goal was so smart.  They way he faked Matthews out of position to open up the pass to Mete was something seasoned pros do.  He's really good. 

• Upvote 1

Oh Well. It was a nice effort by the boys. Had they not have those two brain farts in the beginning of the 3rd, they might have won this game!