2018 Bergevin Appreciation Thread

illWill

13 hours ago, illWill said:

*Fire Lefebvre, check

*Address the center position, check

*Get younger and faster, check

This. We have nine points from six games (yes, only six games), most against highly-rated opposition, in spite of missing Weber, and getting only human goaltending.

And I like watching this team! It's not quite Guy Lafleur but I do love their speed ...

15 hours ago, illWill said:

I'm the first to admit that 6 games doesn't mean a whole lot. But regardless of how the team started we should take note of these things that most have wanted him to do for years: 

*Fire Lefebvre, check

*Address the center position, check

*Get younger and faster, check

Also keep in mind that their best defenseman has yet to step on the ice and Price hasn't exactly been lights out so far. Not to mention this team is operating with plenty of extra cap space and could potentially be better with the addition of a player or two. To me it is more important how this team is winning games, and not just that they are. I also think Julien deserves a lot of credit, but maybe I'll save that for a different appreciation thread. 

*Lefebvre should have been fired ages ago

*Our NHL centre depth is still among the worst in the league, we're evaluating by a different metric now that serious contention is far in the past

The problem with our cap situation is that in 2-3 years when those young C's should supposedly be entering their primes, we'll still be saddled with Alzner's deal, Shaw's, and wrong-side-of-30 Byron's. Who knows where Weber's health will be, and the millstone contract in goal will hamper us as well unless Price is consistently in his MVP form.  We have some major potential long term cap issues.

I'm with you on crediting Julien - he's redeeming himself in my eyes, and last season's disaster seems to be less his fault than it may have appeared.  I don't know if it'll be enough to take this roster anywhere but no man's land in the draft, however.  

Overall I agree that this last offseason was on the whole positive for Bergy, but that could all change if Chucky comes back and outproduces Domi.  The return for Patches was pleasantly surprising, but it's hard to say that about his other major moves.  Even if Bergy does some things right, I'm wary that he'll screw up again.

5 hours ago, Neech said:

The problem with our cap situation is that in 2-3 years

And who exactly will be on the roster in 3 years...almost a full year after Trump gets reelected?:tumbleweed:

7 hours ago, Neech said:

The problem with our cap situation is that in 2-3 years when those young C's should supposedly be entering their primes, we'll still be saddled with Alzner's deal, Shaw's, and wrong-side-of-30 Byron's. Who knows where Weber's health will be, and the millstone contract in goal will hamper us as well unless Price is consistently in his MVP form.  We have some major potential long term cap issues.

Actually, I was looking at the contract situation for the Seattle expansion draft year (2020). What Bergevin has don eis pretty smart:

1) there won't be a need to protect Mete, Juulsen, Moravcik and Sklenicka as they will be at the end of their contracts.

2) Schelemko will be coming off the books and Alzner can be left unprotected.

3) Weber (NMC), Petry (NMC) amd Reilly can be protected

4) Up-front Domi,  Peca, Evans, Vejdemo will be at the end of their contracts

5) Kotka and Suzuki will not need to be protected. This leaves lots of room for the five forwards to protect.

There is no risk of loosing the young centers, not the key Rearguards. Which is very good.

Next year, Hudon, Lehonen, Armia, Scherbak, Agostino and McCarron are up for a new contract. there is plenty of time to see if they are worth protecting and what term/money they would be getting.

I think that the Organization is very well positioned for the next 2-3 years. Byron and Shaw can be left unprotected

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Actually, I was looking at the contract situation for the Seattle expansion draft year (2020). What Bergevin has don eis pretty smart:

1) there won't be a need to protect Mete, Juulsen, Moravcik and Sklenicka as they will be at the end of their contracts.

5) Kotka and Suzuki will not need to be protected. This leaves lots of room for the five forwards to protect.

There is no risk of loosing the young centers, not the key Rearguards. Which is very good.

Next year, Hudon, Lehonen, Armia, Scherbak, Agostino and McCarron are up for a new contract. there is plenty of time to see if they are worth protecting and what term/money they would be getting.

I think that the Organization is very well positioned for the next 2-3 years. Byron and Shaw can be left unprotected

Rfas can still be lost in an expansion draft. I believe Mete and Juulsen will both have played enough games by then to need to be protected.

• Upvote 1

1) RFAs will need to be protected so he does need to protect them if he wants to keep them

4) again they are all RFAs, they will need to be protected if we want to keep them

• Upvote 1

Yes, RFAs need to be protected but none of them is an elite NHLer.

loosing any of them is the worst that can happen

MB is not tied down by too many bad contracts, and any ouf them (Shaw, Alzner) are manageable 

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

As others have mentioned, RFAs need to be protected.  Moravcik/Sklenicka/Evans/Vejdemo would be exempt though if it's 2020.  Leaving Mete/Juulsen available for free would be extremely risky, especially if both are established regulars by then.  Same with someone like Domi if you're suggesting leaving all RFAs unprotected.

