Oct. 15, Detroit vs Montreal, 7:30 PM

dlbalr

How’d you like those Armia dangles, Don? 

Lehkonen was slacking out there tonight.

0 points. 

Armia is actually really good in battles and stealing pucks away. He might not be an offensive juggernaut but he is capable.

Kotkaniemi gets his 2nd point tonight, it looks to me like he is just watching the play and trying to learn out there and by doing so kind of gets lost at times but the thing is with Kotkaniemi is once he has learned something all of a sudden he starts showing his skill. You can tell he’s just so damn smart but he’s learning which is actually a good thing.

Armia is just a winger version of Eller, he certainly is a useful hockey player, he cannot be relied upon to consistently produce at a top 6 rate however. If we establish his role/niche, and let him play his game, while expecting a 3rd line player capable of several flashes of brilliance throughout a season, we will all be happy to have him on the team.

I don't know why the pop shots at him, was anyone expecting the next Blake Wheeler or something? This is a big bodied 3rd line player with some hockey skills who can fill in on an offensive line from time to time. Double digit goals and 30 something points is about the max we can expect from him, and that is perfectly fine coming from the 3rd line.

• Upvote 3

I'd send Kotka back to Finland to get stronger, although without him around there's even less reason to watch this lineup on a given night.  Detroit happens to one of the few teams that has less top end forward talent, what a disaster.

Couldn't watch, but listened on radio. Very happy with result, and Pleky's 1000th; but most happy about how they won.

I think that they will send back Kotka after 9 games if he doesn't stand out more. If we get him and Poehling in the lineup at the end of the season, it will mean we would be on the path of a successful team reset

Edited by alfredoh2009

10 hours ago, Scott462 said:

Armia is actually really good in battles and stealing pucks away. He might not be an offensive juggernaut but he is capable.

Kotkaniemi gets his 2nd point tonight, it looks to me like he is just watching the play and trying to learn out there and by doing so kind of gets lost at times but the thing is with Kotkaniemi is once he has learned something all of a sudden he starts showing his skill. You can tell he’s just so damn smart but he’s learning which is actually a good thing.

Agreed, you can tell his hockey smarts when you watch him. Looks like he’s absorbing everything. I’m fine with him staying or going back to Finland at this point in time. Finland could be great for him to get that go-to guy mentality though. 

St Louis, Ottawa, Calgary, then Buffalo next thursday will be end of 9 game tryout.

Not sure if better for him to go back for 7 or 8 weeks and then play World Juniors or stay?

He looks so slim out there I am leaning towards him playing rest of fall in Finland and putting on some weight, looking towards next year being his rookie year.

15 minutes ago, DON said:

St Louis, Ottawa, Calgary, then Buffalo next thursday will be end of 9 game tryout.

Not sure if better for him to go back for 7 or 8 weeks and then play World Juniors or stay?

He looks so slim out there I am leaning towards him playing rest of fall in Finland and putting on some weight, looking towards next year being his rookie year.

Remember, they don't have to keep him up for nine games before making a decision.  They could make it now and have him play a few games at the end of the year once his season in Finland is done if they want to get him to nine.  To be honest, that would be my preferred route.