Oct. 20, Montreal vs Ottawa, 7 PM

dlbalr

6 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

They had the Sens gasping for breath at the first intermission ... but then let up. Why?

They're not the first team to do that and they won't be the last. I'd guess that veteran clubs are more immune to that tendency, but still, when you think you have a team on its back, the tendency is get too loose, even when your brain is telling you not to.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

They're not the first team to do that and they won't be the last. I'd guess that veteran clubs are more immune to that tendency, but still, when you think you have a team on its back, the tendency is get too loose, even when your brain is telling you not to.

Maybe if we had a veteran coach telling the kids what to do in this kind of situation ... oh, wait.

We had them and let up. This team cannot win playing shutdown hockey. Need to instill the killer instinct. We should have come out flying and buried them in the second.

10 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Maybe if we had a veteran coach telling the kids what to do in this kind of situation ... oh, wait.

This is seen throughout the NHL.  There is a reason why advanced stats see score effects.  There are a number of veteran, well respected coaches in the league and it happens to all of them.

I will hear it from my boss on Monday :/

I heard most on the radio, and watched from the third only:

It was too much of a freewheeling game compared to what we were used to in recent years. The Sens ( and I guess, most teams) have more talent and it came through.

But I prefer the CH keep trying to play an agressive fast pace game and loose like last night. The Alzner's of this world will play themselves out of the lineup.

Ouelett was ok despite the loss, Lehkonen too, and Kotka had flashes. Let's hope they continue playing at least .500 until Weber returns

1 hour ago, johnnyhasbeen said:

We had them and let up. This team cannot win playing shutdown hockey. Need to instill the killer instinct. We should have come out flying and buried them in the second.

It's Julien. He did this against st. Louis too. 

This team needs to forecheck consistently all game, or they get hemmed in their own end. The defense is too shit to play possum. 

• Upvote 1

Alzner is awful.

Ouellet and Benn have been an excellent third pair. Obviously they cant be top 4 d but in managed minutes they have been very, very good.

Juulsen and Reilly had their worst game this year. They have been good overall though.

Mete needs to replace alzner... when schlemko is healthy alzner should be waived.  He was really weak.  Pinned in his end all night 

Kotkaniemi was strong again.  Needs to shoot more.   But is still playing well.

There is not a coach in the league that tells their charges to sit back and take it easy with a 2-goal lead. I'm very sure Julien's message was 'keep at them, don't let them back into this.' Also, let's face it, Price let in a softie on the first goal and gave Ottawa new life. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

There is not a coach in the league that tells their charges to sit back and take it easy with a 2-goal lead. I'm very sure Julien's message was 'keep at them, don't let them back into this.' Also, let's face it, Price let in a softie on the first goal and gave Ottawa new life. 

Exactly.

People forget their are two teams on the ice.

With a two goal deficit ottawa opened things up and played more aggressive too.  This is a double edged sword.  If you execute the risky plays you can take over the possession portion of the game.  If you dont execute then chances go the other way and it becomes a blowout like against detroit on monday.

But its not all about the habs sitting back.. its about ottawa (and any team trailing by two or three) getting aggressive and pushing a team onto their heels too

16 hours ago, Meller93 said:

Karl Alzner should not be playing in the nhl

You feel for the guy, but he stuck out like a sore thumb last night. He simply makes no sense given the design and vision of the current team. We're a better team without him on the ice.

25 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

What? When you get into later stages of a game and your up by a goal or two, the game plan changes from producing offense to securing the win. 

31 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Alzner is awful.

Ouellet and Benn have been an excellent third pair. Obviously they cant be top 4 d but in managed minutes they have been very, very good.

Juulsen and Reilly had their worst game this year. They have been good overall though.

Mete needs to replace alzner... when schlemko is healthy alzner should be waived.  He was really weak.  Pinned in his end all night 

Kotkaniemi was strong again.  Needs to shoot more.   But is still playing well.

I wonder if they actually will waive Alzner? 

15 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

What? When you get into later stages of a game and your up by a goal or two, the game plan changes from producing offense to securing the win. 

Well - that is not what happens after 20 minutes. Say what you like about CJ, he us not a complete, drooling moron.

29 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Well - that is not what happens after 20 minutes. Say what you like about CJ, he us not a complete, drooling moron.

It was the later stages of the second where you could see the team shell up. 

Maybe it was more to the fact the Ottawa was forcing them to dump the puck, but Montreal was not forcing the play as the game went on.

I'll give credit to Ottawa, they played a solid second half, but Montreal starting just chipping pucks off the glass instead of carrying the puck and keeping possession... maybe julien's game plan was to keep pressing late in the second, but to me, it looked like the goal was to keep the puck of their own net, not put it in the opposing one. 

Sucks to lose after a good first but these games happen... 

On the bright side, a point on the road is still a point on the road. 

10 points in 7 games.. learn from the loss and get some more Ws

On 10/21/2018 at 11:29 AM, Habopotamus said:

I wonder if they actually will waive Alzner? 

Why wouldn't they?  He clearly can't play at even a bottom pair D level in the NHL anymore.  Waiving him and letting him play out the rest of his contract in Laval is the right move.

23 hours ago, sbhatt said:

Why wouldn't they?  He clearly can't play at even a bottom pair D level in the NHL anymore.  Waiving him and letting him play out the rest of his contract in Laval is the right move.

The optics of doing that this early wouldn't be pretty.  The eventual returns of Schlemko/Weber could force their hand later on but they'd probably rather keep him as a #7 in Montreal than put him in Laval.

Speaking of Alzner, he's expected to be a healthy scratch tonight with Mete returning.  Someone needs to do the GDT though...

Could Alzner even make Laval's top six? Cant believe how scary bad he played last game...unless you are in the Tank crowd, I doubt anyone wants to see him in a Habs jersey again.

2 hours ago, DON said:

Could Alzner even make Laval's top six? Cant believe how scary bad he played last game...unless you are in the Tank crowd, I doubt anyone wants to see him in a Habs jersey again.

Quite easily.  While players like Moravcik have some upside, Alzner is leaps and bounds ahead at this time.  If/when he's waived, he'll play as often as he wants to play.

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Someone needs to do the GDT...

image.png