2018-19 NHL General Discussion Thread

dlbalr

41 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

If they read until 4:00 a:m yes. Hey I'm all for you guys being understanding about the generation gap. But I can tell you I can relate way more to my dad's baby boomer ways than my kids ways.  I got no time for it. And refuse to make time either. Not becoming a narcissist to appease popular culture.  

This has little to do with hockey, but I have a lot of time for millennials, a generation that has been thoroughly screwed over by the unrelenting selfishness of its predecessors - especially the Boomers, i.e., the most privileged and entitled generation in human history, whose selfishness has ensured that no other generations get to enjoy the institutions and structures that allowed it to live such a cushy life. https://www.gensqueeze.ca/the_squeeze

And it seems to me that doing ANYTHING until 4 AM the day/night before a game is what should be banned, not a video game. It is a bit unfortunate in this context that veterans are protected from rooming with young players under the collective agreement. Putting the 20-year-olds with the veterans would solve this entire nest of problems...if they are actually problems, rather than make-believe hysteria by constipated old-school types, for whom binge-drinking is just great but playing a video game is the Devil's own work.

Its interesting how differently people think.  My first thought was that there must have been some addiction issues with guys staying up and owning noobs.  Your first thought was that old school people were enforcing antiquated logic. 

• Upvote 1

The Habs have the second youngest forward group in the league to start the season (along with the seventh youngest defence and second oldest goalie group).  Meanwhile, Vegas, a second-year team, is the second oldest team in the league.  I don't think anyone saw that coming this time a year ago...

https://www.rosterresource.com/nhl-roster-breakdowns/

35 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

Young, millionaire athlete. That could get any girl he wants. Is up until 4am because of Fortnite... am I missing something here?

You touched on the hypocrisy of it. People are fine if our athletes are out having sex and drinking because it's their business. But play some videogames late and it's wrong and has to be stopped.

It's forgotten now but Sidney Crosby and Marc-Andre Fleury are big gamers, particualrly SoCom, and have been playing it throughout all the Cups and awards Crosby has racked up. Hasn't been a single issue for them. But Fortnite becomes popular and a couple prospects go overboard on late nights playing it and it becomes a story to the point where the Vancouver Canucks are banning videogames. I'm glad Laine slapped them for that.

I'll just end with this. If you're gonna ban videogames? Ban cards. No card playing for anyone, including management. You make that the ultimatum? That game ban dies fast coming from the GM. The old codgers can't survive the road without cards. Which is a GAME.

I'm 45 years old so more in the old school demographic.  But I play a lot of video games.  Sometimes I get out of hand.  I used to play counter strike for hours.  To the point that the guys on my server are basically my friends.  It's easier to lose control with gaming than it is with cards. If guys are out partying till all hours, teams often enforce curfews, or make changes to curb the behavior.  Gaming can be very addictive and should be curbed if its out of hand.  

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

I'm 45 years old so more in the old school demographic.  But I play a lot of video games.  Sometimes I get out of hand.  I used to play counter strike for hours.  To the point that the guys on my server are basically my friends.  It's easier to lose control with gaming than it is with cards. If guys are out partying till all hours, teams often enforce curfews, or make changes to curb the behavior.  Gaming can be very addictive and should be curbed if its out of hand.  

Playing cards leads to gambling. There have been several players and management who have had gambling addictions, including Jagr. There is also alcohol addiction, pain medication addiction, and sex addiction, all of which people say are wrong but little is ever done to curb it. All of the recent player suicides and overdoses where players were hooked on pain medication were pretty much ignored or supported by the medical staff of the NHL clubs. That actually kills people. Videogame addiction is barely a problem compared.

Laine was right in saying this is just making excuses for the Canucks sucking last season. Create a scapegoat and claim you're doing something to fix it. They probably learned that from Marc Bergevin, though he'd never ban videogames with all of those trades he does on his Playstation.

11 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Wasn't it the players and not the management that made the call about videogames?

That's the claim, which even if true, it's stupid. It's a bunch of guys thinking they are being old school. 

• Upvote 3

48 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Playing cards leads to gambling. There have been several players and management who have had gambling addictions, including Jagr. There is also alcohol addiction, pain medication addiction, and sex addiction, all of which people say are wrong but little is ever done to curb it. All of the recent player suicides and overdoses where players were hooked on pain medication were pretty much ignored or supported by the medical staff of the NHL clubs. That actually kills people. Videogame addiction is barely a problem compared.

Laine was right in saying this is just making excuses for the Canucks sucking last season. Create a scapegoat and claim you're doing something to fix it. They probably learned that from Marc Bergevin, though he'd never ban videogames with all of those trades he does on his Playstation.

That's the claim, which even if true, it's stupid. It's a bunch of guys thinking they are being old school. 

Machine is ON FIRE! Habs29 had better watch his step, as this post is a threat to his crown as all-time most acidic poster ;) Well done.

Playing video games or engaging in any activity which would keep you up all night is not ok by me if I'm paying someone millions of dollars to be in prime shape the following morning. If you want segway into medication, suicide and its a whole other issue. 

3 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Or its players seeing a few people staying up all night playing video games and not being ready to play. 

16 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

They already claimed it wasn't a problem in their locker room but they wanted to make a stand. 

Ah. I didn't see that.  Banning them makes no sense at all then. I just assumed people were abusing them. In fact,  I know a lot of people who play games to unwind and distract. If controlled they can be very good as a decompress. Now instead of games until midnight, it will be booze probably. 

I just assumed they had a problem.  D sorry. 

14 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

Ah. I didn't see that.  Banning them makes no sense at all then. I just assumed people were abusing them. In fact,  I know a lot of people who play games to unwind and distract. If controlled they can be very good as a decompress. Now instead of games until midnight, it will be booze probably. 

I just assumed they had a problem.  D sorry. 

The rumour is that Juolevi, a Canucks prospect, was a gaming addict. Banning gaming in the locker is expected to be a message to him and future Canucks players. 

But again, if for some crazy reason the Canucks got Sidney Crosby, is Bo freaking Horvat gonna tell him to stop playing SoCom? All to keep up some chest beating locker rule?

I get your view on this, I honestly do. But if a player is a gaming addict, you get him help. You don't give him a reason to hide his problem from you. If a player is a drunk you don't ban drinking. You get that player help. Treating videogames like some locker room no no will just amplify the problem.

So someone in Ottawa's organization thought it would be a good idea to drop some beach balls from the rafters yesterday.  Considering they dropped the ball on the Karlsson trade, is this their theme for the season?  On the other hand, the balls could have filled some of the empty seats...

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

So someone in Ottawa's organization thought it would be a good idea to drop some beach balls from the rafters yesterday.  Considering they dropped the ball on the Karlsson trade, is this their theme for the season?  On the other hand, the balls could have filled some of the empty seats...

When it rains it pours... beach balls.

42 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Honestly, if Ottawa folds, I wouldn't cry over it...unless they move to Quebec City, of course ???

They got prelim plans for a new arena in LeBreton Flats. That will solve some issues. The real issue is Melnyk. And if he keeps running the worst circus in the league, I expect him to be pushed out. The league likely knows at this point they have an ownership issue and not an Ottawa issue.

Things seem ridiculous with the Sens but they are not 31st for cap hit and not the worst in the league last year for attendance. The longer Melnyk is there the worse things will get, but I think the league would rather contract the Sens and then give them an expansion not owned by Melnyk than move Ottawa to Quebec City. 

• dlbalr unpinned this topic