2018-19 NHL General Discussion Thread

dlbalr

2 hours ago, illWill said:

It's crazy how every NHL coach he has had puts him on the wing, it's almost as if he is better as a winger. 

I think we - and he - may have to accept this conclusion! Obviously his defensive holes simply are too great to trade off in exchange for the improved production he generates at C, at leadt in the minds of the average NHL coach. Considering that Domi is flourishing at C, this trade looks like that rarest of gems: a bona fide steal by the CH. We were waaaaay overdue for a major trade that actually helped the team.

17 minutes ago, DON said:

Seems might of cut bait with ol Markov at right time; he had 3pts in 19playoff games last year and has 2g 10pts in 33games this year.

That couldn't be another good decisions by MB. It may upset a few on this board :P

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

That couldn't be another good decisions by MB. It may upset a few on this board :P

Maybe, but is just an observation and i 100% agree Bergevin f'ed up by not having a plan "B" other than a washed up d-man to replace Markov. But, seems unlikely Markov would of made much of a difference in season failure.  :spamafote:

6 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

When the decision was to replace markov with a five year contract for karl alzner, i cant see it as a good decision.

30 minutes ago, Commandant said:

When the decision was to replace markov with a five year contract for karl alzner, i cant see it as a good decision.

To be fair you and I actually supported the Alzner signing if I remember correctly.

Obviously it was hard to tell he would fall off completely but whatever.

51 minutes ago, Scott462 said:

To be fair you and I actually supported the Alzner signing if I remember correctly.

I was OK with Alzner signing, but didnt really know his game and never paid any attention to him before.

13 hours ago, DON said:

I was OK with Alzner signing, but didnt really know his game and never paid any attention to him before.

His game fell off in the playoffs with Washington, right before Bergevin signed him

That signing signified how lost this management group was. Way behind the curve, and letting character trump everything.... We're now paying for the terrible moves Bergevin has made defensively. 

I will give Bergevin some credit, because he is making up for some of his mistakes, but the true issue with this team is that there are no puck movers. Petry is solid when he's moving his feet, but his passing is sub par, next would be maybe Reilly.... 

Not having defense who can stretch a pass, makes it so much tougher for a speedy forward group. 

4 hours ago, DON said:

Habs still in wildcard spot, Chicago is dead last in league.

Chicago is embracing the "Loose for Hughes" moto. I would trade Alzner to them to help them :)

On 12/7/2018 at 7:45 PM, Scott462 said:

Two things

1) i was working under the impression that alzner was not the only big defender we were signing. With the cap space we had i thought markov or some other replacement (via trade) would be acquired to play with Weber.

2) yes i was wrong and thought alzner was better than he was.  I thought he would be a good top 4 partnered with Petry.  I was wrong on that. 

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

Two things

1) i was working under the impression that alzner was not the only big defender we were signing. With the cap space we had i thought markov or some other replacement (via trade) would be acquired to play with Weber.

2) yes i was wrong and thought alzner was better than he was.  I thought he would be a good top 4 partnered with Petry.  I was wrong on that. 

We both were wrong mate, I’m just breaking balls.

On 12/9/2018 at 11:22 AM, Commandant said:

Two things

Actually, If I remember correctly, you and I were both of the mind when Alzner signed that he was replacing Emelin's spot and minutes, neither of us thought at the time he was the replacement or would have a chance in hell to adequately replace Markov's role or minutes. That replacement simply went unreplaced, which was a colossal mistake at the time resulting in a plan G move of signing Streit for 700k.

Sadly I recall thinking Alzner was going to be an upgrade of Emelin's minutes, but even that was wrong in the end...

EDIT: Here is one of my misguided thoughts on the matter at the time of his signing I manage to dig up...

As far as i'm concerned, Schlemko replaced Beaulieu for less and brings a similar game. Alzner replaced Emelin for similar dollars and a similar game but more effective.

Now its either Markov, or whoever is going to replace him, I keep seeing the mindset that Alzner is coming to replace Markov but he is not, He is replacing Emelin. We lost Emelin for nothing and we gained Alzner for nothing. Safe to say I'd rather have Alzner playing where Emelin was supposed to slot in all day any day.

Its easy to turn this signing negative by twisting it around as Alzner replacles Markov but that is insanity, they are completely different players. I doubt very seriously that MB thinks Alzner will slot in everywhere Markov did, on the top Pair, on the PP, and not play any PK. Look at it that way and ask yourself if it is even possible other than blinding yourself to biased levels of hate for MB, that he could possibly think that. Alzner is coming in to be a physical stay at home presence who can log huge minutes on the PK and eat minutes against top players when paired with a puck mover. Does that sound ANYTHING like what Markov would be asked to do if he was still here? or does it sound like what Emelin would be asked to do if he was still here? 

Come on guys..

On 12/2/2018 at 7:46 PM, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I think we - and he - may have to accept this conclusion! Obviously his defensive holes simply are too great to trade off in exchange for the improved production he generates at C, at leadt in the minds of the average NHL coach. Considering that Domi is flourishing at C, this trade looks like that rarest of gems: a bona fide steal by the CH. We were waaaaay overdue for a major trade that actually helped the team.

His production has been very last season like over there while playing C up until now, I think ultimately, his high level of individual skill masked the holes in his game that are just making it hard for him to put it all together at the highest level with any kind of consistency. Coaches seem to think he will produce the same offensive results at W or C, but with less of the defensive punishment from the W. 

When he slumps, the coaches he has had first thought is always, well if I alleviate him of the constant thinking of his defensive duties, it will free him to be more creative and offensive, so I will move him  to W. But then what ends up happening at W is he becomes a static shooter who only creates offense from one timers or shots on net while coming down the wing, hardly any between the dot presence at all. There seems to be a reason in both positions why he can't produce to the level everyone expects of him,. To me, it just looks like, especially now, that a player with immense individual skill is being held back by his own fundamental flaws, which may or may never be worked out in a way that allows him to finally put it all together as expected.

lines at practice today;

Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Drouin - Domi - Byron
Lehkonen - Kotkaniemi - Shaw 
Agostino - Chaput - Peca 
Hudon - Deslauriers

Kulak - Weber
Mete - Petry
Benn - Schlemko 
Reilly

What a weird situation in Buffalo with Patrik Berglund.  After being suspended for failure to report to the team, he's on unconditional waivers for mutual contract termination.  Berglund is still owed over $12.5 million on his current contract.  Granted, he'll catch on somewhere else and recoup some of that but certainly not close to a $4MM per year deal which is what he's walking away from.  How badly did he want to get out of there?

Max Pacioretty has been placed on IR which means he won't play against the Habs on Saturday.

• dlbalr unpinned this topic