2018-19 NHL General Discussion Thread

dlbalr

• dlbalr pinned this topic
5 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

I didn't realize how weak their wing and defensive depth was. It's so bad.

It's true.  2 years ago,  leafs were mediocre. Anderson was garbage.  Last year leafs were quite good. Anderson was vezina caliber. The  Season hinges more on his play than anything.  Imo

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

It's true.  2 years ago,  leafs were mediocre. Anderson was garbage.  Last year leafs were quite good. Anderson was vezina caliber. The  Season hinges more on his play than anything.  Imo

Like I would say they probably have the best centre depth in the league. And Andersen is a good goalie. But when you look at their wingers it's bad. I know Nylander is out due to contract talks but without him their only legit wingers are Marleau and Brown. That's rough. Like, Tyler Ennis with Matthews should never ever happen.

1 hour ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

I didn't realize how weak their wing and defensive depth was. It's so bad.

LIke CuJO and Belfore, the Leaf goalie last year saw more rubber than any other NHL goalie.

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

20 games for Tom Wilson.  Something tells me the NHLPA will be appealing this one.

Even as a repeat offender, 20 seems a little heavy handed.  Appeal for sure.

3 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Like I would say they probably have the best centre depth in the league. And Andersen is a good goalie. But when you look at their wingers it's bad. I know Nylander is out due to contract talks but without him their only legit wingers are Marleau and Brown. That's rough. Like, Tyler Ennis with Matthews should never ever happen.

You forgot their best winger

Marner

17 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

True. So with Nylander it's a very strong top six and dog crap under it. 

With Nylander their third line is 

xxxx - Kadri - Brown

That third spot filled with one of Johnsson, Kapanen, Leivo, Ennis as Babcock juggles the lines

Not sure that is really weak as far as third lines go

Its their RHD (Hainsey, Zaitsev, Ozhiganov) that is dogshit especially if Hainsey shows signs of age

12 hours ago, Commandant said:

With Nylander their third line is 

xxxx - Kadri - Brown

That third spot filled with one of Johnsson, Kapanen, Leivo, Ennis as Babcock juggles the lines

Not sure that is really weak as far as third lines go

Its their RHD (Hainsey, Zaitsev, Ozhiganov) that is dogshit especially if Hainsey shows signs of age

Which the former Hab did last night.

I appreciate people trying to poke holes in the Leafs' lineup, and it's true that RD looks sketchy. But the fact remains they are absolutely top-5 in the NHL, talent-wise. It's not going to be easy for them (and I think that's what the media is getting wrong: these aren't the 1977 Montreal Canadiens FFS, this is a league of parity) but rational analysis puts them easily among the Cup favourites. F**k.

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Which the former Hab did last night.

I appreciate people trying to poke holes in the Leafs' lineup, and it's true that RD looks sketchy. But the fact remains they are absolutely top-5 in the NHL, talent-wise. It's not going to be easy for them (and I think that's what the media is getting wrong: these aren't the 1977 Montreal Canadiens FFS, this is a league of parity) but rational analysis puts them easily among the Cup favourites. F**k.

Their defense looked like absolute shit against these worst team in the NHL last night. 

11 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Speaking of dumb decisions, did anyone notice that the Vancouver Canucks have banned Fortnite on the road? Way to make the tough choices.

Embarrassing. They need mommy to tuck them in and take away the xbox? Glad I'm old. No chance I could mentor these feedback needing pampered narcissists. Only feedback I got was the warm glow of heat on my face after my mom backhanded me for back talkin. 

9 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

Embarrassing. They need mommy to tuck them in and take away the xbox? Glad I'm old. No chance I could mentor these feedback needing pampered narcissists. Only feedback I got was the warm glow of heat on my face after my mom backhanded me for back talkin. 

I tend to see it differently - not so much about pampered millennials as arsehole Gen-X and Baby Boomer team bosses being alarmist about Kids Today. :rolleyes: "WE didn't play Fortnite! So it's bad!!"

My question to the Canucks is, if instead of playing Fortnite, a bunch of players were quietly reading or watching TV in their hotel rooms, would they then ban reading or TV viewing on the road? What the hell is the difference?

51 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I tend to see it differently - not so much about pampered millennials as arsehole Gen-X and Baby Boomer team bosses being alarmist about Kids Today. :rolleyes: "WE didn't play Fortnite! So it's bad!!"

My question to the Canucks is, if instead of playing Fortnite, a bunch of players were quietly reading or watching TV in their hotel rooms, would they then ban reading or TV viewing on the road? What the hell is the difference?

If they read until 4:00 a:m yes. Hey I'm all for you guys being understanding about the generation gap. But I can tell you I can relate way more to my dad's baby boomer ways than my kids ways.  I got no time for it. And refuse to make time either. Not becoming a narcissist to appease popular culture.  

• dlbalr unpinned this topic