October 23rd: GDT #8 - Calgary at Montreal, 7:30 p.m. EST

Commandant

Holy, another entertaining game. :clap:

Price looking good.

Keep skating.

I think we will see some awesome plays for the young Finn, seems a smart kid out there.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Scott462 said:

He was the most used forward last night. Claude obviously trusts him and by the looks of it he was able to handle those minutes quite well. He’s not the most offensively gifted player and it was a damn shame he couldn’t bury that sweet pass from Kotka but it looks like to me he can be trusted in any situation on the ice and I know coaches love that.

I guess it didn't stand out to me.

Marc Dumont, on TSN 690, said that he would play Hudon or Scherbak with  Kotka instead of Armia. Someone more capable of scoring. I would like to see that too but I don't see Armia being demoted to the 4th line based on how he has been playing up to now.

Maybe a line of Scherbak-Kotkaniemi-Armia would score more

2 hours ago, Scott462 said:

PP working well now. Petry had himself a game and while his shot from the point is still an issue he let it rip on that first goal to get things started. I think the addition of Domi on that top PP is helping things out too, he seems to have great chemistry with Drouin and Petry.

Also credit where it’s due, Drouin had a much deserved first star, one of his best games this year. That shot on his goal was something special.

As we saw last year, the PP got better with Weber out of the lineup. 

The catalyst for the improvement last year was Galchenyuk playing on the right hand spot on the circles and Petry being on the left side with Drouin in the middle.

Domi seems to have moved into the Galchenyuk role and while he's quite a different player than Galchenyuk (doesn't have the one timer, but has smarts and good distribution too).  

This is the key to the powerplay working... threats on both sides of the ice... forcing them to defend the cross ice stuff (and drouin at the top too) and then gallagher causing havoc down low. 

Its not about one person with a big shot, and funneling everything to that shooter (which Montreal was guilty of with Weber in the lineup), its about threats all over the ice. 

They have to remember that when Weber returns.  He's better than Petry, but the overall PP will only improve with him in there, if it continues to be a multi-faceted approach and not just let Weber bomb all the time. 

44 minutes ago, Commandant said:

As we saw last year, the PP got better with Weber out of the lineup. 

The catalyst for the improvement last year was Galchenyuk playing on the right hand spot on the circles and Petry being on the left side with Drouin in the middle.

Domi seems to have moved into the Galchenyuk role and while he's quite a different player than Galchenyuk (doesn't have the one timer, but has smarts and good distribution too).  

This is the key to the powerplay working... threats on both sides of the ice... forcing them to defend the cross ice stuff (and drouin at the top too) and then gallagher causing havoc down low. 

Its not about one person with a big shot, and funneling everything to that shooter (which Montreal was guilty of with Weber in the lineup), its about threats all over the ice. 

They have to remember that when Weber returns.  He's better than Petry, but the overall PP will only improve with him in there, if it continues to be a multi-faceted approach and not just let Weber bomb all the time. 

I pretty much agree with everything but the fact that you do need a guy who can bomb it from the point. The fact that Galchenyuk and Weber are gone hurts because again teams do not respect the shot from our point. It’s just one facet that is a bit lacking right now but I agree that that should not be the ONLY facet they use. I think Domi will definitely help there once Weber comes back.

2 hours ago, Scott462 said:

I pretty much agree with everything but the fact that you do need a guy who can bomb it from the point. The fact that Galchenyuk and Weber are gone hurts because again teams do not respect the shot from our point. It’s just one facet that is a bit lacking right now but I agree that that should not be the ONLY facet they use. I think Domi will definitely help there once Weber comes back.

Obviously, I would put Weber on the power play when he returns, 

all I'm saying

1) he is not a necessity for the power play to work... (though yes he helps)

2) when he returns, they can't do what they did with him last year. 

55 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Obviously, I would put Weber on the power play when he returns, 

all I'm saying

1) he is not a necessity for the power play to work... (though yes he helps)

2) when he returns, they can't do what they did with him last year. 

We are kind of going around in circles.

1) His shot is better than Petry’s or anyone’s on the team, you need a good shooter on the PP or teams won’t respect your shots from the blue line, right now we don’t have one and teams don’t respect it. Galchenyuk and Weber were our best shooters.

2) Completely agree.

1 hour ago, Scott462 said:

We are kind of going around in circles.

1) His shot is better than Petry’s or anyone’s on the team, you need a good shooter on the PP or teams won’t respect your shots from the blue line, right now we don’t have one and teams don’t respect it. Galchenyuk and Weber were our best shooters.

2) Completely agree.

Sure, its better than Petry or anyone elses.... we have 6 pp goals in the last 5 games (i think), the PP is working cause movement. 

Obviously it is better with a big shot.... not saying it won't be. 

But the PP that stuttered in the first three games of the season is slowly improving.  Its not as big a problem as people have made it out to be.  It clicked twice yesterday, and is regularly scoring.  its just that the sample is small and the first three games that were bad, that makes the numbers seem bad. 

The PP worked well with Petry shooting last year, his shot is better than given credit for... he had 12 goals last year, which is really good for a dman. I have no doubt that we can have an effective PP even before Weber returns, and it will just get better with him (if using the same system).

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Sure, its better than Petry or anyone elses.... we have 6 pp goals in the last 5 games (i think), the PP is working cause movement. 

Obviously it is better with a big shot.... not saying it won't be. 

But the PP that stuttered in the first three games of the season is slowly improving.  Its not as big a problem as people have made it out to be.  It clicked twice yesterday, and is regularly scoring.  its just that the sample is small and the first three games that were bad, that makes the numbers seem bad. 

The PP worked well with Petry shooting last year, his shot is better than given credit for... he had 12 goals last year, which is really good for a dman. I have no doubt that we can have an effective PP even before Weber returns, and it will just get better with him (if using the same system).

The movement is the big improvement to be sure, I still think not having that big shooter on the PP might hurt us in the future until Weber gets back. I think Galchenyuks shot last year was a big reason the PP did so well last year and he’s gone so it really is all about the movement.

Petrys shot is not bad but it’s not as strong and accurate as Weber’s or Galchenyuk’s and I was noticing teams just not respecting it. Same with Drouin’s shot but funny enough both Petry and Drouin had amazing shots last night to get the first and the game winner. I guess we will see I very well could be completely wrong in my assessment.

16 minutes ago, DON said:

HE SAID Habs are in 1st place! Put your pitchfork away...for couple weeks anyways.;)

Speaking of which, has anyone heard from Habs29? He was posting everyday before the season started but now that the Habs are doing well he has been silent. Hope he is okay 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, illWill said:

Speaking of which, has anyone heard from Habs29? He was posting everyday before the season started but now that the Habs are doing well he has been silent. Hope he is okay 

Other than being stressed about the team's record so far! :)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, illWill said:

Doing a member search, he hasn't posted since 26 September, but apparently he was reading the site just two hours ago. So maybe he's doing well, just like the Habs ... :)

On 10/25/2018 at 8:16 AM, Habopotamus said:

I don't like Bergevin, but it's damn hard to draw any bad out of the way this team has played, as of late. 

I'm working on it... nobody will rent me a bus!!

What'll I do with the 20 feet of rope??

On 10/25/2018 at 8:46 AM, Commandant said:

Im out for a few hours but will do a GDT when im back (as is tradition after a win)

I didn't think we'd see an occasion for that tradition this year....:rolleyes: