Nov, 3, Lightning at Habs, 7:00pm

Neech

8 minutes ago, Scott462 said:

Lol well he was directly responsible for both goals but no it’s not all on him. They had some great A chances and couldn’t finish and Vasilevski has been amazing.

The main problem right now is we do not have anyone that has an elite shot. The only ones we had were Galchenyuk and Weber and it’s no coincidence our PP is struggling mightily again.

Also defensive coverage has been bad and I think when Weber and Byron come back that should get better. Tampa was just better.

And we need the real Carey Price standing between the posts, please.

7 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

And we need the real Carey Price standing between the posts, please.

It’s tough man I think Carey could have been better but almost all those goals but maybe the second goal was an elite shot in the slot from a defensive breakdown. Hard to criticize him too much.

Price 4th goal was a little soft, 

What do you want him to do on the other 3? 

They D zone gets stretched out all over the ice, they leave the slot and the front of the net open far too often. 

They lost 2 out 3 games this week, they scored 1 each in 2 of them. Not a recipe for success

21 minutes ago, Chris said:

Price 4th goal was a little soft, 

What do you want him to do on the other 3?

I thought the third should have been possible for sure. We grew to expect Price to be superhuman, and we are paying him accordingly (far more than any other goalie is getting at the moment). He's not terrible by any stretch of the imagination, but he is not playing at the elite level we need him to be.

I think it was Reilly's worst game this year.

Hudon is too eager to do well offensively, doesn't play with confidence on D coverage and he did let Stsmko skate in unchallenged 

Tatar is like a mime out there, making the right moves but nothing to show for. He fanned on pucks too often 

Benn and Ouellet are my favourites for 3rd pairing on this team. Benn should not play more than that, he gets exposed

Juulsen didn't have a good game 

Edited by alfredoh2009
Added missing *not*

Lehkonen is just a much better player than Hudon.  Its not even really close.

The difference in offence is minimal and some might even have lehkonen ahead.  Lehkonen has created a lot thia year and its seen in the assist column, hes a  bit unlucky not to have a goal.  Meanwhile, Lehkonen is one of the best defensive forwards on the team and hudon is bad defensively. Lehkonen is also a much, much better skater.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Link67 said:

What a contrasting difference from the GDT for Washington and this one, we go from wow what a team, to this guy is shit, that guy is dumb, the goalie is no good. Boy, we really are the bi-polar fanbase everyone makes us out to be aren't we.

What I saw was a team trying and competing, a couple ill timed penalties swinging the momentum, and a couple individual bad plays leading to goals. Because guess what? We were facing one of the real elite teams in this league, and those things I mentioned, coupled with a few players having an off night, is usually enough to land you a big old L. Hudon had an off night that snowballed on him, doesn't make or break him as a player, he had the game of the season against Washington and an off night against Tampa, but he is judged and executed by the Tampa game only? Funny how that works. Price literally has no chance on the first few goals, rockets coming at him off cross seam plays or bad turnovers, only had a chance on the 4th goal with 4 min left in a game that was already over, but of course he was garbage somehow. We have a team that was supposed to be garbage, we wind up with a team that plays a fast entertaining game, some players really playing impressive hockey. But still, we can't figure out how to watch these games without allowing ourselves to be over reactive and toxic. It is frustrating as hell to watch us, and this fanbase in general, act like this despite the season we are having, and the game they just played against Washington.

We can start acting like a roid raging, angry group when these guys are in the midst of a 5 game losing streak where they lost to teams they shouldn't have, playing uninspired,and lazy hockey we wouldn't be accustomed to this season. Until then, look in the mirror as a fan, and realize the toxic reactions are not warranted at this stage, and do better. 

I know you are kind of speaking out loud and this was not directed at anyone individually and overall I agree with you, but I will make a couple points.

There is nothing wrong with constructive criticism, obviously sometimes people can go a little over the edge with it and in that regard I don’t agree.

Sometimes the criticism is warranted, like in the case of Hudon. His skating has been holding him back, it was evident when he lost Stamkos for the game breaker. This doesn’t mean that he won’t have flashes of brilliance the kid is skilled no doubt but if you are not necessarily great in your own end and are lacking the foot speed to keep up with those playing around you chances are you will become less relied upon and in turn move down or out of the line up and let’s be honest this wasn’t Hudons first off day and for a fringe NHLer they can ill afford that.

I’m having a great time watching this team, Domi scoring a goal almost every game has me over the moon and I can only imagine what this team will look like once we get our #1 Dman back to bring the core back into alignment.

20 minutes ago, Scott462 said:

I know you are kind of speaking out loud and this was not directed at anyone individually and overall I agree with you, but I will make a couple points.

There is nothing wrong with constructive criticism, obviously sometimes people can go a little over the edge with it and in that regard I don’t agree.

Sometimes the criticism is warranted, like in the case of Hudon. His skating has been holding him back, it was evident when he lost Stamkos for the game breaker. This doesn’t mean that he won’t have flashes of brilliance the kid is skilled no doubt but if you are not necessarily great in your own end and are lacking the foot speed to keep up with those playing around you chances are you will become less relied upon and in turn move down or out of the line up and let’s be honest this wasn’t Hudons first off day and for a fringe NHLer they can ill afford that.

I’m having a great time watching this team, Domi scoring a goal almost every game has me over the moon and I can only imagine what this team will look like once we get our #1 Dman back to bring the core back into alignment.

Sure, but the problem is constructive criticism is not what we are seeing generally, its over reactions and toxic behavior. In Hudon's case, in Price's case, there is no consideration for the big picture, no consideration that Hudon looked like the best forward the game prior and his real ability as a player is somewhere between both performances. Or that Price is not going to stop a cross seam one timer from Stamkos very often, or keep getting Glove saves off even when a turn over 20 feet from his net results in a guy staring him down 2 seconds later and firing a laser beam just under the bar.

Like I said, there is no construction to the criticism, always irrational negativity no matter what the big picture actually looks like. There were big portions of the 1st and 2nd where we were flying and clearly giving them fits on the ice, no consideration given to that. We were playing a legitimate cup contender, mistakes of any kind would likely be costly, and they were, no consideration given to that. Minus a couple bad penalties and a couple uncharacteristic breakdowns, we played well overall. Our PP was snake bit yet again and didn't give us the timely goal we needed to get back in it, but no consideration given to those points either.

So yes, I agree, constructive criticism is great, but in this case, and in most cases when it pertains to Hab fan reactions in general, it was non existent, yet again.

Great job, Link67, with some levelheadedness.  We still have a roster that was picked a month ago to finish in the bottom 10.  We look much better than that so far, but there's still a huge talent disparity between us and a team like Tampa.  To beat them we have to play nearly flawlessly, or hope for a lot more mistakes on their end than what happened Saturday.  

I'm not ready to give up on Hudon, as he seems to have some hockey smarts and should be able to improve his defensive game.  If he got faster that would be a big help too.  Deslauriers, on the other hand, I don't really see a need for.  Throw Scherbak out there with Peca and Shaw, that line should be able to score now and then.

2 hours ago, Link67 said:

What a contrasting difference from the GDT for Washington and this one, we go from wow what a team, to this guy is shit, that guy is dumb, the goalie is no good. Boy, we really are the bi-polar fanbase everyone makes us out to be aren't we.

Fans by definition are like that, if Win who talks about the negatives, just keep winning! If Lose then its; why did they lose and many have opinion what led to loss, or what might help win the next game.

13 hours ago, tomh009 said:

I thought the third should have been possible for sure. We grew to expect Price to be superhuman, and we are paying him accordingly (far more than any other goalie is getting at the moment). He's not terrible by any stretch of the imagination, but he is not playing at the elite level we need him to be.

To add to this, how many games has Price "stolen" for the Habs so far? How many games was he the difference maker?

He's paid like the best player, but has he played like the best player? .907 save%, 2.59 GAA... 

I wasnt trying to tear down Hudon in my post.  I think hes a fine NHL player.  I was mainly posting on why i think lehkonen is a lot better overall between the two.

