Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
dlbalr

2018-19 NHL General Discussion Thread

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, DON said:

Galchenyuk just 17% on FO yesterday. Uggg, but 6pts in 8gms is pretty good start.

 

41.6% for the season, about the same as Domi and Kotkaniemi. Galchenyuk has much more experience at C so should theoretically be able to do better on face-offs. But he was in the mid-40s for us, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Galy appears, from a distance at least, to be for Arizona exactly what he was for us - an offensively productive C with faceoff 'issues.' The difference is that Arizona is less motivated to irrationally ignore his strengths and obsess over his limitations (at least so far). I don't know how his play has been away from the puck, however.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Galy appears, from a distance at least, to be for Arizona exactly what he was for us - an offensively productive C with faceoff 'issues.' The difference is that Arizona is less motivated to irrationally ignore his strengths and obsess over his limitations (at least so far). I don't know how his play has been away from the puck, however.

Chucky in Arizona will never take over a game. Despite stats, intensity and drive were never part of Chucky's toolset.

 

I don't care much about what Arizona wants in a player, all I care about is for the CH to become a cup-contending team. The reason I felt compelled to reply is because I do not believe Chucky's talents were irrationally ignored: I think he never lived up to the expectation out of a third pick overall

Edited by alfredoh2009
changed answer for reply

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no issues with the faceoffs which i see as overrated.

 

However play in the defensive end... domi is much, much better.

 

As long as they are close in production (and right now domi is ahead even on a per game basis)... and domi is the more valuable player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Hey all.  I haven't been here in a while but I'm getting tired of HF and this community is smaller and far more reasonable and polite so expect to hear from me far more from now on.

 

On another note, I just completed a new Habs tribute video.  I would have placed this in a multimedia thread but I couldn't find one.

 

 

 

Video Description: Part One is a introduction to some sad dark days with the ending of the 2017 season at the hands of the Rangers. I could have utilized footage from 2018 but it seemed more fitting to recall a playoff exit and not random games from last season.

 

Part Two is the Habs coming back to life and the restoration of hope. It underscores only the new players coming in this season.

 

Part Three is random goals and footage featuring some of the current players.

 

Part Four is team business, the team goofing around and media events prepping for the future with behind the scenes from the home opener.

 

Part Five is a tip of the hat to the storied franchise of 24 championships and legends. There was going to be a part 5 with this years lineup with the Montreal Public Address Announcer introducing the players but the introductions were inaudible. I tried and tried and surrendered. Due to time constraints and lack of footage and condensing material, not all players &/or moments are recognized so please keep the criticisms low. If your favourite player is not featured - TOO BAD! This took me days to produce and there's always some rotten person criticizing minute details even when the production of a whole is awesome. Well, I think it is even if I am blowing my own horn.

 

Enjoy.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Broken foot for Vasilevskiy... Good for the Atlantic division teams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

Broken foot for Vasilevskiy... Good for the Atlantic division teams.

Too bad, but am sure Tampa will do fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They'll need to tight it up on defense, cuz  Louis Domingue is no Vasilevskiy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/13/2018 at 1:08 PM, Athlétique.Canadien said:

 Hey all.  I haven't been here in a while but I'm getting tired of HF and this community is smaller and far more reasonable and polite so expect to hear from me far more from now on.

 

On another note, I just completed a new Habs tribute video.  I would have placed this in a multimedia thread but I couldn't find one.

 

 

Welcome back.  We used to have a multimedia thread ages ago but it was used so sporadically that it was basically left for dead. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/6/2018 at 10:43 AM, dlbalr said:

Just when you thought things couldn't get more embarrassing in Ottawa,  several players were caught on video badmouthing a coach while Matt Duchene boasted that he doesn't pay attention in team meetings.  What's next?  https://ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/ottawa-senators/candid-camera-ottawa-senators-players-caught-on-video-joking-about-team-badmouthing-coach

 

 

What's next appears to be a troll campaign on Twitter that is designed to criticize Ottawa's media coverage for their handling of the Uber fiasco while praising Eugene Melnyk (who had nothing to do with that particular incident).  https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/how-a-collection-of-apparently-fake-twitter-accounts-launched-a-troll-campaign-to-support-the-ottawa-senators

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, dlbalr said:

 

What's next appears to be a troll campaign on Twitter that is designed to criticize Ottawa's media coverage for their handling of the Uber fiasco while praising Eugene Melnyk (who had nothing to do with that particular incident).  https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/how-a-collection-of-apparently-fake-twitter-accounts-launched-a-troll-campaign-to-support-the-ottawa-senators

 

The Sens are the gift that keeps on giving.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Neech said:

 

The Sens are the gift that keeps on giving.

LOL! Good one!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tough day for coaches.  Mike Yeo was let go after St. Louis lost to the Kings (Craig Berube is the interim replacement) while Todd McLellan in Edmonton was just fired, replaced by Ken Hitchcock.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Tough day for coaches.  Mike Yeo was let go after St. Louis lost to the Kings (Craig Berube is the interim replacement) while Todd McLellan in Edmonton was just fired, replaced by Ken Hitchcock.

Why would they hire Hitchcock 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

Why would they hire Hitchcock 

 

What's wrong with Hitchcock?

 

Personally, I always liked Marc Crawford, but I guess the Senators stench is just too strong to wash off him at this point

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

Why would they hire Hitchcock 

 

They're looking for short-term results as if they don't make the playoffs, Chiarelli is heading out the door.  Hitchcock will give them some stability and a different style of play and if it still doesn't work, then whoever takes over as GM will get to pick a new coach and probably blow up the roster somewhat.

 

7 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Personally, I always liked Marc Crawford, but I guess the Senators stench is just too strong to wash off him at this point

 

 

It's rare that an assistant coach would leave to take an opportunity midseason.  Teams usually don't give permission to interview in those situations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

 

What's wrong with Hitchcock?

 

Personally, I always liked Marc Crawford, but I guess the Senators stench is just too strong to wash off him at this point

 

Hitchcock is not the coach i would want if im building my team around connor mcdavid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Commandant said:

 

Hitchcock is not the coach i would want if im building my team around connor mcdavid

Me either.

 

He might be fine in a short stint, but he's not the guy I would have targeted 

 

Chiarelli should have been the one that got fired

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, the Oil can't win with run and gun. Maybe Hitchcock's coming in and establishing a strong defensive structure will help Talbot be an NHL goalie and provide a better platform for McDavid to have success.

 

That Hitchcock is only there short-term may indicate that Chiarelli wants new input on the dressing room dynamics and will make decisions based on that.

 

Finally: consider that MB pushed hard to get Lucic's services and failed only because that gorilla could not imagine himself in the CH. Just think about that. :blink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, dlbalr said:

 

 

It's rare that an assistant coach would leave to take an opportunity midseason.  Teams usually don't give permission to interview in those situations.

 

Yeah, I know. I have this thing where I feel Crawford is chronically overlooked, so I tend to bring him up whenever coaching vacancies arise. Used to hear him regularly on the radio and liked his insights. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where is Quennville going to end up? St. Louis?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, DON said:

Where is Quennville going to end up? St. Louis?

Pittsburgh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hitchcock is in Edmonton for the season, that's it.

Unless some Cup run happens, Chiarelli will be out and the new GM can bring in his hand picked coach.

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, so Patrik Laine actually singlehandedly outscored the entire Canadiens team with 11 goals last week.  What a beast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...