2018-19 NHL General Discussion Thread

dlbalr

9 hours ago, Neech said:

Drouin is a guy who should spend a night in the pressbox every month or two.  He can be a game-breaker but too often he just floats.  Not made for an 82 game season.

Kovalev may of been his idol, but he just isnt as talanted as the big Russian.

They say defense can be taught, i hope Drouin maybe focuses on that side of game more and likely would pay off offensively. Or maybe guys like he and Galchenyuk just refuse to work or focus on play without puck (Brett Hull-syndrome)?

Habs outside looking in and both wildcard teams also with game in hand.

Habs tied to pick 12th-15th at the moment.

Philip Broberg 6'3" LH d-man, Thomas Harley 6'3" LH d-man ?

They might be good fit in Habs current range (i know nothing of them but what is on paper, one ranking and biggest current need of Habs roster).

Sportsnet had these two ranked #14, #15 and sorry to say, that is where i think Habs will finish.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/349467/philip-broberg

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/465160/thomas-harley

#### off !!!  I got  Morgan Rielly, Frederik Andersen AND the Toronto Maple Leafs (the team) in my fantasy pool.  Currently sitting in 2nd place.

He better not be the one who used homophobic slur and get suspended for like 10+ games !!!

:wall:

5 hours ago, DON said:

Hughes a lock for 1st pick, safe to say i assume?

I'd take Hughes. 

There is some talk that Kaako closed the gap.  In fact one ranking (sportsnet) has Kaako at #1, but the rest are all Hughes. 

Quietly Kenny Agostion is putting up points and helping NJ win, while the Habs can't get any scoring from thier 4th line.  Proof that keeping players because of the language they speak is no solid way to run a hockey team. 

36 minutes ago, Richard09 said:

Quietly Kenny Agostion is putting up points and helping NJ win, while the Habs can't get any scoring from thier 4th line.  Proof that keeping players because of the language they speak is no solid way to run a hockey team. 

NJ isnt winning much.

Kenny agostino scored a few points with increased minutes on a team with few capable nhl forwards.  Hes still under 0.5 ppg despite the minutes.  Its a classic put a player on the ice enough and he will get some points on a bad hockey club.  Aka oleg petrov circa the late 90s early 2000s habs.

30 minutes ago, Commandant said:

NJ isnt winning much.

Kenny agostino scored a few points with increased minutes on a team with few capable nhl forwards.  Hes still under 0.5 ppg despite the minutes.  Its a classic put a player on the ice enough and he will get some points on a bad hockey club.  Aka oleg petrov circa the late 90s early 2000s habs.

Okay I will not have anyone disrespect Petrov in any such ways. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

NJ isnt winning much.

0.5 ppg is worth $3.5M among our forwards.  There's a tendency among fans to assume the best of the new 4th liners, but Thompson and Weal haven't shown me any more than Agostino, Chaput, Hudon or Peca.  They have good faceoff numbers I guess, but I've seen plenty of gaffes.  

2 hours ago, Neech said:

0.5 ppg is worth $3.5M among our forwards.  There's a tendency among fans to assume the best of the new 4th liners, but Thompson and Weal haven't shown me any more than Agostino, Chaput, Hudon or Peca.  They have good faceoff numbers I guess, but I've seen plenty of gaffes.  

He is doing that playing a big role, hes on the devils 2nd line right now. The fact is his ppg drop on a good team.  It would not continue if given a regular role in a lineup and not being force fed minutes due to injuries and trades that have depleted the regular devils lineup to the point that hes on the second line.  He wouldnt get those minutes in a normal situation and his points wouldnt be there.

He remains what hes been in other organizations... a quadruple-a player... dominant in the AHL but not good enough in the NHL.

8 hours ago, Commandant said:

He is doing that playing a big role, hes on the devils 2nd line right now. The fact is his ppg drop on a good team.  It would not continue if given a regular role in a lineup and not being force fed minutes due to injuries and trades that have depleted the regular devils lineup to the point that hes on the second line.  He wouldnt get those minutes in a normal situation and his points wouldnt be there.

He remains what hes been in other organizations... a quadruple-a player... dominant in the AHL but not good enough in the NHL.

I can't believe anyone is getting upset over a squib like Kenny Agostino :rolleyes: 

Couple LH d-men prospects

https://thehockeywriters.com/philip-broberg-2019-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

1. Mikko Kokkonen, LHD / 5’11 190 / Liiga

Logs heavy minutes in all situations and produces a calm and measured approach. That mature game earned him the distinction of being the youngest player to ever suit up in a Liiga game as a 15-year-old. Strong outlets, good compete level and defensive positioning. He’s been superb in the Liiga early on this season. A deft two-way player who likely projects as a complementary offensive piece at the next level

On 3/16/2019 at 10:52 AM, Commandant said:

I'd take Hughes. 

