Sept. 26, Maple Leafs vs Habs, 7:30 PM

dlbalr

1 hour ago, Habopotamus said:

Huge difference

Petry was shit. Price was not happy either 

Petry and Price will be fine in the season, i'm not worried about them

Seeing a guy like Reilly win a top 4 spot is bigger for the team at this point

I don’t know... the kid looks more then just nhl capable right now... 

and I stress right now!

-jeff o’neil On tsn said quote “he looks like an nhl star”

ray Ferraro said there’s no way he’s not starting the year in Montreal!

-basically all tsn pundits were lauding over him after these 2 games.

hes making plays on every single shift... literally every shift

his stick work is exceptional...

16 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

I was at the game last night and if I had to rate Petry's performance on a scale of 1 to 10, I'd go with "trade him ASAP".

To Columbus for example, for their 1st and 2nd draft picks

Watching Reilly play steady top-4 hockey has been great. I have been rooting for him for a while.

Watching Kotkaniemi has also been great, makes me wish he could stay but then I remember that the team sucks and that he will be preyed upon by other teams (with all the smurfs in our line up).

Watching Mete-Juulsen play like a legit 2nd-pair has also been fun and it makes me forget how bad last year was.

The fan in me wants all these kids to be front and center on the 2018-2019 roster. I do not understand how rebuilding a Hockey team works, first time I see an attempt by the CH. What's better: suck with the kids? or send them to develop in a winning environment and suck with the older less-skilled team?

I don't know what's best for the team! :unsure:  

36 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

For Petry??? Marijuana isn’t legal for another few weeks!

1 hour ago, JoeLassister said:

I was at the game last night and if I had to rate Petry's performance on a scale of 1 to 10, I'd go with "trade him ASAP".

Was just a meaningless pre-season game for regulars Joe and really was just 2 bad turnovers and his standard getting beat bad one on one at least once/game.

Mete was super in opposing zone, but he and juulsen were no match for leafs #1 PP unit...not that most defenders would be.

21:57 for Mete to lead team in icetime.

entertaining game anyways.

2 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Technically he's ready.

But there is zero point to play him as an 18 year old. 

Give him his tryout games, send him back to Finland, he can come in next season a little heavier with a shot at the Calder.

100% agree.

12 minutes ago, DON said:

Was just a meaningless pre-season game for regulars Joe and really was just 2 bad turnovers and his standard getting beat bad one on one at least once/game.

Mete was super in opposing zone, but he and juulsen were no match for leafs #1 PP unit...not that most defenders would be.

21:57 for Mete to lead team in icetime.

entertaining game anyways.

My point exactly. :D

7 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

My point exactly. :D

From Tortterella's favourite reporter, I also wish season was underway and this glorified practice season was done.

1 hour ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

He can get heavier in Laval where the rink is NHL sized and the quality of play is higher... the kid deserves to start in the NHL... it will be on him to stay...

Can he bulk up while in Laval?  I don't think so.  Part of the allure of sending him back to Finland is that they play fewer games, allowing for more time in the gym.  The AHL has a pretty compressed schedule with a lot of 3-in-3's and 3-in-4's which often results in limited practice weeks as they have to give a couple of days off following those stretches.  There are things he could benefit from when it comes to being down there but the ability to build up his frame probably isn't one of them.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Columbus, a team with one of the deepest defence cores in the NHL?  Why would they want him.

Seth Jones is out 4-6 weeks... not months. 

1 hour ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

He can get heavier in Laval where the rink is NHL sized and the quality of play is higher... the kid deserves to start in the NHL... it will be on him to stay...

If they are sending him down he has a European assignment clause. 

To me Laval isn't an option. 

You either keep him with the big club, or you send him to Finland. 

I don't want him in Montreal, facing the pressure of the city, without being on the big club.  I don't want the constant calls to call him up every time he has a two-point game, or the habs lose two in a row.  If the plan is to develop him, send him somewhere to develop. 

I also don't think that "quality of play" is that big a consideration.   The Finnish Liiga is a strong league too. 

He will play less games in Finland though, meaning more time to bulk up. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Commandant said:

If they are sending him down he has a European assignment clause. 

To me Laval isn't an option. 

You either keep him with the big club, or you send him to Finland. 

I don't want him in Montreal, facing the pressure of the city, without being on the big club.  I don't want the constant calls to call him up every time he has a two-point game, or the habs lose two in a row.  If the plan is to develop him, send him somewhere to develop. 

I also don't think that "quality of play" is that big a consideration.   The Finnish Liiga is a strong league too. 