As for last night.  The habs were very much in the game.  With a bit more puck luck it could have been a win.  The play between the two teams was closer than indicated.  Yes tampa had some dominant stretches but the Habs also had some dominant stretches.

I've enjoyed the early season run, obviously, but all along I've been waiting to see if this team will settle back down to its 'level.' The question remains unanswered, but my guess is what we have here is a solid, well-coached team whose lack of elite talent means it likely will be a 'bubble' team. Not a Lose for Hughes team, but quite possibly not a playoff squad either; a middling bunch.The surprise here is that it's done this without Weber. But I actually don't see it as self-evident that Weber's return will automatically mean a basket of wins. For example, we've seen the peculiar phenomenon in the past of the boomer from the point actually yielding a worse overall PP (because everything then becomes funneled to Weber/Subban, a predictable, unimaginative pattern that is ultimately easier to defend against). For that matter, he may return, but some other key guy might get hurt, or hot players like Domi or Petry or Gally may regress, resulting in something  close to a wash. Or he may take longer to get up to form than we hope. And so on. Things just don't work in that linear way.

As for Price, I'm getting a bit tired of this movie. No, no, of course he does not suck. No, no, you generally can't point to goals against and say, 'well, that was a real stinker.' But that's akin to taking Ovechkin and saying, 'well, he's on a 20-goal pace, that's still pretty good.' Carey Price's JOB is not to be a competent NHL goalie; it is to be, frankly, a superstar goalie. That is his rep. That is how he is paid. And until he starts playing like one of the very top goalies in all of hockey - something he has not done for well over a season now - he is a fair subject for at least moderate criticism. He needs to steal the team some games if they have a realistic chance of making the playoffs. Will the real CP please stand up? Or - scary thought - is this 'pretty decent' goalie now the 'real' Carey Price?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Habs, Bruins, Sabres all with 16pts

Habs 26th ranked PP cant be worse with Weber and the PK should improve as well, which isnt that horrible now at 16th.

3 hours ago, Link67 said:

Sure, but the problem is constructive criticism is not what we are seeing generally, its over reactions and toxic behavior. In Hudon's case, in Price's case, there is no consideration for the big picture, no consideration that Hudon looked like the best forward the game prior and his real ability as a player is somewhere between both performances. Or that Price is not going to stop a cross seam one timer from Stamkos very often, or keep getting Glove saves off even when a turn over 20 feet from his net results in a guy staring him down 2 seconds later and firing a laser beam just under the bar.

Like I said, there is no construction to the criticism, always irrational negativity no matter what the big picture actually looks like. There were big portions of the 1st and 2nd where we were flying and clearly giving them fits on the ice, no consideration given to that. We were playing a legitimate cup contender, mistakes of any kind would likely be costly, and they were, no consideration given to that. Minus a couple bad penalties and a couple uncharacteristic breakdowns, we played well overall. Our PP was snake bit yet again and didn't give us the timely goal we needed to get back in it, but no consideration given to those points either.

So yes, I agree, constructive criticism is great, but in this case, and in most cases when it pertains to Hab fan reactions in general, it was non existent, yet again.

I can really only speak for myself, I don’t think my criticism of Hudon are unfair. I am on record defending Habs players most recently Drouin who happens to be the newest whipping boy. Has he had some tough stretches for sure but his talent and potential are still there and in the end I think he will put it together. 

In Hudons case he is not making it easy for himself right now and IMO the good is not outweighing the bad in regards to his play right now. I want him to succeed because he is a Habs player and I want to see the team succeed and I hope he ends up proving me wrong but I don’t think there is anything wrong voicing my concerns either.

I never disagreed with anything else in your post so I’ll give your first post a Iike.

22 minutes ago, DON said:

Habs, Bruins, Sabres all with 16pts

Habs 26th ranked PP cant be worse with Weber and the PK should improve as well, which isnt that horrible now at 16th.

Real tight rankings in the east.

I agree and again I’m voicing the concern of not having that truly elite shot that Weber has. As much as I love Domi, I wish we were able to keep Galchenyuk somehow because of his shot.