Habs acquire Gustav Olofsson

dlbalr

4 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Bitten's a high floor, low ceiling player.  He wasn't a big scorer in junior which drops his upside to an energy player.  I like him as a prospect but if you're going to move a prospect for short-term depth, dealing someone that has depth/role player upside is probably the right pool to draw from.

He looked good as a scorer in his draft year but there was virtually no improvement in numbers his last two years, not a good sign

3 hours ago, Neech said:

It seems like we sent the higher ceiling guy packing, and that we acquired the bigger player who would fit better in the late 90's version of the NHL that Bergy has never abandoned.

Defensive defensemen still have value, you just have to redefine what you think of as a defensive defenceman

Mike Komisarek types, big, can't skate well, hit a lot and block shots... they don't work. 

The new style is the vlassic type, guys who can skate, are strong in puck battles and clearing the front of the net, good sticks, good angles and positioning and make a good first pass.  Think the Vlassic type as the #1 example of this type of player.  The Habs have one in the system in Noah Juulsen.  Olofsson and Kulak might mirror this type as well.  So does Romanov.  They still have a spot in the NHL

I also question how high Bitten's ceiling is. He wasn't close to my top 10 Habs prospects... Heck he probably doesn't crack my top 15 if I went that far. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I also question how high Bitten's ceiling is. He wasn't close to my top 10 Habs prospects... Heck he probably doesn't crack my top 15 if I went that far. 

We're running the voting for the HW rankings starting tomorrow but I didn't expect him to get top-10 consideration from our writers.  I figured he'd be in the late teen/early 20 range by the time I sat down and did the full listing.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Not happy with this. Really liked Bitten. Thought he could have been our next Byron. Olofsson... I know he has shoulder issues. Maybe someone knows better.

I guess MB is working on getting rid of all the talent Timmins drafts. Who needs skilled defence when you can get pilons...then say the team needs to be better in front of Price.  I find it funny  that a guy who played defence has no clue how to evaluate defence talent. 

I'm no prospect expert, but what I see here is a team with a ton of middle-tier FWs and hardly any defensive depth trading a bottom-6 FW prospect for defensive help. Prima facie, that makes quite a bit of sense.

Given Ben's scouting report of Olofsson, I kind of wonder what's in store for Alzner. Alzner was benched to start the season, and Olofsson basically sounds like an Alzner who can skate. And therefore he fits much better with the team identity we saw on display last night. If I'm Alzner, I'm starting to hear the footsteps of the Grim Reaper behind me.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Richard09 said:

I guess MB is working on getting rid of all the talent Timmins drafts. Who needs skilled defence when you can get pilons...then say the team needs to be better in front of Price.  I find it funny  that a guy who played defence has no clue how to evaluate defence talent. 

How many times have you watched olofsson to call him a pylon?

How many times have you seen bitten to call him "talent"?

At this point Bitten looks like Aaron Palushaj

11 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Given Ben's scouting report of Olofsson, I kind of wonder what's in store for Alzner. Alzner was benched to start the season, and Olofsson basically sounds like an Alzner who can skate. And therefore he fits much better with the team identity we saw on display last night. If I'm Alzner, I'm starting to hear the footsteps of the Grim Reaper behind me.

We really need to find a rocketship to Mars for Alzner.  

30 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

No good. Bergevin would trade it for a Edsel.

Best case scenario: he gets a free buyout from the next lockout

Average case scenario: he does one of those swaps where he gets a player that costs more per year but has a shorter contract, like for example Andy Greene.

Worst case scenario: He trades him for Brent Seabrook

On 10/4/2018 at 11:56 PM, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

No good. Bergevin would trade it for a Edsel.

A Bergevin joke, nice! And the punchline is that he sucks at making trades, so he would trade something more valuable for something less valuable. This is where I lol

1 hour ago, illWill said:

A Bergevin joke, nice! And the punchline is that he sucks at making trades, so he would trade something more valuable for something less valuable. This is where I lol

This is not where I lol

• Upvote 2