2018-19 NHL General Discussion Thread

dlbalr

On 4/3/2019 at 10:01 PM, DON said:

Tkachuk 21st and 22nd goal, having a solid rookie year for sure.

I think we will be wondering for a while whether we made the right choice at  #3. Have we had our exit interviews? Starving at a little bit of news on something!

2 hours ago, BlueKross said:

I think we will be wondering for a while whether we made the right choice at  #3. Have we had our exit interviews? Starving at a little bit of news on something!

There are probably better players chosen after Kotka, we just have to hope it's not a huge gap and we passed on superstars for a decent player.  I am confident, however, that we'll be happier with this #3 pick than we were with Chucky at #3.

1 hour ago, Neech said:

There are probably better players chosen after Kotka, we just have to hope it's not a huge gap and we passed on superstars for a decent player.  I am confident, however, that we'll be happier with this #3 pick than we were with Chucky at #3.

Tkuckuk for starters?

1 hour ago, BlueKross said:

Tkuckuk for starters?

Who else do you have in mind after the 'starter'? You also must be one of the few who think a winger is what the Habs needed to draft?

1 hour ago, BlueKross said:

Tkuckuk for starters?

A player who was 10 months older (makes a big difference at 18) and played top line minutes and PP time? And was carried 3/4 of the season with Stone and Duchene? 

Yeah, I would say its a little early to draw that conclusion.

Quennville coaching Florida and the ever persistent rumours that they will be all in on both Panarin and Bobrovsky makes the Panthers a little bit scary for the Atlantic next season.

On 4/8/2019 at 3:23 PM, DON said:

Who else do you have in mind after the 'starter'? You also must be one of the few who think a winger is what the Habs needed to draft?

My argument was value for the third pick.  Tkuckuk had 20 goals this year. We may not know Kok's potential for another three years. I don't believe necessarily in picking BPA but there is a case that they didn't here. I would tell you that they have needed a #1 center for years. I don't have a problem with their pick. Just saying1

4 hours ago, BlueKross said:

My argument was value for the third pick.  Tkuckuk had 20 goals this year. We may not know Kok's potential for another three years. I don't believe necessarily in picking BPA but there is a case that they didn't here. I would tell you that they have needed a #1 center for years. I don't have a problem with their pick. Just saying1

Yes and when you say starter, one assumes you have others...no?

Even though judging 2 kids after similar rookie years is highly debatable; (even Yakapov looked good after year 1), coming from totally different backgrounds, different age and playing for two different teams, one a celler dweller the other much deeper lineup, muddies the waters for these two teenagers.

I think both had fine rookie years, what that means for career is a wild ass guess at best.

2 hours ago, DON said:

Yes and when you say starter, one assumes you have others...no?

Even though judging 2 kids after similar rookie years is highly debatable; (even Yakapov looked good after year 1), coming from totally different backgrounds, different age and playing for two different teams, one a celler dweller the other much deeper lineup, muddies the waters for these two teenagers.

I think both had fine rookie years, what that means for career is a wild ass guess at best.

Just to clear things up I said for starters which would be something to the effect of " in the first instant" or " I will start my argument with" and nothing to do with starters as you propose.

11 hours ago, BlueKross said:

We also still don't know Kotkaniemi's or Tkachuk's ultimate potential. We'll know that in maybe five years' time.

And we say BPA, "Best Player Available". But really it is WWTITBPABOWWKN -- "Who we think is the best player available, based on what we know now". No one knew at the time of the draft whether Tkachuk would score 5, 10, 20 or 30 goals, or spend the season in the AHL.

Hindsight is lovely, and usually 20-20, but when you are making the picks on draft day, you simply don't have that information available.

Now that the golden voice of Bob Cole is retired, my new favorite voices are John Bartlett and Chris cuthbert. Hughson is very good as well but I think he will keep his lead role by familiarity only. Bartlett is number one in my book. He's great at setting the tone.  Calls plays accurately. And has the voice fir it.  

Always liked Gord Miller and Ray Ferraro games.

But, often i dont pay much attention, care or know who it is (record every game being on the west coast and normally just FF through talking head bits).

I'm not sure why cooper annoys me. He seems like a baby when he loses or something. He's from my hometown so I should like him, but I just want to bully him for some reason. Can't stand him. 

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

Apparently Tampa Bay isn't a lock for the Cup after all ...

Thought i heard it was only 8 of last 28 years reg season #1 teams, to also win the cup the same year (didnt factcheck:spamafote:).

13 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

Ferraro is the Tony Romo of color commentating. He's elite. Better than everyone. 

Love Ferraro. His spots on Vancouver radio are must-listen for me. Mike Johnson is also quite good. Predictably, these excellent voices have never received as much airtime as blowhards and medicorities such as Nick Kyprios, Gary Galley, and Sour Grapes. It's almost as if hockey broadcasting, especially HNIC, makes a point of penalizing intelligence.

• Upvote 1

• dlbalr unpinned this topic