2018-19 NHL General Discussion Thread

dlbalr

7 hours ago, dlbalr said:

That's what happens when neither side has an NHL-calibre goalie in net with the type of firepower they have.

Indeed, Ward looked exceptionally bad.

Was fun watching Kane and Matthews having a goal battle in the end there.

8 minutes ago, Scott462 said:

Indeed, Ward looked exceptionally bad.

Was fun watching Kane and Matthews having a goal battle in the end there.

But, had $$ on Hawks, so not too funny.:angry:

Just today's lines, with delaRose back.

Seems unlikely Julien will change anything after 2 solid games.

As Scherbak likely wouldnt make through waivers, is currently on 5th line & seems below delaRose in depth chart, in a tough situation.

From the NHL heights and weights article in the athletic.

Habs are 2nd youngest team in the NHL (edmonton)

Habs are shortest team and the lightest team 

Interesting facts... the league in general is getting smaller and younger.

The average nhl player is below 200 lbs for the first time in 20 years.

The average weight is the lowest its been in nearly 40 years.

The average age is down to 27

• Upvote 2

On 10/10/2018 at 5:24 AM, Commandant said:

I hated it when you had to be a behemoth to play hockey. I'm loving the league's general direction - and frankly advanced stats seem to have done more to advance the cause and root out the dinosaurs than anything else.

On 10/10/2018 at 8:24 AM, Commandant said:

Don't get too giddy-- Looks more like a recipe for the ""Hughes Sweeps"

On 10/11/2018 at 10:24 AM, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I hated it when you had to be a behemoth to play hockey. I'm loving the league's general direction - and frankly advanced stats seem to have done more to advance the cause and root out the dinosaurs than anything else.

It's fun to pull out copies of 80s NHL and see teams flying out there with firewagon hockey. And then the fun stops when some team is basically given full permission to try and murder those players with head shots and slashes. 

Friend of mine had a tape, I think from 1992 or 1993, of the Penguins absolutely running circles around teams and the best those teams could do would be to literally grab onto Jagr or Lemieux to stop them. That was all they had. Basically barehug them and hope they can't stickhandle through it. That's why I don't blame Pavel Bure at all for being a cherry picker. Cherry picking meant there wouldn't be some useless defenceman hanging off of him when he took a shot. And you still saw countless times some defenceman swinging Paul Bunyan axe bombs at him when he's ready to shoot at whatever goalie is in net.

This stuff is usually forgotten. Most of analytics was just reminding people of what good hockey looks like when referees actually call what they see and penalize players properly.

18 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

It's fun to pull out copies of 80s NHL and see teams flying out there with firewagon hockey. And then the fun stops when some team is basically given full permission to try and murder those players with head shots and slashes. 

Friend of mine had a tape, I think from 1992 or 1993, of the Penguins absolutely running circles around teams and the best those teams could do would be to literally grab onto Jagr or Lemieux to stop them. That was all they had. Basically barehug them and hope they can't stickhandle through it. That's why I don't blame Pavel Bure at all for being a cherry picker. Cherry picking meant there wouldn't be some useless defenceman hanging off of him when he took a shot. And you still saw countless times some defenceman swinging Paul Bunyan axe bombs at him when he's ready to shoot at whatever goalie is in net.

This stuff is usually forgotten. Most of analytics was just reminding people of what good hockey looks like when referees actually call what they see and penalize players properly.

Good post! The key to the analytics is that they revealed that those plugs failed to help teams win, while fast-skating talented players do, even if they're on the small side. But what's interesting is that a huge percentage of old-school types - the Good Canadian Kid. Play the Right Way, Character and Honour types who dominate the old-boy network - failed ever to notice this on their own. They continued to default to big, strong, plodding, tough players with Grit and Character, and to discriminate against skilled players who lacked size, right up until the moment number-crunchers started supplying them with irrefutable data that those beloved plumbers were in fact costing them on the ice. And some, like our idiot GM, continued to subscribe to this ideology for many years thereafter in the teeth of all the evidence (until catastrophic team failures finally forced the adjustment). I fear, sometimes, that despite their stature as "experts," NHL GMs and coaches even really aren't much more savvy than the rest of us.

In order for the Habs to have as many goals as the Leafs after 5 games, we’d have to average 9 goals a game over the next two outings. The leafs have 25 after 5 games while we have 7 goals after 3 games. The Leafs have 20 goals against however to our 7. It seems at this early stage that completely different systems are being applied by both teams but come playoff time, I think Toronto’s defensive stats will come back to bite them. They’ll lose another 7 game series this year.

On ‎2018‎-‎10‎-‎13 at 7:00 PM, xXx..CK..xXx said:

In order for the Habs to have as many goals as the Leafs after 5 games, we’d have to average 9 goals a game over the next two outings. The leafs have 25 after 5 games while we have 7 goals after 3 games. The Leafs have 20 goals against however to our 7. It seems at this early stage that completely different systems are being applied by both teams but come playoff time, I think Toronto’s defensive stats will come back to bite them. They’ll lose another 7 game series this year.

Yeah.  Leaf's system is called "we have big players up front".
Habs' system is the "we ain't got none" one.

It's amazing what a couple of weeks can do.  At the beginning of the month, Toronto had too many NHL goalies.  They lost two on waivers (McElhinney to CAR and Pickard to FLA).  Then their AHL starter (Kasimir Kaskisuo) got hurt.  Now, Frederik Andersen is injured and they've been forced to call up an ECHL goalie, a throw-in they got in the Matt Martin trade this summer.  Their NHL tandem until Andersen is healthy is Garret Sparks and Eamon McAdam.  Suffice it to say, Toronto will be in some more high scoring games.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

It's amazing what a couple of weeks can do.  At the beginning of the month, Toronto had too many NHL goalies.  They lost two on waivers (McElhinney to CAR and Pickard to FLA).  Then their AHL starter (Kasimir Kaskisuo) got hurt.  Now, Frederik Andersen is injured and they've been forced to call up an ECHL goalie, a throw-in they got in the Matt Martin trade this summer.  Their NHL tandem until Andersen is healthy is Garret Sparks and Eamon McAdam.  Suffice it to say, Toronto will be in some more high scoring games.

Where did you get that ?

it's not on NHL, TSN nor Rotoworld.

2 hours ago, JoeLassister said:

Where did you get that ?

it's not on NHL, TSN nor Rotoworld.

I saw it among the tweets on the main page.  This was the first one:

Since then, the Leafs have made the recall official and Andersen has a knee injury (DTD).

12 hours ago, DON said:

Svechnikov out 5-6months

Petterson concussed

Are teenagers (say 18 to 20) more prone to injury or get hurt more often in rookie year?

the Svechnikov that is out 5-6 months is Detroit's former first round pick and is 21 years old (turns 22 on Halloween).

His younger brother is a teenager playing for Carolina.

So I'm not sure what that says about teenagers.  Can't protect a kid forever. 

• dlbalr unpinned this topic