Game #2 Oct. 6, 7:00 Montreal vs Pittsburgh

DON

29 minutes ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

Granted Byron has three points, but Domi has looked like the best forward tonight. Just smooth with the puck.

Defensively, Juulsen has looked best. Nothing fancy, just smart and tough. (Learning from Weber?)

This team is full effort, they’re much better than most of you believed! 

Indeed,

Feels good man.

Hudon's goal should help his cause.  It was looking like he'd be the first one to come out of the lineup but that should help keep him in for now.

It was interesting to see the line blender come out for the 3rd.  Julien was comfortable enough with the lead to start mixing and matching players for a shift or two.

After a shaky game in Toronto, Petry was a beast tonight. 

Reilly continues to look like a top 4 Dman. 

Mete and Juulsen both were very effective at moving the puck up the ice and out of our zone quickly. 

Benn had a solid game.  I'm starting to become convinced that this guy is a third pairing D when he plays on the Right Side, and an ECHL player on the Left Side (which is WEIRD AS HELL, cause he's left handed).

Ouellet was decent. 

Overall a good performance from the D corps.

• Upvote 1

I swear that Bob Cole referred to 'Kotkaniemilemi' at one point...what the hey, throw enough syllables, one of 'em is bound to be right :lol:

Terrific team effort by what is emerging as a very likeable, quality team. That said, Pittsburgh really seems not to have shown up. I'm not sure what's up with them.

10 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I swear that Bob Cole referred to 'Kotkaniemilemi' at one point...what the hey, throw enough syllables, one of 'em is bound to be right :lol:

Terrific team effort by what is emerging as a very likeable, quality team. That said, Pittsburgh really seems not to have shown up. I'm not sure what's up with them.

Engels heard it too.

21 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Reilly continues to look like a top 4 Dman. 

He's playing with a lot more confidence. You can see him decide, "#### it, I'm going" with a rush up the blue line, and it's been paying off.

We'll see how he (and the coach) reacts when he gets burned by a rush. Gotta shake it off and go right back to the big plays. 

23 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I'm gonna miss that beautiful voice.

50 minutes ago, DON said:

Next game isnt till thursday? I guess they need a break after long roadtrip.:flaming:

Fun game, Benn has played solid and Domi looks good.

How about that play where Benn handled Malkin one on one! It was hockey in Bizarro World.

5 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Hudon's goal should help his cause.  It was looking like he'd be the first one to come out of the lineup but that should help keep him in for now.

It was interesting to see the line blender come out for the 3rd.  Julien was comfortable enough with the lead to start mixing and matching players for a shift or two.

I feel like there is something going on behind the scenes with Hudon. 

I missed most of the game. How was Drouin? 

31 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

I feel like there is something going on behind the scenes with Hudon. 

I missed most of the game. How was Drouin? 

Better than against the leafs... but still not good.

12 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

Coconut Miami didn't look as good as last game I thought.  I missed the first though. 

I agree.  He took a couple of bad penalties and wasn't all that noticeable in the offensive end.  There are going to be games like that though.

1 hour ago, DON said:

Gallagher drew another penalty.

Refs on pace to call 82 minors for Gallagher and zero against.

Myth busted yet?:spamafote:

Not even close.  Wait until he gets pummeled in a scrum a few times and let's see if there are calls made then.  Those are the ones that typically don't get called, not stick infractions like a hooking call with less than two minutes to go in a four-goal game.

I thought Julien made a mistake last night and not letting kotkaniemi get some quality minutes in against two studs In Crosby/Malkin. Instead he shielded the kid while up 4-0 in the 2nd. And even gave Drouin a shift at Center between Armia and Lehkonan resulting in the only goal against... I had no problems with him tinkering with line up while up for strategic reasons in the future but he should of gave kotkaniemi more minutes in the process...

2 hours ago, DON said:

Gallagher drew another penalty.

Refs on pace to call 82 minors for Gallagher and zero against.

Myth busted yet?:spamafote:

I noticed that too. I'm wondering if Gallagher has learned to tone down his act a little - and also whether he has now moved into 'respected veteran' territory, which gets him a little more leeway from the refs? But maybe dlbalr is right and this is just a mirage.

10 hours ago, Metallica said:

Luck Richardson for MVP , great job coaching the D.

This is a perceptive remark. The primary factor is actually that Price is back to being Price, at least so far. But it remains true that the D, as a unit, has been perfectly competent (if not exactly hermetic) in their own end. Most of us didn't expect that, and Richardson may be a major contributor to welding a rag-and-bobtail bunch into a cohesive unit. Another under-heralded variable is Mete, quietly eating top-4 minutes. He seems a bit slower than last season (did he try to bulk up?) but also more mature and confident.

Paul Byron...what can you say. He da man!!

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Not even close.  Wait until he gets pummeled in a scrum a few times and let's see if there are calls made then.  Those are the ones that typically don't get called, not stick infractions like a hooking call with less than two minutes to go in a four-goal game.

Absolutely. He takes lumber directly to the back blatantly, and it gets ignored, because he is Gallagher. The flip side is that stuff gets ignored the other way as well. But supporting the ref respect argument, I don't think you can argue that refs ignore abuse against Gallagher regularly.

18 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

Absolutely. He takes lumber directly to the back blatantly, and it gets ignored, because he is Gallagher. The flip side is that stuff gets ignored the other way as well. But supporting the ref respect argument, I don't think you can argue that refs ignore abuse against Gallagher regularly.

But doesn't cross-checking and general hacking in the blue paint generally get ignored by the Mystery Codebook guiding NHL refereeing? In other words: is the problem that refs hate Gallagher, or that Gallagher is one of those rare guys who willingly spends most of his time in the high-punishment areas where refs generally swallow their whistles?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

But doesn't cross-checking and general hacking in the blue paint generally get ignored by the Mystery Codebook guiding NHL refereeing? In other words: is the problem that refs hate Gallagher, or that Gallagher is one of those rare guys who willingly spends most of his time in the high-punishment areas where refs generally swallow their whistles?

Ya that's a very good point.  I would need  to really watch for this. Does Gallagher take any more unpenalized back lumber than hornqvist?  Maybe not. 

As Commandant said, our blueline is looking pretty good and gives me hope for the future. These guys are only going to get better.

It was a welcome feeling while watching this to have hope! We actually have something to cheer for!

CJ has coached well so far and I really hope he gives all these young guys some rope to work through their mistakes. So far he is letting them play and not crushing them due to mistakes. They need instruction and support not a hammer and so far he is doing that.

If we continue to work like this game in and game out we are going to the playoffs.

Price has looked great.

Drouin continues to be a lazy turd and his shtick of trying to deke out the entire team over and over is old.  We lost that trade in a big way.

It's only game 2 but I think the Habs are back

Montreal walked into one of the toughest arenas to play in and totally neutralized the Penguin's lethal offence. They are outworking and outsmarting their opposition so far this season. It's only two games in, but you have to give credit to Julien to adjusting his strategy and to Bergevin for getting players committed to playing that way. 

• Like 1