2018-19 NHL General Discussion Thread

dlbalr

15 hours ago, Chris said:

he'll be the next habs coach after CJ.

Habs seem to like recycling coaches

Both Vigneault and Julien are quality coaches. No shame at all in 'recycling' them.

Therrien is an ignorant pusbag who should not have been given a first NHL job let alone the third his bum buddy Bergie saw fit to give him. A fourth should be out of the question.

We're still in April and we have preseason news already.  The Habs and Panthers will play in the annual Hockeyville game which will take place on September 18th in Renous, New Brunswick.  Good news, that's one game that will likely be nationally televised.

Buffalo & Ottawa supposedly interested in Jacques Martin for head coach.

An idiots tweet, just Bouchard's take on young players these days.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, DON said:

Adam Fox's rights traded from Canes to Rangers, for a 2019 2nd and another conditional 2020 2nd.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=177791

Another 5'10" quick d-man.

48pts in 33gms at Harvard this year..but is a RH d-man so no loss to Habs.

Kid wanted New York, even if we traded for him, we were never signing him anyway. 

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

Kid wanted New York, even if we traded for him, we were never signing him anyway. 

I guess another example of picking a good NCAA player backfiring...is this a new type of "Russian-like factor" that must be factored in during drafting?

(One reason why Primeau was signed early?)

8 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

It feels like the NHL is taking let them play to a whole new level this playoff.  Whoever cheats the best wins I guess. 

How well-positioned are the Habs to succeed in such 'anything goes' playoff series (assuming they could make the playoffs)? Guys like Domi and Gallagher will feel right at home, but is the team on the whole gritty/heavy enough to survive? Not a veiled criticism of the team; I'm honestly asking. 

39 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

How well-positioned are the Habs to succeed in such 'anything goes' playoff series (assuming they could make the playoffs)? Guys like Domi and Gallagher will feel right at home, but is the team on the whole gritty/heavy enough to survive? Not a veiled criticism of the team; I'm honestly asking. 

Unfortunately, I don’t think that they are very well positioned in that area given the way they were manhandled by “heavy” teams at times during the regular season 

It is obvious they wouldn't be "Heavy" enough to deal with the teams built that way, but are those teams fast enough to keep up to the pace we are built for? You build your team a certain way, and you run with it, you can't expect to be a great team in every facet, there is no such thing. Some teams are built fast, some heavy, some teams are built around a couple really high end skilled players, some are built deep and play a hard working team oriented game. The list goes on of the variety of ways these things get put together, one thing is for sure, there is no team that has great speed, really heavy, Is very deep, has a couple high end skilled guys, and works extremely hard at both ends of the ice. That team, if it existed, would be a cup winner every season, no point even playing. 

I am not convinced in the slightest that a team with smaller, very fast guys, who have a bulldog, hard nosed,mentality, would get moped up by a heavier, slower team in the playoffs. A bunch of smaller guys who shy away from contact, sure that team will suffocate when the game tightens up. Guys like Domi, Gallagher, Shaw, Byron, Danault, not really in their DNA, i'm not worried about entering a playoff run with those kind of warriors. What would worry me about them in the playoffs currently is the fact they are an incomplete team, missing some key pieces to truly tie it all together as a team who can do some damage and go on a run. But certainly not how they play the game and who they have playing it that way, these guys are built on speed and tenacity, and tenacity is as important a stat, not on paper, during the playoffs as any. There are simply big holes that need filling holding them back from reaching their potential, but it is certainly a model that can work when fully constructed, properly.

58 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Ken Holland is expected to be named GM of the Oilers after he was offered a 5 x 5 contract. 

As a Habs fan I like this move, I think the Tar Sands would hv been better with Ron Francis lollll

GMs and coaches are the one area where a team can freely spend on talent, with no cap restrictions. I think many teams (though not the Leafs) are hesitant to "go big", though. If your choice doesn't work out, you can simply buy out the contract and move on. It's only money, and not THAT much money in the context of the total team budgets.

2 hours ago, ehjay said:

As a Habs fan I like this move, I think the Tar Sands would hv been better with Ron Francis lollll

Francis is still technically a minority owner of the Hurricanes for a few more months from what I understand which is part of the reason he hasn't come up in any GM search.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Ken Holland is expected to be named GM of the Oilers after he was offered a 5 x 5 contract. 

Well, that would likely be the best non-player personnel acquisition they have in at least a decade, I expect Holland will right that ship in ways no one before him could figure out, the man is a brilliant GM really.

3 hours ago, Link67 said:

Well, that would likely be the best non-player personnel acquisition they have in at least a decade, I expect Holland will right that ship in ways no one before him could figure out, the man is a brilliant GM really.

My own guess is that his rep for genius is exaggerated. He got really lucky in drafting two franchise cornerstones at #190 and #224 (or thereabouts) in the draft and basically feasted off that for 15 years. Notice that once those guys got old, the Wings ground into mediocrity. Now I'm not saying he's not a good Gm and that he won't turn Edmonton - at long last - into a truly well-run operation. He will. But he was at least as lucky as he was good in Detroit.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

My own guess is that his rep for genius is exaggerated. He got really lucky in drafting two franchise cornerstones at #190 and #224 (or thereabouts) in the draft and basically feasted off that for 15 years. Notice that once those guys got old, the Wings ground into mediocrity. Now I'm not saying he's not a good Gm and that he won't turn Edmonton - at long last - into a truly well-run operation. He will. But he was at least as lucky as he was good in Detroit.

Tambellini, MacTavish, Chiarelli ... the bar is pretty low for a post-Sather GM to be considered "good" in Edmonton.

5 hours ago, Link67 said:

Detroit's salary cap situation disagrees that he's a genius right now. 

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Detroit's salary cap situation disagrees that he's a genius right now. 

He's no genius, every GM is capable of mistakes, but he is among the top of his class, and no GM can be lucky enough to keep a championship caliber team for over a decade without some pretty good skills at his craft. Now did he string his team along for too long when his main catalysts were starting to fade? Of course, i'm sure if you talked to him he would admit the same, but he learned something from that I am sure. If he could do it again I bet he pulls the plug and goes into rebuild mode right around when Babcock's contract was expiring and Datsyuk and Zetterberg were on the edge of the twilight zone. Instead of being forced into a rebuild now like they are with little to show for. Still, they were lucky enough, if you want to call it that, to add guys like Larkin and Mantha to their young core moving forward. 

He still remains the most qualified and competent exec that team has hired in quite some time. I expect to see him do like he did in Detroit, surround himself with good hockey guys, take this roster to new heights, draft well, hire well, and be a big factor in whether they finally jump the hurdle and start turning into a championship caliber team themselves. Is he slightly overrated because of the success in Detroit? Surely, never as good as your best, and never as bad as your worst, but that is still one hell of an upgrade for the Edmonton organization.

• dlbalr unpinned this topic