2018-19 NHL General Discussion Thread

dlbalr

On 5/5/2019 at 8:47 PM, Commandant said:

Detroit's salary cap situation disagrees that he's a genius right now. 

Word is Holland's hands were a bit tied by Mike Ilitch's desire to see a competitive team no matter what. What Holland has done since Ilitch's death (and the supposed competitive pressure dying with him) has been pretty good:

Tomas Jurco for a 3rd

Brendan Smith for 2nd and 3rd

Vanek for Dylan McIlrath and a 3rd

Steve Ott for a 6th <_<

Riley Sheahan and a 5th for Scott Wilson and a 3rd (then traded Scott Wilson for a 5th, so basically Sheahan for a 3rd)

Mrazek for a 3rd

Tatar for a 1st, 2nd, and a 3rd

Nick Jensen and 5th for Madison Bowey and a 2nd

Gustav Nyquist for a 2nd and a 3rd (that could become another 2nd)

And ya he hands out NTC's so willingly that it's probably what he gives to kids for Halloween, but most of those bad deals happened in the Ilitch Era. Holland has done a pretty damn good job of pulling the team out of Cap Hell and somehow managed to accumulate 31 draft picks in the 3 years GMs would have been throwing him anchors instead of life jackets. 

If Edmonton is looking for a quick retool while navigating Cap Hell, Holland appears to be the man for the job. 

• Upvote 1

The contracts for Nilsson, Helm, abdelkader, daley, dekeyser, glendening  and a few others seem to show the same issues the oilers had under chiarelli with lucic, russell, sekerja, etc...

And the fact is that not all of those were while illitch was still alive.

10 hours ago, Trizzak said:

And ya he hands out NTC's so willingly that it's probably what he gives to kids for Halloween,

:lol:

• Like 1

19 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Francis is still technically a minority owner of the Hurricanes for a few more months from what I understand which is part of the reason he hasn't come up in any GM search.

Wow!!! Good on RF to have stake in a NHL team! :o

I don't deny that Holland is a good GM. In particular, no matter how ridiculously lucky he was with Zetterberg and Datsyuk, he oversaw an operation that was widely admired as a class act and a paragon of capable administering.

Being a GM is about more than hockey moves. It's also about establishing organizational practices and organizational culture. Remember Bob Gainey? His hockey moves were hit and miss, but his leadership probably did more than anything else to re-establish the Habs as a respected organization off the ice as well as on. I think Holland will do that for EDM, ending the circus there and make the Oilers a well--run operation from top to bottom. But I am not as confident that his hockey moves as such will be markedly better than those of the average GM. Luck is luck; it tends to run out. There probably aren't more ridiculously fortunate Zetterberg-type strikes in his future.

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

Late in March, Eugene Melnyk criticized Toronto's team building strategy, stating that "somebody forgot about defence".  Today, Ottawa hired the guy that was in charge of Toronto's defence as their new head coach.

14 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Late in March, Eugene Melnyk criticized Toronto's team building strategy, stating that "somebody forgot about defence".  Today, Ottawa hired the guy that was in charge of Toronto's defence as their new head coach.

I was really surprised that Melnyck didn't hire Roy. That would have been a marketing coup, and Roy *did* have one great season behind the bench in Denver. So what happenec? One answer is that Melnyck soberly identified Roy as a powder-keg whose ego would eventually lead to immolation, just as it did in Colorado - the last thing that market needs is yet another circus. Another answer is that Melnyck wanted a coach on the cheap. 

8 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I was really surprised that Melnyck didn't hire Roy. That would have been a marketing coup, and Roy *did* have one great season behind the bench in Denver. So what happenec? One answer is that Melnyck soberly identified Roy as a powder-keg whose ego would eventually lead to immolation, just as it did in Colorado - the last thing that market needs is yet another circus. Another answer is that Melnyck wanted a coach on the cheap. 

Roy had one winning season behind the bench in Denver.  I'm not sure it was great.  Many called his team to greatly fall off and said the success they had that year was based on a combo of unsustainable shooting percentage and save percentage combined all at once for 70 or so games. His teams were buried in analytics every year in colorado, and got worse and worse each year.  In other words, he wasn't a good NHL coach. 

That said, he's more expensive than D.J. Smith.

11 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Another answer is that Melnyck wanted a coach on the cheap. 

I think that's the correct one.  If you look at their seven candidates, he's probably the one that comes the cheapest.  :money:

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Skinner stays in Buffalo, 8 years, 9 million.

I know goal scorers get money, but oof that contract could look bad as early as right now.

Crazy money for 30+ goals and 50-60 points player. 

So this means Panarin will get max money?

10 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Skinner stays in Buffalo, 8 years, 9 million.

I know goal scorers get money, but oof that contract could look bad as early as right now.

I think you're being generous there.  Could look bad?  That deal looks terrible already.

39 minutes ago, Habber31 said:

This is why I don't want Duchene. He's getting that kind of term and money too

Almost all big name UFAs are an overpay. That's just a fact. And this is why I tend to prefer that we swing for the fences on a genuine potential game-changer like Karlsson than a very good, but not transformative, player like Duchene. If you're gonna overpay, it should be for someone irreplaceable like Karlsson.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Habber31 said:

This is why I don't want Duchene. He's getting that kind of term and money too

He has a better track record to justify that contract and plays more of a premium position as well.  Skinner had a hot few months and then struggled badly in the second half of the season.  For all of his flaws, Duchene is much more stable of a player than Skinner.

6 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

5.5 for 5 is crazy. What a deal for the isles.

This is the guy who had all of 37pts last year and has averaged 49pts over last 3 years (and at 29 i doubt his game will improve from here on out)? Drouin did better even when his offense cratered in the 2nd half and majority of HabFans seem to just want him gone.

23 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I think that would be a big mistake given their ages and the way Eberle's point totals have gone. 

I agree with their ages, but Eberle was a key part of the Islanders playoffs and has been a consistent point producer, besides this season. 

Drouin's hockey IQ is an issue. He was a costly player this past season. 

51 minutes ago, DON said:

This is the guy who had all of 37pts last year and has averaged 49pts over last 3 years (and at 29 i doubt his game will improve from here on out)? Drouin did better even when his offense cratered in the 2nd half and majority of HabFans seem to just want him gone.

Eberle is a career .71ppg and Drouin is .60ppg

• dlbalr unpinned this topic