2018-19 NHL General Discussion Thread

dlbalr

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 11:52 AM, BCHabnut said:

Crazy how in 10 years chirelli goes from one of the most respected gms in the league to this.

It's kind of remarkable and calls out for explanation. One thought is that you need a lot of luck to win a Cup. E.g., Gainey looked like a mastermind in Dallas, came to Montreal, and got decidedly mixed results, never really managing to build a contender. Maybe Chiarelli was lucky in Beantown and just unlucky in Edmonton.

Conversely, maybe Boston had a really good organization (scouts, administrative people, etc.) which he inherited; and maybe the rot in EDM was so deep that he could not overcome it, even became absorbed into it. The horrendous trades and dodgy drafting outside the first round speak to dubious scouting at both the amateur and pro level; while the Lucic contract speaks to a guy who fell into the classic NHL trap of loyalty to the guys you won with in the past, irrespective of how the game is going in the future.

My question is, if he is on the bubble, who is his most likely replacement? Part of me wants to see #99 in the GM chair (although it won't happen, surely).

5 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It's kind of remarkable and calls out for explanation. One thought is that you need a lot of luck to win a Cup. E.g., Gainey looked like a mastermind in Dallas, came to Montreal, and got decidedly mixed results, never really managing to build a contender. Maybe Chiarelli was lucky in Beantown and just unlucky in Edmonton.

Conversely, maybe Boston had a really good organization (scouts, administrative people, etc.) which he inherited; and maybe the rot in EDM was so deep that he could not overcome it, even became absorbed into it. The horrendous trades and dodgy drafting outside the first round speak to dubious scouting at both the amateur and pro level; while the Lucic contract speaks to a guy who fell into the classic NHL trap of loyalty to the guys you won with in the past, irrespective of how the game is going in the future.

My question is, if he is on the bubble, who is his most likely replacement? Part of me wants to see #99 in the GM chair (although it won't happen, surely).

Chiarelli also made some questionable moves in Boston, such as the Seguin Trade, the Blake Wheeler trade, Tomas Kaberle, and others.  However he got lucky with the Kessel trade and he had a good staff behind him os they were able to succeed in spite of him

On 2019-01-19 at 3:05 PM, Commandant said:

The islanders pdo is crazy.  That team is still shit... just lucky.

They are looking pretty good vs Hawks tonight.

Galchenyuk 54pt/82 pace this year.

Pacioretty  58pt/82gm pace (30.2 goal pace)

Edited by DON
ex habs stats

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

Chiarelli also made some questionable moves in Boston, such as the Seguin Trade, the Blake Wheeler trade, Tomas Kaberle, and others.  However he got lucky with the Kessel trade and he had a good staff behind him os they were able to succeed in spite of him

Good point. Boston's drafting and development seems to have been very good, with or without him.

11 hours ago, Commandant said:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand he's gone. Fired late last night. 

The whole administrative group should be removed by the owner. It's been sour in Edmonton for too long for it to just be a GM issue. 

2 hours ago, Trizzak said:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand he's gone. Fired late last night. 

The whole administrative group should be removed by the owner. It's been sour in Edmonton for too long for it to just be a GM issue. 

It really is remarkable. They need to clean house completely all right. There must be a hell of a book to be written on the inner doings of that organization over the past decade.

What is next for them? Who are the leading GM candidates to take over? What hockey moves do they need to make? How long will it take to 'rebuild' after Chiarelli squandered all those assets?? Speak, ye experts of Habsworld!

(Imagine being an Oil fan? I think 25 years of non-contention in Montreal is frustrating...imagine being those guys)

I remember thinking when Edmonton won McDavid that they would be an instant dynasty. It is mind boggling how inept Chirelli was in his role during his time there. In terms of what is coming, I can see Kevin Lowe taking over for the rest of the season until they find a replacement. Hockey moves to be made, there's so many holes that they can just start anywhere. I would trade one of Nuge, Draisaitl or McDavid. Their 3 best players by a mile are centers, so whichever return makes the most sense in dealing one of those is where I'd start. Luckily for them rebuilds don't take very long these days and they can be competitive again as early as next year. 

1 hour ago, Habopotamus said:

Why would they let him sign that goalie, right before firing him. That is going to be another mistake 

Hall for Larsson might be the worst trade of the modern era.

It's an unbelievably bad trade - although I seem to recall most 'experts' at the time saying it was a reasonable move by EDM. One thing that seems clear is that Edmonton is a talent sinkhole that tends to make players worse than they might otherwise be. But yeah, to trade a Hart trophy winner for a 20-point defenceman is about as awful as it gets, approaching the Roy or Chelios or Thornton debacles in terms of historic badness.

As for the Koskinen deal, I see that as a 'frustration' signing - a team that is sick of having a sieve in net looking to staunch the bleeding. And it does speak to a wider rot in management, since clearly Chiarelli was not the only one who supported that move. How is Kevin Lowe still part of the brain trust? Why are he and MacTavish somehow untouchable?

36 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It's an unbelievably bad trade - although I seem to recall most 'experts' at the time saying it was a reasonable move by EDM. One thing that seems clear is that Edmonton is a talent sinkhole that tends to make players worse than they might otherwise be. But yeah, to trade a Hart trophy winner for a 20-point defenceman is about as awful as it gets, approaching the Roy or Chelios or Thornton debacles in terms of historic badness.

As for the Koskinen deal, I see that as a 'frustration' signing - a team that is sick of having a sieve in net looking to staunch the bleeding. And it does speak to a wider rot in management, since clearly Chiarelli was not the only one who supported that move. How is Kevin Lowe still part of the brain trust? Why are he and MacTavish somehow untouchable?

I didnt even know mactavish was still there 

57 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

I didnt even know mactavish was still there 

VP Hockey Ops, whatever that means. The title should be VP Hockey F**k--Ups.

It's interesting, I did a quick Google hit on him and found his LinkedIn page...a whole bunch of NHL honchos are on LinkedIn, unless those are fake sites. (They seem to be genuine). I don't know why this surprises me, but for some reason it does.

6 hours ago, DON said:

Oil have any young LH d-men a new GM may part with?

Highly doubt they would move Darnell Nurse.  He's emerging as a stud this year.  Has no help on that blueline, but he's been their best D.

There were rumours previously (last summer) that the Oilers might move Klefbom, I have no idea what their new GM will think of such a move (and he's injured right now anyways). 

I'd try to get Caleb Jones if they are trading prospects. 

11 hours ago, DON said:

Oil have any young LH d-men a new GM may part with?

Not young, but why not put out a lowball offer out for Sekera?

It's a risk for sure as he's coming off of injury and signed for 2 more years at $5.5, but at his best he's a great option for the top 4.

22 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Not young, but why not put out a lowball offer out for Sekera?

It's a risk for sure as he's coming off of injury and signed for 2 more years at $5.5, but at his best he's a great option for the top 4.

It's a big risk.  He was brutal in limited action last season as he had injury problems (particularly the knee) and now it's an Achilles injury.  These are going to sap his mobility and he wasn't the best of skaters to begin with.  If they wanted to do Alzner for him, sure but otherwise, I'd stay away as I'm not sure he can be more than a third pairing guy moving forward.

On 1/23/2019 at 9:47 AM, illWill said:

I remember thinking when Edmonton won McDavid that they would be an instant dynasty.

And that was just a few years after three consecutive #1 draft picks (Hall, Nugent-Hopkins and Yakupov) -- and #7 and #3 picks in the two intervening years.

• dlbalr unpinned this topic