Domi > Galchenyuk

4 hours ago, Scott462 said:

24 points from Domi after the first 20 games.

Read on tsn that the last player to get 24+ points in the first 20 games for the habs was Odie Clegghorn in 18-19...  100 years ago.

8 hours ago, Dalhabs said:

Read on tsn that the last player to get 24+ points in the first 20 games for the habs was Odie Clegghorn in 18-19...  100 years ago.

Yeah I did see that but I think it was corrected that it’s only for new Habs players. So basically rookies or players brought over in a trade.

Still amazing stat, Max making new records already.

Was in Montreal two weeks ago an saw the Buffalo game at the Bell and I haven’t been this excited by Habs player since Kovalev.

Max Domi is working hard, and seems to be at the right place at the right time.

My new favourite Hab!

Also Drouin is showing a more and more mature game!

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/26/2018 at 9:43 AM, dlbalr said:

They dealt a centre in Strome as part of the deal for Schmaltz so it shouldn't affect Galchenyuk's status.

Galchenyuk has in fact been moved to the wing. He's been playing on Schmaltz's wing since the trade. Maybe we can finally, finally put the Galchenyuk at C debate to rest. 

1 hour ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Galchenyuk has in fact been moved to the wing. He's been playing on Schmaltz's wing since the trade. Maybe we can finally, finally put the Galchenyuk at C debate to rest. 

Yes, the peanut gallery who wouldn't shut up about him not being allowed to play centre are way too silent and should be eating crow.:popcorn:

1 hour ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

He couldn't prove himself at center over 6 seasons for an organization that was practically crying for one for the better part of this millennium. That's how dumb some people thought Habs management were. 

On 12/11/2018 at 1:08 PM, DON said:

Yes, the peanut gallery who wouldn't shut up about him not being allowed to play centre are way too silent and should be eating crow.:popcorn:

I'm 1 of them ppl. :( but in all fairness I don't think any1 saw how good Domi was going to be for the Team this year. If Chuky is on the wing on top of it, well I have made stew with the bones too :D

Galchenyuk has missed his 3 straight game with LBI.... Rough go in Arizona. 

I hated how the whole Galchenyuk situation went down. Him playing 4th line in the playoffs was a joke. That's not going to get the best out of a player, it was more Julien slapping him on the wrist... I understand he could be frustrating at times, but that's a 30 goal scorer, on a team that was eliminated from the playoffs because they couldn't score goals. Centre or not, this kid was in the dog house. 

Galchenyuk scored 30 goals his first full year at centre and then put up 24 points in his first 24 games the following season; before a significant knee injury....People had a right to be frustrated with how that whole situation was handled. 

Arizona has more depth at centre, so it's more understandable that he moves to wing. Montreal had NOTHING of substance at centre.  I can also almost guarantee that at some point in time he'll be back down the middle. 

45 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

Arizona has more depth at centre, so it's more understandable that he moves to wing. Montreal had NOTHING of substance at centre.  I can also almost guarantee that at some point in time he'll be back down the middle.

I wouldn't necessarily say that.  Their current four centres are Derek Stepan, Nick Schmaltz, Brad Richardson, and Mario Kempe.  Basically, it came down to him not beating out Schmaltz (who isn't all that great down the middle which was part of the reason that Chicago gave up on him) for a top six centre spot.  They may ultimately try Galchenyuk there again at some point but the same issues appear to be creeping up that prevented him from holding down a full-time centre spot with the Habs.

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I wouldn't necessarily say that.  Their current four centres are Derek Stepan, Nick Schmaltz, Brad Richardson, and Mario Kempe.  Basically, it came down to him not beating out Schmaltz (who isn't all that great down the middle which was part of the reason that Chicago gave up on him) for a top six centre spot.  They may ultimately try Galchenyuk there again at some point but the same issues appear to be creeping up that prevented him from holding down a full-time centre spot with the Habs.

We'll I'd take Schmaltz and stepan over last years Danault and Plekanec 

Schmaltz has 9pts in 9 games. Not looking too bad 

3 hours ago, Habopotamus said:

We'll I'd take Schmaltz and stepan over last years Danault and Plekanec 

Schmaltz has 9pts in 9 games. Not looking too bad 

He couldn't stay at center with the Montreal "we need anybody with a pulse to play center" Canadiens for 6 years...and now he can't get a spot there with the Arizona "just happy to be in the league" Coyotes.

