2018-19 NHL General Discussion Thread

dlbalr

5 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Pettersson looks like something special, all right - not just a star rookie but a potentially game-changing superstar. Boeser, meanwhile, is an absolute stud (even if he had a slightly dodgy start to the season). Add Horvat, a solid top-6 C, and you've got a line that has the potential to dominate the league for the next decade. Once Quinn Hughes makes the jump, I predict the Canucks will suddenly re-appear. They're maybe 2-3 years away from being a top franchise again. (Habs, I believe, have no player in the system who is on a par with Pettersson, Boeser, or Hughes, unfortunately).

Pettersson is the clear best player here. 

Kotka is on par with Hughes, and better than Boeser IMO. 

I'd also say Suzuki is not far below that level. 

12 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

Kotkaniemi is better than Boeser?

Today, no.  But we aren't talking about today, we are talking about player's potential.  I think Kotkaniemi has the higher ceiling.  CC mentioned 2-3 years away.

Its the eternal Centre vs Winger debate. 

I would not trade Kotkaniemi straight up for Boeser.  I'd rather have the guy I see as being a future 1st line centre. 

11 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

Boeser is basically a point per game player

69.3pt/82gms, 21 yr old turning 22 in Feb.

So, no he isn't a ppg player and would need to project Kotkaniemi 3.5 years from now and then compare to a 69pt Boeser.

47 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

Boeser is basically a point per game player, with one of the best shots in the game. 

You're mad brother. 

1) 71 points in 84 games is not a point per game player.

2) i think 70 points, playing centre and being a strong two way player is something kotkaniemi can achieve in 3.5 years when he is the same age as boeser is now.  In fact i think he could even be more than that.  And a centre is more valuable than a winger.  Thats just a fact of the nhl.

58 minutes ago, Commandant said:

1) 71 points in 84 games is not a point per game player.

2) i think 70 points, playing centre and being a strong two way player is something kotkaniemi can achieve in 3.5 years when he is the same age as boeser is now.  In fact i think he could even be more than that.  And a centre is more valuable than a winger.  Thats just a fact of the nhl.

55 points in 62 games last year and 11 pts in 13 games this year.

Damn close to being a point per game in his first full season and he's carrying that on this season. 

Kotkaniemi has played 13 games. The read on him at the draft was a project type centre that would need grooming. There were rumours about him not even being a top 10 pick... Now after watching him for 13 games, and putting up 6 points, your pegging him as 70+ point player.   Come on now. 

Don't get me wrong, I love this kid, but let's not get carried away 

11 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

55 points in 62 games last year and 11 pts in 13 games this year.

Damn close to being a point per game in his first full season and he's carrying that on this season. 

Kotkaniemi has played 13 games. The read on him at the draft was a project type centre that would need grooming. There were rumours about him not even being a top 10 pick... Now after watching him for 13 games, and putting up 6 points, your pegging him as 70+ point player.   Come on now. 

Don't get me wrong, I love this kid, but let's not get carried away 

1) Boeser is not "damn close".  Hes a 70 point player.  No one calls a 70 point guy a ppg guy.

2) You think i have watched kotkaniemi for only 13 games?  You think the first i heard of kotkaniemi was when the Habs took him? I'll let someone else comment on that... i think my record on prospects speaks for itself.

18 minutes ago, Commandant said:

1) Boeser is not "damn close".  Hes a 70 point player.  No one calls a 70 point guy a ppg guy.

2) You think i have watched kotkaniemi for only 13 games?  You think the first i heard of kotkaniemi was when the Habs took him? I'll let someone else comment on that... i think my record on prospects speaks for itself.

Boesner had 55 points in 62 games last year. 7 points away from being a point per game in his first "full" season. Explain to me how that's not close to being a point per game. 

47 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

Boesner had 55 points in 62 games last year. 7 points away from being a point per game in his first "full" season. Explain to me how that's not close to being a point per game. 

7 points in 62 games is more than 0.1 ppg.

He is more than 10% short of being a ppg.