Like I say in the Training Camp thread, we should ask whether a team with legitimate top-6 C would even consider keeping him in the NHL. If the answer is 'no,' then that suggests the Habs' badness is affecting their decisions about player development; which is the wrong approach to player development.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Like I say in the Training Camp thread, we should ask whether a team with legitimate top-6 C would even consider keeping him in the NHL. If the answer is 'no,' then that suggests the Habs' badness is affecting their decisions about player development; which is the wrong approach to player development.

The St. Louis Blues are likely going to keep Robert Thomas. He is one year older than Kotkaniemi. They have a legit top 3 Cs in Schenn, O'Reilly and Bozak.  Kotkaniemi has done more in pre-season than Thomas. 

By that measure, yes, you can justify keeping him. 

He's done nothing in camp other than play well enough for a spot on this team. 

Its a hard choice but I'd send him to Finland.

1) He can bulk up.

2) He can still get NHL games at the end of the Finnish season.

3) His dad is the coach in Finland and will give him first line C minutes.  This isn't the typical Euro coach who sees a young kid and isn't invested in him long-term, and is only about the here and now and winning now and development of an 18 year old be damned.  This is a coach who will truly care about Jesperi's development. 

4) The Habs aren't winning... don't waste a year of his ELC, a year towards free agency, and a year towards him needing to be protected in expansion, on this season. 

He can come in next year with Suzuki and Poehling, and perhaps our 2019 pick and they can really grow all together. 

• Upvote 4

22 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Columbus, a team with one of the deepest defence cores in the NHL?  Why would they want him.

Seth Jones is out 4-6 weeks... not months. 

The team that'll probably offer the most and need Petry is Toronto. And unlike Ottawa, I'm perfectly fine with in division trading. I'll even hold a chunk of cap back if Toronto makes the right offer. They got quite a few high draft right handed defencemen and forwards like Grundstrom and Korshkov who might struggle to crack their top nine just due to a logjam of forwards. Give up some quality, I'll be fine moving Petry to the Leafs.

4 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Technically he's ready.

But there is zero point to play him as an 18 year old. 

Give him his tryout games, send him back to Finland, he can come in next season a little heavier with a shot at the Calder.

I also agree with this totally. If this was a season of making the playoffs and taking a little run, absolutely he’s staying. Let’s not lose focus on our rebuild with hopefully a top 5 pick in the upcoming draft. Next season team will be younger, faster and top end  prospect a year older. A better outcome on climbing the standings and hopefully one day soon, bringing old Stanly back home....

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

1) He can bulk up.

3) His dad is the coach in Finland and will give him first line C minutes.  This isn't the typical Euro coach who sees a young kid and isn't invested in him long-term, and is only about the here and now and winning now and development of an 18 year old be damned.  This is a coach who will truly care about Jesperi's development. 

4) The Habs aren't winning... don't waste a year of his ELC, a year towards free agency, and a year towards him needing to be protected in expansion, on this season. 

He can come in next year with Suzuki and Poehling, and perhaps our 2019 pick and they can really grow all together. 

You hit every point I was going to make in favor of sending Kotkaniemi back to Finland, saving me a lot of typing.

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

The St. Louis Blues are likely going to keep Robert Thomas. He is one year older than Kotkaniemi. They have a legit top 3 Cs in Schenn, O'Reilly and Bozak.  Kotkaniemi has done more in pre-season than Thomas. 

By that measure, yes, you can justify keeping him. 

He's done nothing in camp other than play well enough for a spot on this team. 

Its a hard choice but I'd send him to Finland.

1) He can bulk up.

Well said....

thats what I meant to say! lol 

2 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

The team that'll probably offer the most and need Petry is Toronto. And unlike Ottawa, I'm perfectly fine with in division trading. I'll even hold a chunk of cap back if Toronto makes the right offer. They got quite a few high draft right handed defencemen and forwards like Grundstrom and Korshkov who might struggle to crack their top nine just due to a logjam of forwards. Give up some quality, I'll be fine moving Petry to the Leafs.

I agree, I would trade him to any team, including Toronto, Boston, or anyone else.

If the package is right.

My target would be a high end LHD prospect.  I don't see one on Toronto, I mean i doubt they give up Dermott.

16 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I agree, I would trade him to any team, including Toronto, Boston, or anyone else.

If the package is right.

My target would be a high end LHD prospect.  I don't see one on Toronto, I mean i doubt they give up Dermott.

I was off on CBJ, but I would trade Petry for draft picks or prospects that would not need to be protected in the expansion draft . That way we can protect Mete, Juulse an Weber. We would need to replace a guy like Reilly