Your point is that Stepan and Schmaltz are better at center, therefore it is okay he is on the wing, how is that even a good thing for Galchenyuk and whatever your argument is? Stepan and Schultz.....

In other news, Max Domi continues to rip it up for the Habs who are off to a surprising start with their #1 center leading the way

8 minutes ago, illWill said:

He couldn't stay at center with the Montreal "we need anybody with a pulse to play center" Canadiens for 6 years...and now he can't get a spot there with the Arizona "just happy to be in the league" Coyotes.

Your point is that Stepan and Schmaltz are better at center, therefore it is okay he is on the wing, how is that even a good thing for Galchenyuk and whatever your argument is? Stepan and Schultz.....

In other news, Max Domi continues to rip it up for the Habs who are off to a surprising start with their #1 center leading the way

Seriously, I started this thread and even I have lost interest in the 'Galchenyuk centre' controversy.  This guy is on a different team now and I don't have the will to occupy my mind with old news.  Wish him the best of luck.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Habs owned the 70's said:

Seriously, I started this thread and even I have lost interest in the 'Galchenyuk centre' controversy.  This guy is on a different team now and I don't have the will to occupy my mind with old news.  Wish him the best of luck.

I didn't bring it up, but nice to rile everyone up

Domi might not have all the god-given talent of Chucky - although he seems to have a much better shot than I anticipated - but he's way less frustrating and clearly has a more well-rounded understanding of the game.  He seems to be the type of guy who lives for the energy of a hockey-mad market. Chucky appears to have a mild but permanent case of Andrei Kostitsyn syndrome - never quite fully engaging or driving the production of his line.  He still has a chance to be a solid point producer in this league, but if Domi is also producing he brings way more to the table.  

I watched some of the 2015 junior games and it was so clear then how good Domi could become.

His connection with Montreal when they were cheering his name seems like it was meant to be that he would eventually become a Montreal Canadien.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Scott462 said:

I watched some of the 2015 junior games and it was so clear then how good Domi could become.

His connection with Montreal when they were cheering his name seems like it was meant to be that he would eventually become a Montreal Canadien.

The name on jersey back then was enough for me to dislike him as a prospect.

• 1 month later...

Domi has slowed down from his early torrid pace, but honestly, he remains an upgrade. First, coaches feel they can actually play him at C. Right away that's a win. Second, he brings a much more complete game, including playmaking. And third, he hustles and competes every night. Unless Galy really pulls ahead of him offensively, we win that trade.

Bergevin used to drone on about 'attitude' - and his cluelessness on this was revealed when he prioritized trading Subban, who was definitely not the problem - but the real issue may have been that we had two key cogs whom we expected to be leaders driving the offence (Patches and Galy ) who were streaky, erratic players by nature. Guys like Domi and Tatar are not elite, but they are *reliable* and low-drama players who perform night in and night out. The result is a better overall team.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Domi has slowed down from his early torrid pace, but honestly, he remains an upgrade. First, coaches feel they can actually play him at C. Right away that's a win. Second, he brings a much more complete game, including playmaking. And third, he hustles and competes every night. Unless Galy really pulls ahead of him offensively, we win that trade.

Bergevin used to drone on about 'attitude' - and his cluelessness on this was revealed when he prioritized trading Subban, who was definitely not the problem - but the real issue may have been that we had two key cogs whom we expected to be leaders driving the offence (Patches and Galy ) who were streaky, erratic players by nature. Guys like Domi and Tatar are not elite, but they are *reliable* and low-drama players who perform night in and night out. The result is a better overall team.

Another post, another Subban reference, Habs must be on a losing streak. 

"They are reliable and low drama players who perform night in and night out. The result is a better overall team". 

That sounds sort of like the reason why I prefer Weber ?

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, illWill said:

Another post, another Subban reference, Habs must be on a losing streak. 

"They are reliable and low drama players who perform night in and night out. The result is a better overall team". 

That sounds sort of like the reason why I prefer Weber ?

The post wasn’t about Subban. But since you bring it up, PK came to play at a high level every night, which is why your claim is nonsense.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1