2018/19 Laval Rocket General Discussion Thread

dlbalr

21 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Ryan Sproul was released from his PTO deal.  I haven't the slightest clue why as he was a more than competent depth option and they still have veteran slots available with Chaput/Agostino up.

Could Mete be headed down?

I guess Mete has been demoted already...missed the news.

Edited by DON
outdated proposal

Laval signs Simon Despres to a PTO deal.  Louis Jean of TVA Sports suggests that Despres intends to play at the Spengler Cup so this appears to simply be an opportunity to get into playing shape over actually helping Laval out.

Michael McNiven has been sent to ECHL Brampton which is something that needed to happen a while ago.  It's clear Bouchard has no confidence in him so they may as well give him some playing time.  Etienne Marcoux has been recalled to the Rocket.

Moravcik has a European Assignment Clause in his deal - I wonder if this will make him trigger it?  The logjam of d-men is a short-term one with Despres only around for a couple of weeks and Mete eventually getting recalled but even so, he may want to head home over being a fringe guy in the AHL.

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Interesting to see they have not given up on Lernout yet. He may be progressing a bi (? I don't know)

Fleury may be ready to play

I wouldn't say he's progressing but he is a capable stay-at-home defenceman in the minors.  He's definitely in their top six.

I like having that type of defender at the AHL level, mynthinking is that it would help a freewheeling LD develop if paired with.

But I would really be happy if Lernout would improve enough to be a solid bottom pair RD for us and replace a Benn or Schlemko down the road.

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

But I would really be happy if Lernout would improve enough to be a solid bottom pair RD for us and replace a Benn or Schlemko down the road.

I've pretty much written off Lernout as NHL material beyond being a passable #6 on a recall (and he's okay in that role).  He's too limited of a player to be more than that.

In other news...

• 2 weeks later...

Don't be surprised if Laval signs a goalie to a PTO in the next few days.  If memory serves, Price's wife is supposed to be due to give birth any day now so he may not be with the team coming out of the Christmas break depending on when it happens.  In that case, McNiven would have to come up and Laval would need another goalie.

On 12/24/2018 at 11:02 AM, dlbalr said:

Don't be surprised if Laval signs a goalie to a PTO in the next few days.  If memory serves, Price's wife is supposed to be due to give birth any day now so he may not be with the team coming out of the Christmas break depending on when it happens.  In that case, McNiven would have to come up and Laval would need another goalie.

Well, I was wrong.  They signed two goalies.  Kevin Bailie has signed a PTO for today while Connor LaCouvee, who played three games with Utica last month, has signed a PTO starting tomorrow.

On 12/27/2018 at 6:57 PM, dlbalr said:

Well, I was wrong.  They signed two goalies.  Kevin Bailie has signed a PTO for today while Connor LaCouvee, who played three games with Utica last month, has signed a PTO starting tomorrow.

LaCouvee and Bailie are 24 and 26 respectively. Bailie comes straight from Queens (has not played this season) while LaCouvee has spent most of this fall with Maine in the ECHL after four years with Boston and Minnesota in the NCAA.

A low risk to try out the two. Hopefully at least one of them works out.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

LaCouvee and Bailie are 24 and 26 respectively. Bailie comes straight from Queens (has not played this season) while LaCouvee has spent most of this fall with Maine in the ECHL after four years with Boston and Minnesota in the NCAA.

A low risk to try out the two. Hopefully at least one of them works out.

Bailie was already released (he was brought in just for the Belleville game as a local fill-in).

• 2 weeks later...

The Habs have quietly sent Karl Alzner back to Laval.  (I say quietly as they didn't even bother announcing it.)  He won't join the team on the current road trip, however.  He has two days left of waiver exemption before he'll need to clear again so this move extends the re-waive date for a bit. 

On 1/26/2019 at 6:22 PM, dlbalr said:

The forward depth gets even thinner although Waked missing time is no big loss.

I don't know what MB will do at the trade deadline. He  could get beef up  the forward situation in Laval which seems to be held together by duct tape and baling wire. You might be surprised if they added some scoring up there.

• dlbalr unpinned this topic