2018-19 NHL General Discussion Thread

dlbalr

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

the Svechnikov that is out 5-6 months is Detroit's former first round pick and is 21 years old (turns 22 on Halloween).

His younger brother is a teenager playing for Carolina.

So I'm not sure what that says about teenagers.  Can't protect a kid forever. 

Ah wrong Russian kid; anyways still curious as to whether rookies suffer more injuries than experienced players?

18 hours ago, DON said:

Svechnikov out 5-6months

Petterson concussed

Are teenagers (say 18 to 20) more prone to injury or get hurt more often in rookie year?

It's a very good question.

I have a feeling rookies get targeted more. Mattheson wanted to 'get back' at Petterson for having deked him out of his jockstrap. But something tells me that if it had been McDavid or Crosby doing that, Mattheson would have been upset, but would not have felt quite as morally outraged. Basically, rookies are not permitted to be flashy or to embarrass other guys according to the ridiculously oppressive code of the league (a code, I'd add, which largely rewards mediocrity while punishing excellence and talent). The result is that a truly gifted kid like Petterson gets put out by a plumber like Mattheson and everything rolls along as always, with the fans and anyone who actually loves hockey the poorer for it.

The other side of it is to say that kids like Petterson have not yet learned to protect themselves. The same thing was said when McDavid crashed into the boards and missed a bunch of games in his rookie year: that he needed to learn to control his speed. That may be true, but I still hate the NHL mindset of 'punishing' rookies for being too enthusiastic and too talented.

Alzner and Petry???

Maybe they want to run Alzner out there 20+minutes to ensure a few more losses happen?:spamafote:

Would rather see Shaw in Armia's spot.

MONTREAL - Here's a look at the forward lines and defense pairings featured by head coach Claude Julien at Monday's practice at the Bell Centre.

Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Drouin - Domi - Lehkonen
Byron - Kotkaniemi - Armia
Deslauriers - Peca - Shaw
Hudon - Scherbak

Alzner - Petry
Ouellet - Benn
Reilly - Juulsen
Mete

2 hours ago, Habopotamus said:

Pacioretty having a tough go in Vegas 

He is on pace for 18 goals and 0 assists. He is a streaky player though, so it's very possible that he catches fire and all is forgiven by Vegas. But then there's also a chance that he is on a sharp decline :devil:

Someone suggested Domi should be scratched for undisciplined play, wacking d-man, then mouthing off to ref and tripping goalie.

Is a top forward or top pairing d-man ever scratched or no coach has the cajoles to risk losing a game because you sit a player like that.

Does anyone remember it ever happening in NHL? 

2 hours ago, DON said:

Someone suggested Domi should be scratched for undisciplined play, wacking d-man, then mouthing off to ref and tripping goalie.

Is a top forward or top pairing d-man ever scratched or no coach has the cajoles to risk losing a game because you sit a player like that.

Does anyone remember it ever happening in NHL? 

Tyler Seguin's been benched a couple of times for missing team meetings.  I'm sure there are a few others if someone wanted to go player by player and look it up but for the most part, the stars get the benefit of the doubt.  That said, Domi's not in that category.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Tyler Seguin's been benched a couple of times for missing team meetings.  I'm sure there are a few others if someone wanted to go player by player and look it up but for the most part, the stars get the benefit of the doubt.  That said, Domi's not in that category.

Ah yes.

Yanni Gourde gets a six-year, $31 million extension from Tampa.  It's going to be very interesting for them next summer as they have a lot of roster spots to fill and not much money.

$72.4 million tied up in 14 players

Brayden Point as a key RFA

3 defencemen signed (Stralman a key UFA)

Even if the cap goes up by a couple of million, that's quite a few roster spots that need to be filled and Point/Stralman (or Stralman's replacement) will take up most of that.  It'll be interesting to see if they start dangling a sweetener to unload Callahan's $5.8 million for next year as they'd undoubtedly love to have him off the books outright instead of two more years on a buyout.

1 hour ago, BCHabnut said:

ive lived in bc most my life and never been a nucks fan. That has slowly changed with this new group. I really like Pettersson.

Always pulled for them to do well since been here and cheered them on in playoffs and in 2011 I thought they had the Bruins beat.

On 03/11/2018 at 8:54 AM, BCHabnut said:

ive lived in bc most my life and never been a nucks fan. That has slowly changed with this new group. I really like Pettersson.

Pettersson looks like something special, all right - not just a star rookie but a potentially game-changing superstar. Boeser, meanwhile, is an absolute stud (even if he had a slightly dodgy start to the season). Add Horvat, a solid top-6 C, and you've got a line that has the potential to dominate the league for the next decade. Once Quinn Hughes makes the jump, I predict the Canucks will suddenly re-appear. They're maybe 2-3 years away from being a top franchise again. (Habs, I believe, have no player in the system who is on a par with Pettersson, Boeser, or Hughes, unfortunately).

• dlbalr unpinned this topic