2018/19 Laval Rocket General Discussion Thread

dlbalr

With Laval's season set to get underway tomorrow, it's time to get the regular season thread going.  We'll use this thread for any general news and notes around the team as well as the AHL/ECHL in general.

On the ECHL front, the Canadiens do not have a specific affiliate this season after Brampton (rightfully) dropped them to partner up with Ottawa.  As a result, Laval will have players with several teams in 2018-19.  They will have a working arrangement with Maine (the Rangers' affiliate) to send a few players there.  However, three of their potential ECHL-bound players are tied to specific teams around the league after being qualified and placed on protected lists.  Those are:

G Etienne Marcoux (Indy)

F Phelix Martineau (Fort Wayne)

D T.J. Melancon (Norfolk)

Even though those players are now under contract to Laval, they'll have to report to that specific ECHL team if and when they're sent down.

RDS is once again showing quite a few Laval home games - 18 in total this season.  The TV schedule can be found here.

Unlike last year, Laval doesn't have a surplus of veteran players just yet which is nice.  Here's the rule in case it comes up during the season:

A maximum of five skaters with 320 career professional games* played (as of the start of the season) can dress per night.  Teams can also dress an additional skater with between 260-319 professional GP as a sixth veteran (more than one in this group can play if there are fewer than five veterans with 320+ GP).

*Qualifying leagues towards the veteran GP calculation: NHL, AHL, NLA, Czech Extraliga, Slovak Extraliga, KHL, SHL, SM-liiga, and DEL. Only regular season games count towards the calculation.

• dlbalr pinned this topic

Five players have been cut - T.J. Melancon goes to Norfolk, Phelix Martineau is off to Fort Wayne, while Antoine Waked, Ryan Culkin, and Morgan Adams-Moisan are going to Maine of the ECHL.  Surprisingly, they're still carrying three goalies.

On 10/10/2018 at 8:06 PM, dlbalr said:

I guess he wasn't as willing to start in the minors as he claimed to be...  Laval now has a veteran slot to work with; it'll be interesting to see if they find someone to use that on in the coming days/weeks.

Deslauriers?

9 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Deslauriers?

Certainly a possibility.  (Although I'm not sure he'd get a lot of playing time based on the current depth chart...)  Had de la Rose made it through unclaimed, he'd have essentially taken that last slot as a 260-319 pro GP player (since SHL games count).

I liked how McCarron playeid yesterday. His skating has definitely improved.

I think it is smart to use him on the PK.

Fleury looked shaky, and Agostino looked like the best forward to me

Go Rocket Go!

Go Habs Go!

A couple of recent roster moves:

- Etienne Marcoux was assigned to Indy (ECHL) but his rights were subsequently dealt to Brampton so the Rocket will have someone with the Beast after all this year.

- Michael Pezzetta was sent to Maine (ECHL).

Jeremiah Addison isn't even on the road trip and isn't injured which is a little odd.  He has yet to play this season.

On 10/28/2018 at 5:25 PM, Trizzak said:

Can Scherbak take a conditioning stint in Laval to prove to his own NHL coach and other teams' GMs that he can actually play?

On 10/28/2018 at 6:23 PM, dlbalr said:

Yep.  It can last for up to two weeks.

RG0BS1U.gif

1 hour ago, Habopotamus said:

Worst start for a Habs farm team in 20 years 

Even so, I'm more optimistic for their chances than I was a year ago when they were among the top teams in the league in the first few weeks (when they were scoring like crazy but were woeful defensively as well).  They've been the better team in almost every game so far and their defence is holding up.  The benefits of that should come soon enough.

Jeremiah Addison is off to Brampton where he'll hopefully get some regular minutes after missing the first month of the season.

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Even so, I'm more optimistic for their chances than I was a year ago when they were among the top teams in the league in the first few weeks (when they were scoring like crazy but were woeful defensively as well).  They've been the better team in almost every game so far and their defence is holding up.  The benefits of that should come soon enough.

Jeremiah Addison is off to Brampton where he'll hopefully get some regular minutes after missing the first month of the season.

I don't watch them,  but i did read they're piling up scoring chances every game 

21 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I'm starting to doubt if Lindgren can be an NHL goalie (even a backup). 

He's not exactly inspiring a lot of confidence thus far.  Re-signing Niemi for this season is looking like a great move now.  There's still time for him to turn it around though, especially if the defence holds up and doesn't go back to allowing 35+ shots a night routinely.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Not who I wanted recalled (Evans), but not unexpected:

Chaput recalled

Leads Rocket in scoring, has 135 NHL games (17pts) experience and am OK holding back Evans till later in year. At NHL speed he really got crushed in pre-season.

• dlbalr unpinned this topic