Trade (with Calgary)

Commandant

Kulak is also a better option for a call-up.  This hurts Laval in that Taormina is one of the top offensive d-men in the league but it's a nice little depth addition for the Habs.  I don't think Taormina has gone through waivers yet though as he's been hurt all camp long.

I also wonder if this means an NHL two-way deal will now be on the table for Despres.  They move Taormina to free up the contract (and AHL veteran slot) and then use Despres to fill it.   I hope that's not the case - just give him the AHL deal and be done but that's probably more of an option now than it was a few hours ago.

33 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Kulak is also a better option for a call-up.  This hurts Laval in that Taormina is one of the top offensive d-men in the league but it's a nice little depth addition for the Habs.  I don't think Taormina has gone through waivers yet though as he's been hurt all camp long.

I also wonder if this means an NHL two-way deal will now be on the table for Despres.  They move Taormina to free up the contract (and AHL veteran slot) and then use Despres to fill it.   I hope that's not the case - just give him the AHL deal and be done but that's probably more of an option now than it was a few hours ago.

or is there someone on waivers they want to claim?

or another trade they want to make?

Also the contract slot could also go to Cale Fleury. 

25 minutes ago, Commandant said:

or is there someone on waivers they want to claim?

or another trade they want to make?

Also the contract slot could also go to Cale Fleury. 

I can't see them claiming someone considering they're about to be one over the roster limit in the very near future with Shaw declaring himself ready.  (Even if they push it a couple of days, it's on the horizon.)

Also, it appears Kulak has been a target for a while:

Habs are spending a lot more money on their AHL team than they've historically liked doing. Is this a change in management policy, or is a guy like Froese and his one-way contract out the door soon?

13 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Habs are spending a lot more money on their AHL team than they've historically liked doing. Is this a change in management policy, or is a guy like Froese and his one-way contract out the door soon?

I wouldn't necessarily say either is true.  They had one-way guys for notable stints last year (Deslauriers and Carr for the first little bit last year, Cracknell when he was acquired for Holland) and Froese wasn't the only contract they gave out last summer that converted to a one-way for this season (Holland's was structured that way as well).  They sort of committed to the extra spending based on their movement last year.

Edit: Chris Terry was also on a one-way deal last year.

Considering how much Froese played last season, I think they'll want to keep him around as insurance and I wouldn't be surprised if they view Kulak as someone that's going to wind up spending about as much time in the NHL on recall than he will in the minors.  If they go and add another player or two on a one-way contract, then I'd call it a shift in philosophy but I don't think they're at that spot yet.

10 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I wouldn't necessarily say either is true.  They had one-way guys for notable stints last year (Deslauriers and Carr for the first little bit last year, Cracknell when he was acquired for Holland) and Froese wasn't the only contract they gave out last summer that converted to a one-way for this season (Holland's was structured that way as well).  They sort of committed to the extra spending based on their movement last year.

Considering how much Froese played last season, I think they'll want to keep him around as insurance and I wouldn't be surprised if they view Kulak as someone that's going to wind up spending about as much time in the NHL on recall than he will in the minors.  If they go and add another player or two on a one-way contract, then I'd call it a shift in philosophy but I don't think they're at that spot yet.

Would adding Despres count ? He hasn't accepted the offer yet, but that may be an indication.

They also seem to have more NHL depth players than before

3 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Would adding Despres count ? He hasn't accepted the offer yet, but that may be an indication.

They also seem to have more NHL depth players than before

They're not going to give Despres a one-way NHL deal though.  They've offered him a minor league contract and while I imagine he'd get a six-figure salary, I highly doubt they'd give him NHL money on that contract.