Noone calls 70 point guys (and his pace was under 70 per 82) a ppg guy

28 minutes ago, Commandant said:

7 points in 62 games is more than 0.1 ppg.

He is more than 10% short of being a ppg.

Noone calls 70 point guys (and his pace was under 70 per 82) a ppg guy

I never said he was a point per game player, for the 100th time. Or should I say 98.9th time... 

He was close. 

Listen, I'll be happy as a pig in shit if Kotkaniemi becomes a 70+ point guy, but i think those expectation are little skewed for a kid that has never been pegged as an elite scorer.... 

I'd be interested to see what DlBalr says about the kid. 

Boeser was obviously a more impactful rookie than Koko has been so far. I mean, he was a stud pretty much off the hop, was the single best player on the ice for the Canucks most nights. The only Habs rookie I can think of making a comparable impact was Subban. (These days The Flow is labouring with a groin pull and still managing to put up points). Kotkaniemi is, at this stage, merely a decent player out there, hanging in with the big boys but not lighting it up.

However, Boeser was 20 years old as a rookie, where Kotkaniemi is 18. Those two years make a big difference.

That said, we all thought the sky was the limit for Galy as well when he came up at the same age. If we assume a linear progression for Coconut Miami, then maybe he will become as good as Boeser or better. I've seen 'linear progression' go sideways enough times not to book it.

I do take the point about Koko being a C though.

50 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

I never said he was a point per game player, for the 100th time. Or should I say 98.9th time... 

He was close. 

Listen, I'll be happy as a pig in shit if Kotkaniemi becomes a 70+ point guy, but i think those expectation are little skewed for a kid that has never been pegged as an elite scorer.... 

Actually here is your exact quote

3 hours ago, Habopotamus said:

Boeser is basically a point per game player, with one of the best shots in the game. 

You're mad brother. 

"basically a point per game player"

He score 0.887 PPG.... thats not close in my book.

As for Kotkaniemi, you never addressed the fact that you assumed i had only watched him after he was drafted by Montreal.

15 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Actually here is your exact quote

"basically a point per game player"

He score 0.887 PPG.... thats not close in my book.

As for Kotkaniemi, you never addressed the fact that you assumed i had only watched him after he was drafted by Montreal.

"Basically" 

Sorry, I forgot you had a season tickets for assat in Finland.

I think Habopotamus has a pretty good point in that Boeser has proven a lot more than Koko at the very least. He played at *nearly* a 40 goal pace last year. That’s probably why to some it would seem mad not to trade him for an unproven 18 year old. Not saying I would trade Koko, but I get the evaluation.

But I’m glad you like Kotkaniemi that much Commandant, i’ve loved him so far too. And hope you’re right that he can be a 70+ Center in a couple years.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Habopotamus said:

Considering the offensive flashes he's shown, give him a top-end winger that can finish some of his out-of-nowhere passes and I think 70 points could be a possibility.  We're several years away from that happening though.

Just when you thought things couldn't get more embarrassing in Ottawa,  several players were caught on video badmouthing a coach while Matt Duchene boasted that he doesn't pay attention in team meetings.  What's next?  https://ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/ottawa-senators/candid-camera-ottawa-senators-players-caught-on-video-joking-about-team-badmouthing-coach

Chicago surprisingly fired Joel Quenneville today.  I guess Stan Bowman won the power struggle in the end.  Considering they were without Crawford for a while at the start of the year, have an aging roster, and a fairly iffy back end, I don't really think this is justified.

I don't think anything definite can be said about Kotka's ceiling at this point, there's a chance he's just solid two way player with nowhere near the offense of Boeser.  I'd guess that most neutral observers would rate Boeser as a better prospect at this point.

Surprised about Quenneville, doesn't he speak French? 

3 hours ago, Habopotamus said:

Were you not saying this team should draft Hughes, for the longest time?

I had him ranked third.  

I also said that I had it tiered with 

1 (way ahead)

2) (way behind 1, but way ahead of 3)

3 - 8 or so in the same tier. 

• dlbalr unpinned this topic