Oct 25, 2018: GDT - Montreal @ Buffalo, 7pm EST

Commandant

8 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

Buffalo has played better basically the entire game 

I disagree because I feel both teams have had their spurts of taking control of the game or momentum shifts.  

Ugh.  PP goal against, on a weak penalty call against Armia.  Should have been a diving call against that Sabre.

Tough way to lose it but the better team won tonight.  Nice game from Domi; the Danault line (Tatar in particular) seemed quiet.  As for Shaw, it'd be nice if he was in the press box on Saturday night after taking a penalty and causing a second.  If that can get Hudon benched, it should get him benched as well.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Tough way to lose it but the better team won tonight.  Nice game from Domi; the Danault line (Tatar in particular) seemed quiet.  As for Shaw, it'd be nice if he was in the press box on Saturday night after taking a penalty and causing a second.  If that can get Hudon benched, it should get him benched as well.

Love to see Shaw get dealt 

Wasn't a huge Petry fan, but that guy deserves some credit. He has looked really solid this year 

How the heck did Domi only score 9 goals last year? The kid looks dynamic as hell, plays with an endless amount of tenacity and speed, has great hands, great vision, all skills that could easily see him being a major contributor to any team's top 6.

He honestly makes me not even miss Galchenyuk in the slightest of ways, I can't imagine how it was possible for this kid to stagnate like he did in Pheonix. Amazing what a change of scenery can do for a player sometimes.

• Upvote 1

Maybe we'll be happy to have escaped without any points if the tank's in session come March.  

It doesn't seem like the ceiling of this team is much higher than what we're seeing now.  Julien's got them playing pretty much to their potential, other more talented teams will catch up.

I'd really like both Scherbak and Hudon to have a regular spot in the lineup.

2 hours ago, Neech said:

Maybe we'll be happy to have escaped without any points if the tank's in session come March.  

It doesn't seem like the ceiling of this team is much higher than what we're seeing now.  Julien's got them playing pretty much to their potential, other more talented teams will catch up.

I'd really like both Scherbak and Hudon to have a regular spot in the lineup.

Deslauriers, Shaw and Peca are interchangeable. There's no reason Sherbak and Hudon can't start getting some more reps 

I didn't care about the result in Buffalo, just wanted the team to play well. It was an uneven performance by the team: some played great, some couldn't play well against a big&fast team

Now, I hope they make the adjustments needed for Boston. I do not want to loose against those p*cks.

===

I do not get it why Marinaro (@TSN 690 radio) has it against Shaw. He is a fourth liner, exepnsive but useful in his role. One of the few right hand faceoff players we have and good on the PK. To be honest, I would rather play Armia on his spot on the 4th line, and play Scherbak or Hudon on the 3rd. But I wouldn't be trying to run Shaw out of town. He has an useful role on this team, but needs to be in managed games/minutes.

51 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

===

I do not get it why Marinaro (@TSN 690 radio) has it against Shaw. He is a fourth liner, exepnsive but useful in his role. One of the few right hand faceoff players we have and good on the PK. To be honest, I would rather play Armia on his spot on the 4th line, and play Scherbak or Hudon on the 3rd. But I wouldn't be trying to run Shaw out of town. He has an useful role on this team, but needs to be in managed games/minutes.

I’m with you that I don’t think Shaw is terrible and can be useful but the situation he is in right now is that he is getting called for absolutely everything from the refs. He gets no benefit of the doubt and his reputation is absolutely shot. This is becoming an issue on the ice because he can’t play his game without costing the team some terrible untimely penalties. The game against Calgary the Habs were able to get past them but against Buffalo he cost us the game with them.

I think a decision needs to be made about him soon because I don’t think it’s practical for him to constantly getting bad penalties called against, even if I think they are warranted or not.

22 minutes ago, Scott462 said:

I’m with you that I don’t think Shaw is terrible and can be useful but the situation he is in right now is that he is getting called for absolutely everything from the refs. He gets no benefit of the doubt and his reputation is absolutely shot. This is becoming an issue on the ice because he can’t play his game without costing the team some terrible untimely penalties. The game against Calgary the Habs were able to get past them but against Buffalo he cost us the game with them.