There is some talk that Kaako closed the gap.  In fact one ranking (sportsnet) has Kaako at #1, but the rest are all Hughes.

I think the two are close enough that it'll be a question of which one is the best fit for whatever organization is drafting first.

On 3/21/2019 at 3:32 PM, DON said:

Couple LH d-men prospects

https://thehockeywriters.com/philip-broberg-2019-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

1. Mikko Kokkonen, LHD / 5’11 190 / Liiga

Logs heavy minutes in all situations and produces a calm and measured approach. That mature game earned him the distinction of being the youngest player to ever suit up in a Liiga game as a 15-year-old. Strong outlets, good compete level and defensive positioning. He’s been superb in the Liiga early on this season. A deft two-way player who likely projects as a complementary offensive piece at the next level

Of the two, I like Kokkonen's potential better, but that's just me. And we don't have any Finns on D at the moment! :)

On 3/24/2019 at 11:25 AM, tomh009 said:

I think the two are close enough that it'll be a question of which one is the best fit for whatever organization is drafting first.

I don't.

Even if the two are close.... every team should take the natural C over the natural W, no matter what there organizational needs are. 

Kakko has to pull away as being far superior to make it worth drafting him ahead of a C

Ovi got Goal #50 tonight (and #51 for good measure) to give him his 8th 50 goal season.  He needs one more 50 goal season to pull even with Bossy and Gretzky.  Impressive.

• Like 1

A real pity about the CWHL folding. Why doesn't the NHL buy the league and bring it along as a small side-business? https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/cwhl-ceasing-operations-unsustainable-finance-1.5078834

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

A real pity about the CWHL folding. Why doesn't the NHL buy the league and bring it along as a small side-business? https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/cwhl-ceasing-operations-unsustainable-finance-1.5078834

Bettman has been clear that while  the NWHL and CWHL were competitors, he didnt want the NHL getting in the middle of it but if the leagues merged he would consider a partnership.

This could be the CWHL sacrificing themselves for the good of the game.  There is already talk of the potential of some CWHL teams being absorbed into the NWHL going forward but obviously the logistics and legalties need to be worked out.

When the dust settles and one league remains i think the nhl gets involved.  We already see teams partnered like the sabres and the buffalo team... the devils, the habs, the flames... all these clubs were involved with the womens teams in their area.

I looked up CWHL attendance and it appears that les Canadiennes led the league with 283 fans per match. All pro sports are inherently frivolous and I don't see the need to prop up ones that don't have a market.  That said, it's good optics (and perhaps good marketing) for the NHL to have a sister league with at least a handful of teams, and it'll help the quality of women's Olympic hockey each time that rolls around.

On 2019-04-01 at 10:54 AM, Commandant said:

Bettman has been clear that while  the NWHL and CWHL were competitors, he didnt want the NHL getting in the middle of it but if the leagues merged he would consider a partnership.

This could be the CWHL sacrificing themselves for the good of the game.  There is already talk of the potential of some CWHL teams being absorbed into the NWHL going forward but obviously the logistics and legalties need to be worked out.

When the dust settles and one league remains i think the nhl gets involved.  We already see teams partnered like the sabres and the buffalo team... the devils, the habs, the flames... all these clubs were involved with the womens teams in their area.

If this is a precursor to absorption of at least some of those franchise into the NWHL, then maybe it will work out for the best in the long run. 

23 hours ago, Neech said:

I looked up CWHL attendance and it appears that les Canadiennes led the league with 283 fans per match. All pro sports are inherently frivolous and I don't see the need to prop up ones that don't have a market.  That said, it's good optics (and perhaps good marketing) for the NHL to have a sister league with at least a handful of teams, and it'll help the quality of women's Olympic hockey each time that rolls around.

283! Holy cow. 

Where does that 283 number come from.  It seems really low.

I know they arent doing great but that seems crazy.

Edit: Those numbers are from 2011-12.

Seems the league grew quite a bit since then.  I dont see regular season attendance but the clarkson cup final did just under 7000 fans.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Found last season's regular season averages at hockey db

Montreal 1567

Calgary 460

Toronto 358

Worcester (formerly Boston) 83

Thats average attendance per game.

I'd like to see sports media pumping the league's tires a bit. Granted, Vancouver doesn't have a team, but I *never* hear a single word of coverage about them except over the league folding, and over the Clarkson Cup. Other than that, nada.

I understand the supply and demand argument, but it's chicken and egg; media coverage can help bolster demand. Indeed, given the relative paucity of things to talk about on Canadian sports media - NHL coverage swamps everything else, we have hardly any major league teams outside the NHL, and hockey swamps all other sports in general - it's kind of in the media's interest to nurture fan support for a second set of hockey teams. In other words, it's a potential growth area. I read today that the NWHL intends to move into the markets the CWHL is abandoning, so hopefully women's pro hockey can progress upwards from here.

• dlbalr unpinned this topic