2018-19 NHL General Discussion Thread

dlbalr

44 minutes ago, Neech said:

I don't think anything definite can be said about Kotka's ceiling at this point, there's a chance he's just solid two way player with nowhere near the offense of Boeser.  I'd guess that most neutral observers would rate Boeser as a better prospect at this point.

Surprised about Quenneville, doesn't he speak French? 

Boeser's ceiling is basically being Max Pacioretty. 

As we saw with Pacioretty trading Wingers for Centres is damn near impossible.  Teams value centres (even those who score a little less than Pacioretty) as being more valuable than he is.  Its just the way things are. 

So if Kotka even turns into Ryan O'Reilly where he is putting up 55-65 points every year, and Boeser is the perennial 35g 70 pt guy... teams are going to value the centre more. 

2 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

At what age can you sign undrafted players? My cousins kid went undrafted for two years, but has looked pretty good so far this year. Here's 19.

Pretty sure teams can draft him until 20. If he’s not drafted at 20, teams can sign him in UFA

2 hours ago, Habopotamus said:

If you saw a 70+ point centre in Kotkaniemi. Why wouldn't he be your lock at #3. 

Because he didnt see him play as an 18 year old vs NHLers before the draft.

2 hours ago, Habopotamus said:

If you saw a 70+ point centre in Kotkaniemi. Why wouldn't he be your lock at #3. 

Because puck moving defenceman are also highly valuable and Hughes is also very, very good.  A potential 60+ point defenceman.

3 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

At what age can you sign undrafted players? My cousins kid went undrafted for two years, but has looked pretty good so far this year. Here's 19.

If they are Under 20 and play in the CHL, then they can only be signed during the summer (or in training camp).  Once they go back to their junior team, they re-enter the draft. 

7 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Because puck moving defenceman are also highly valuable and Hughes is also very, very good.  A potential 60+ point defenceman.

An elite c prospect would have been a no brainer. 

I just hope people are keeping expectations in check with Kotkaniemi. 

3 hours ago, Habopotamus said:

An elite c prospect would have been a no brainer. 

I just hope people are keeping expectations in check with Kotkaniemi. 

I believe in best player available and not positional need with drafting.

My rankings are also not based on any one team, they are all bpa

Alzner in Juulsen out? Assume Juulsen injured or sick?

Agostino said practising on 2nd PP unit.

Tatar-Danault-Gallagher

Drouin-Domi-Shaw

Agostino-Kotkaniemi-Lehkonen

Deslauriers-Peca-Hudon

Benn-Petry

Alzner-Reilly

Ouellet-Mete

Price

Domi and Shaw on the same line. Let's see if it turns out into a beautiful display of hockey skills ... or a brawl  

Go Habs Go! Play .500++ and win this one

Question.... How much do you think Montreal would have to eat out of Alzner 's contract to trade him? 

The other option is to talk Seattle into taking him at the expansion draft. If that cant happen then the only other option is to buy him out.

41 minutes ago, Metallica said:

Question.... How much do you think Montreal would have to eat out of Alzner 's contract to trade him? 

The other option is to talk Seattle into taking him at the expansion draft. If that cant happen then the only other option is to buy him out.

With four years left on the contract, they'd be in tough even with the max 50% unless they were taking a pricey contract back.

The other option is simply to hold onto him.  It's not a popular one but it's not as if his contract is really all that burdensome right now since they're so far below the Upper Limit.  I don't think he's going to magically improve but as long as they're this much under the cap, they may as well hold onto him.  When the time comes where they really need that space, he'll, in theory, be easier to trade since there won't be as many years left on the contract.  Failing that, the buyout is at least a lot shorter.

12 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

With four years left on the contract, they'd be in tough even with the max 50% unless they were taking a pricey contract back.

The other option is simply to hold onto him.  It's not a popular one but it's not as if his contract is really all that burdensome right now since they're so far below the Upper Limit.  I don't think he's going to magically improve but as long as they're this much under the cap, they may as well hold onto him.  When the time comes where they really need that space, he'll, in theory, be easier to trade since there won't be as many years left on the contract.  Failing that, the buyout is at least a lot shorter.

Basically like Toronto with Horton and Philly with MacDonald - why fix a cap problem when it isn't currently a problem? Cross that cap-anchor bridge when we get to it.

And then burn it. And then nuke it from space. 

Still, would be nice to have a player more fitting to the team than Alzner. 

1 hour ago, Habopotamus said:

Pacioretty- 2 points in 12 game. Yikes 

He is very streaky.

Galchenyuk starting out better 6pts in 7gms, but has only taken and lost 3 faceoffs on the PP,  so not sure if being used much at centre?

I'd been predicting immanent decline for Patches for a while, and this slump is suggestive. He will of course go on a tear eventually  but his decline will likely be marked by longer slumps and fewer hot streaks. I have a feeling we moved him at just the right time.

17 minutes ago, DON said:

He is very streaky.

Galchenyuk starting out better 6pts in 7gms, but has only taken and lost 3 faceoffs on the PP,  so not sure if being used much at centre?

He did take 77 faceoffs in 7 games.  I'd say he is.

Canuckleheads score 8 (!) on the Prunes as Jaro Halak (whose presence in Beantown reminds me of the Habs signing of Andy Moog at the tail end of his career) turns into a pumpkin. 

Amazingly, Van did it without Brock Boeser and with Pettersson being held off the scoresheet. I can't see it lasting, but right now they're up there with the Habs as an early-season Cinderella story.

45 minutes ago, DON said:

He is very streaky.

I've been waiting for that hot streak. It probably will happen, but CC is right about a possible decline 

2 hours ago, JoeLassister said:

He did take 77 faceoffs in 7 games.  I'd say he is.

dela Rose 67 FO in 6 games, so you agree Galchenyuk seems is in a bottom six centre role, if he is playing centre. 0 for 3 combined on the PP and PK, so Toccett does not have much faith in him at centre neither (so far anyways).

9 minutes ago, DON said:

dela Rose 67 FO in 6 games, so you agree Galchenyuk seems is in a bottom six centre role, if he is playing centre. 0 for 3 combined on the PP and PK, so Toccett does not have much faith in him at centre neither (so far anyways).

He's playing with Clayton Keller... so no, I don't think they see him as a bottom 6 centre.

He doesn't take faceoffs on PP because Stepan takes them on PP1.

1 hour ago, DON said:

He's playing centre on their top line at 5 on 5 with Clayton Keller and Lawson Crouse

He's playing LW on the power play with Derek Stepan playing centre. 

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/teams/arizona-coyotes/line-combinations/

• dlbalr unpinned this topic