I think a decision needs to be made about him soon because I don’t think it’s practical for him to constantly getting bad penalties called against, even if I think they are warranted or not.

I wish Scherbak was hungry and pumped up to come into the lineup and be the guy to upgrade the 4th line into a 3rd-line'"b" , but he has never been "that guy"

I do not think Hudon is an upgrade on Shaw. I do not think changes to the fourth line should be the focus of the team going to Boston. The rest of the team has to be much better.

7 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I wish Scherbak was hungry and pumped up to come into the lineup and be the guy to upgrade the 4th line into a 3rd-line'"b" , but he has never been "that guy"

I do not think Hudon is an upgrade on Shaw. I do not think changes to the fourth line should be the focus of the team going to Boston. The rest of the team has to be much better.

I feel you are being short sighted, sorry but Hudon is an Upgrade in skill over Shaw; no disrespected to the man or you for that matter.

I think CJ has a good idea to interchange players on 3rd and 4th lines. Again; you might be right in the sence that against heavy playing teams Hudon might not be a better option on Shaw but I like Hudon and I think he Needs to have more playing time. His game can only get better with more licks of the ice imho. 

11 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Scherbak is in a weird situation and who knows where he ends up, he’s not a guy suited for fourth line duty but he doesn’t push anyone out of the top 8 either.

Hudon is an upgrade on Shaw in the form that he is not a liability to take bad penalties based on reputation so I think he should draw in on Saturday too. Hudon is also pretty skilled in his own right and decent in his own end.

Like I said I think a decision needs to be made about what to do with Shaw, his game is better suited for the playoffs when refs have more of a tendency to put away their whistles.

10 hours ago, Link67 said:

How the heck did Domi only score 9 goals last year? The kid looks dynamic as hell, plays with an endless amount of tenacity and speed, has great hands, great vision, all skills that could easily see him being a major contributor to any team's top 6.

He honestly makes me not even miss Galchenyuk in the slightest of ways, I can't imagine how it was possible for this kid to stagnate like he did in Pheonix. Amazing what a change of scenery can do for a player sometimes.

Last year, Domi was playing like this over the final quarter of the season.  I don't know if the proverbial light bulb clicked or not but he picked up where he left off which is great.

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

He can be useful when his head's in the game.  When it's not, he takes a lot of costly penalties and he's not skilled enough to make up for those in other ways.  With the addition of Armia, he's no longer on the PP (which is good) and while he can take the odd shift shorthanded, he's not great in that role either.  He's in the appropriate role at the moment and if he causes two penalties in that role, he should sit.

Shaw is proving to be healthy right now.  If there is an opportunity to move him, it is now (or perhaps a month from now if he can continue to stay healthy).  I would be more than willing to trade him at this point. 

Look for a team that is struggling early in the season and believes that they need more grit in the lineup.  Maybe old-school style GMs like Dale Tallon, or Peter Chiarelli would be interested. Philly has underperformed and might want Shaw type player. Lou Lamoriello with the Isles.  Los Angeles is really struggling.  Anaheim is winning but it seems to be all John Gibson and the team is playing poorly in front of him.  Look at any of those clubs.

Shaw is not hurting our cap today, we have a ton of space... but his injury history scares me.   If someone is willing to take him on, you have the forward depth to do it. 

We also need the roster spot when Plekanec is healthy.  Hudon can take his spot in the lineup immediately.  Scherbak needs a game or two at some point. There is just a log jam of forwards. 

Depth wise, If injuries hit, guys like Chaput and Agostino and Froese can be called fill holes on the fourth line if we need them. , McCarron is finally producing in the AHL (though I have my doubts about him in the NHL).

Down the road, guys like Poehling and Suzuki will push for spots next season, so clearing space for them will be needed.

Another issue is that this team wants to play with speed and a line with Deslauriers and Shaw both on it, is not part of that vision.

All of this is why it would be smart to move Shaw if you can. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1