Cale Fleury Signs Entry Level Deal

Commandant

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

His contract is also a one year entry level slide.

I don't believe that's actually the case even though he is 19.  Here's why (pulled from my write-up on the site):

Although he is 19, Fleury’s contract should not qualify to slide a year.  Section 9.1(d)(1) of the CBA reads as follows (emphasis is mine):

In the event that an 18 year old or 19 year old Player signs an SPC with a Club but does not play at least ten (10) NHL Games in the first season under that SPC, the term of his SPC and his number of years in the Entry Level System shall be extended for a period of one (1) year, except that this automatic extension will not apply to a Player who is 19 according to Section 9.2 by virtue of turning 20 between September 16 and December 31 in the year in which he first signs an SPC.

(Section 9.2 mentions that September 15th is the date used to determine players’ age for the purposes of signing a contract.)

As Fleury turns 20 between September 16 and December 31 in the year he signed and is 19 under the Section 9.2 definition for determining his age, he falls into the category where the automatic extension does not apply.  This differs from Nikita Scherbak (a December 30 birthdate) as Scherbak signed at 18, not 19.  Same with Brett Lernout (September 24) as he signed at 18, not 19 which allowed for the slide.

10 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Cap.friendly had it as a slide candidate before he signed but i see that is off now.

They've been slipping lately. They were wrong on Tatar having no NTC when he said he waived to goto Montreal. I won't hold it against them, they do good work and I'm worried that if the people who run it get scooped up like almost every other site like it, we'll be back to using NHLnumbers. 

Contract details:

2018-19: $650,000 base salary, $92,500 signing bonus, $182,500 performance bonus (GP), $70,000 AHL salary

2019-20: $700,000 base salary, $92,500 signing bonus, $132,500 performance bonus (GP), $70,000 AHL salary

2020-21: $700,000 base salary, $80,000 signing bonus, $20,000 performance bonus (GP?), $70,000 AHL salary

I'm not sure about the 2020-21 bonus as that amount is below their typical GP-based bonus structure (usually based in increments of $25,000).