Weber does not have a no-move clause in his contract.  As his deal was one signed via an offer sheet, there is no sort of trade protection at any point in the contract.

• Upvote 1

2017 may be a nice draft class;

Poehling (25), Brook (56), Ikonen (58), Walford (68)-playing for WHL vs Russians in subway series, Fleury (87) (already in AHL) and Primeau (199) likely to be starting goalie for team USA at world juniors.

• Upvote 2

On 10/20/2018 at 4:00 PM, dlbalr said:

As others have mentioned, RFAs need to be protected.  Moravcik/Sklenicka/Evans/Vejdemo would be exempt though if it's 2020.  Leaving Mete/Juulsen available for free would be extremely risky, especially if both are established regulars by then.  Same with someone like Domi if you're suggesting leaving all RFAs unprotected.

Weber does not have a no-move clause in his contract.  As his deal was one signed via an offer sheet, there is no sort of trade protection at any point in the contract.

If they protected 8 skaters, they could protect two out of Domi, Mete and Juulsen along with the other obvious choices. I would look to trade Petry at the 2019 trade deadline to get a high draft pick in 2019 and to have an extra spot to protect one of our prospects

12 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

If they protected 8 skaters, they could protect two out of Domi, Mete and Juulsen along with the other obvious choices. I would look to trade Petry at the 2019 trade deadline to get a high draft pick in 2019 and to have an extra spot to protect one of our prospects

I think Petry has some sort of NMC tho

42 minutes ago, ehjay said:

I think Petry has some sort of NMC tho

A modified No Trade Clause from this season. But, there are always ways to work around that

On 10/19/2018 at 10:02 PM, Richard09 said:

still can't forget Subban, Sergachev, Shaw, Alzner,  how he treated Markov, Subban, Patches, and all the other dumb moves he has made. 6 games in does not erase all the stupid movies. 

Thanks for reminding me of why I wanted to rent a bus for a week and drag him around Montreal.... :lol:

But have to agree with Will that Bergevin's limited offering thus far has surprised me. I wasn't looking forward to even watching the Habs this year and questioned my $60 French RDS games.... Sure takes the fun out of my homicidal instincts though.... :wacko:

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

A modified No Trade Clause from this season. But, there are always ways to work around that

Seems to me that is a another bad omen in the waiting, sorry bud! If Petry gets pissed he is getting the shaft end of the sick, doesn't he just give teams on his list that make him 'untradable'? Leaving MB to take a 'bad deal' or risk loosing some1 he (more to the point: Fans) don't want to loose. What I know, maybe ur on to something :)

4 hours ago, ehjay said:

Seems to me that is a another bad omen in the waiting, sorry bud! If Petry gets pissed he is getting the shaft end of the sick, doesn't he just give teams on his list that make him 'untradable'? Leaving MB to take a 'bad deal' or risk loosing some1 he (more to the point: Fans) don't want to loose. What I know, maybe ur on to something :)

I am only glad that the team has options and not too many crippling NMC contracts 

I am only glad that the team has options and not too many crippling NMC contracts 

Take a moment and look at how the Wings are ####ed with NMC and NTC.

19 hours ago, JoeLassister said:

Take a moment and look at how the Wings are ####ed with NMC and NTC.

wow, that's really bad. It's a good thing Detroit had such a good 2018 draft; but they are screwed in the short term.

I checked again on cap friendly and Petry has a 15 team no trade list. That is good news for the CH, if they want a second 1st round draft pick in 2019. He could be a great addition to a cup contending team

46 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Boy...Domi has 11 points in 10 games. Those are #1C numbers! If he can somehow keep that up, then that was an outstanding trade. Didn't see that coming, that's for sure.

Agreed.

That said, it was about time we got an outstanding trade!

Petry is on an outstanding contract for what he provides right now.

If you are going to move him the return better be even more than the Habs got for Pacioretty.

It all depends on how long this team keeps winning and if you think the success can be sustained into the playoffs with an add or two or if you sell off.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Petry is on an outstanding contract for what he provides right now.

If you are going to move him the return better be even more than the Habs got for Pacioretty.

It all depends on how long this team keeps winning and if you think the success can be sustained into the playoffs with an add or two or if you sell off.

Can't sell Petry off a winning team. The fanbase doesn't have the palate for it, nor would I expect Bergevin to either. 

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Boy...Domi has 11 points in 10 games. Those are #1C numbers! If he can somehow keep that up, then that was an outstanding trade. Didn't see that coming, that's for sure.

Kids playing great and with a ton of confidence.

On the other side Galchenyuk had a good game yesterday, yes that was a complete blow out by Arizona (minus 6 on Sergachev (ouch))but I have heard good things about his play.

Would be nice if both kids found there game and thrived.

38 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Can't sell Petry off a winning team. The fanbase doesn't have the palate for it, nor would I expect Bergevin to either. 

I would rather trade Petry for a great return and keep a strong D-core protected for the expansion draft than try to hold on to him in the futile pursuit of the doblaje cup in 2019

the CH is not there yet