Oct. 3, Habs vs Leafs, 7 PM

dlbalr

9 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

Weber added to this lineup could add a certain element we’re missing. Just that presence back there. PP would instantly change too. Could be huge

PP was way better without him last season.

When he was there, there was only one option... feed him for the point shot.

Without him they had multiple options and it worked better.  They need to remember that even when he comes back. 

9 minutes ago, Commandant said:

PP was way better without him last season.

When he was there, there was only one option... feed him for the point shot.

Without him they had multiple options and it worked better.  They need to remember that even when he comes back. 

Agreed...they need to realize that sometimes he's best used as a decoy, to get other guys the space to shoot from prime areas.

18 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

Weber added to this lineup could add a certain element we’re missing. Just that presence back there. PP would instantly change too. Could be huge

I agree but commandant has a good point about not being too reliant on him though.

His presence defensively will definitely be welcomed and I think Reilly will look great next to him.

Also in regards to Drouin, he had a tough game and a shitty change but it was Lehkonen who let Matthews skate right by him even after his partner pointed to him. Drouin is too skilled not to get it together it just wasn’t his night.

Domi and Price were the best tonight.

I am not sure what I just watched tonight, but this team looked interesting, feisty, quick as hell, and not at all what I was expecting. They were literally out there like...

tenor.gif?itemid=5266504

And I am not sure anyone was truly ready for how they were going to bring it.

• Upvote 1

Well that was way better than I expected.  We looked speedy and deep.  Still not sure if we should keep Kotka around this year, but that was a promising debut.  Someone compared him to Lecavalier, which I can see in his stride and frame.  

8 minutes ago, Neech said:

Well that was way better than I expected.  We looked speedy and deep.  Still not sure if we should keep Kotka around this year, but that was a promising debut.  Someone compared him to Lecavalier, which I can see in his stride and frame.  

So how many games can he play if they do intend to send him back to Finland for the season?

37 minutes ago, Commandant said:

If they play like that all year, they are a playoff team.

How many tap-ins did the Leafs miss 6, 7? A loser point to start season vs a team with no defense.

But was entertaining game anyways.

23 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

So how many games can he play if they do intend to send him back to Finland for the season?

9 I believe.

Our defence sure looked speedier and more skilled without Alzner.  

13 minutes ago, DON said:

How many tap-ins did the Leafs miss 6, 7? A loser point to start season vs a team with no defense.

But was entertaining game anyways.

It's a good point. The defense is brutal,  but the 4 lines of forwards reminds me of vegas. There isn't one forward without 15+ goal potential.  Several with 20+ potential.  If kotkaniemi can play,  they have potential to be better up front than we may be projecting.

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

Sounds like a coaching problem, and we have new coaches 

Never understood why CJ was never aloud to bring in his own coaching staff when he was hired.

Glad to see I wasn't the only one frustrated with Drouin. Coming off a lousy year last season, he cannot continue like that. We gave up a huge ransom for this guy and he has yet to impress. :angry:

The Leafs showed last night what sheer talent does: you can get outplayed for large stretches and still win, because of one or two unstoppable plays. The Matthews goal was  Lafleur-like in the specific sense that it made the goalie irrelevant - no one has a chance to save that. And very few players actually pull off what Tavares did on the second goal: he looked like Kovalev at his best.

I always liked the "roll four lines" model. Based on one game, it looks like we can finally do that again. We haven't seen the team play that kind of deep, short-pass, support-the-puck-carrier hockey since about 2015. It looks to be a team that actually has an identity: fast, spunky, competitive, and relentless. The negative is that its lack of elite talent means that it will need a lot of chances to get the goals. The Matthews and Tavares of the world need only one chance to score.

Not having watched preseason, I was a bit leery of the Kotkaniemi excitement, but boy, do I get it after watching that game. The last rookie to step in and play with that kind of presence was a fella named PK Subban. While he's not fully-realized yet, he seems smart and unflappable, with impressive vision. The Bobby Smith parallel applies to more than his number. Hopefully he can keep it up!

The good, then: Price in Beast Mode, most of the FW unit but especially Special K, Lehkonen, Matthew Peca, Domi's second half (after a dodgy first half IMHO). And was it just me, or did Victor Mete seem a quite capable top-4 d-man last night - ? He struck me as much more fully-rounded and mature than last year. I'm thinking he's a guy who might make a major statement this season.

The bad: Drouin, Petry's overuse (not his fault, but frustrating). I didn't think the defence corps looked that bad, all things considered. Juulsen and Reilly seemed OK to me. Weber will help to a truly gigantic degree. You find yourself thinking: if the team looks that competitive without Weber, what happens when he gets back - ?!?

• Upvote 1

Peca looked fine, except when deaked out by Tavares on his goal, but it is Tavares so he is not the only one who he will make look bad.

Oulette had couple weak plays, bur Reilly, Juulsen and Mete all did fine. But, zero pts from defense.

Nice to see Domi with 2a and Kotkaniemi didnt look out of place and on pace for a 82pt season.:D

Go youth go!

(funny that Armia led the forwards in icetime?)

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

RDS panel laid into Drouin last night.

Really, that is odd for that crew to overreact like that, when they always seem to be very objective and level headed.

18 minutes ago, DON said:

Really, that is odd for that crew to overreact like that, when they always seem to be very objective and level headed.

He forgot this is the nhl and not junior hockey. Constantly trying to dangle 3 guys... his turn over in the offensive zone lead to the mathews goal in OT 

17 minutes ago, DON said:

Tremblay on RDS and Dube on radio ( game time commentator) have been saying since the end of last season that Drouin has to show more and play better

That he has been excused too easily by the media; and I thin one of the La Presse journalist also wrote a similar opinion

I think Drouin deserves some  criticism 

21 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

He forgot this is the nhl and not junior hockey. Constantly trying to dangle 3 guys... his turn over in the offensive zone lead to the mathews goal in OT 

He was doing just that in Tampa Bay and MB traded for him anyway. 
Same with drafting Galchenyuk.
Don't know what they expect.

He hires coaches that despise fancy plays and East-West hockey  and then trade for and draft exactly this type of players.