Dear Bergevin I am man enough to admit I am sorry

Metallica

I was one of those that ripped you on the Domi / galchenyuk trade. Now to be fare I always liked max as a player, and if we traded draft picks or prospects for him i would of been happy. But you traded galchenyuk for him. I thought you just traded one problem for another, and in this case I said I would of rather just kept galchenyuk and played him all year at center. But Max is proving me wrong and has grown on me. So to this i say I am sorry this was one of your better trades and I am man enough to give credit.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

It's still early, very early.  But so far I really like this guy. He is playmaking Gallagher. I was one of these few who was not sad to see Guillaume kostitsyn 2.0 go. He just wasn't getting it.   I loved that streak he went on a couple years back, and always felt he should have stayed at centre with a responsible winger. But after last season, I gave up on him.  Solid chance I'm wrong.  Happens a lot. Only time will tell.

3 hours ago, Toronthab said:

Mea culpa.

Would he consider a name change...? DOMI! 

Now can we order the bus?:huh:

You want to be pulled behind a bus as an expiation of your disbelief?

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, sbhatt said:

I'm in the same boat.  Domi must have been extremely unhappy in Phoenix or playing with the wrong linemates, and Bergevin did well to recognize it and make the trade.

It's easy to forget but it's not like Domi wasn't playing like this at the end of last season.  In the last 28 games last year, he had six goals and 17 assists, a PPG average of 0.82 which is pretty high.  (He had 15 points in his final 14 games to break it down a bit further.)  Domi's a bit better than how he finished last season but there were signs of a breakout before this. 

Domi has been amazing - as good as anything we would have hoped for from Galy. In no way do I recant my wider condemnation of how Bergevin mismanaged this organization over the past six years. But the early returns from that deal are looking outstanding, so I was wrong to treat the trade as just another folly in the long list.

That said, Domi is on a 50-goal pace. That is probably not sustainable. While I have no doubt any longer that he is a quality player, what we're seeing may be a bit like Weber's first six weeks with us, i.e., an explosion of production of almost ridiculous proportions, to be followed by a reversion to much more normal career numbers.  Because Domi is so young, this, in his case, would not mean a 'reversion to career norms' in the NHL, but a reversion to earlier expectations of what he would amount to as an NHLer. Whatever else scouts projected for Domi, I doubt a 50-goal season was among them.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Domi has been amazing - as good as anything we would have hoped for from Galy. In no way do I recant my wider condemnation of how Bergevin mismanaged this organization over the past six years. But the early returns from that deal are looking outstanding, so I was wrong to treat the trade as just another folly in the long list.

That said, Domi is on a 50-goal pace. That is probably not sustainable. While I have no doubt any longer that he is a quality player, what we're seeing may be a bit like Weber's first six weeks with us, i.e., an explosion of production of almost ridiculous proportions, to be followed by a reversion to much more normal career numbers.  Because Domi is so young, this, in his case, would not mean a 'reversion to career norms' in the NHL, but a reversion to earlier expectations of what he would amount to as an NHLer. Whatever else scouts projected for Domi, I doubt a 50-goal season was among them.

I don't see him scoring 50 either, but today's NHL is built for players like Domi, not like Weber. Which is why we see Webers numbers decline. I see Domi in the 50-70pt area as far as production goes for domi.

16 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

He's playing like an elite franchise centre right now.  

I don't think that is what he is, or what he will be either. 

But even if he falls off and settles into the role of good 2nd line centre, then this trade looks pretty good.   

I think what is most important is that he shows the speed and two-way game to be a centre in Julien's system. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Commandant said:

He's playing like an elite franchise centre right now.  

I don't think that is what he is, or what he will be either. 

But even if he falls off and settles into the role of good 2nd line centre, then this trade looks pretty good.   

I think what is most important is that he shows the speed and two-way game to be a centre in Julien's system. 

Julien will be gone eventually, so I wouldn't make that my primary desideratum (remember the asinine argument that Weber was a "better fit for Therrien's system" than Subban - Price's wan attempt to justify that trade?). I prefer to look at the players themselves and what they bring to the table. If Galy plays C and does it better than Domi, then we lose the trade. The jury remains out as to whether Galy can become more than "a good 2nd line C" as you have pegged Domi's natural level. If he does, then we lose, regardless of who our coach is, IMHO.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Julien will be gone eventually, so I wouldn't make that my primary desideratum (remember the asinine argument that Weber was a "better fit for Therrien's system" than Subban - Price's wan attempt to justify that trade?). I prefer to look at the players themselves and what they bring to the table. If Galy plays C and does it better than Domi, then we lose the trade. The jury remains out as to whether Galy can become more than "a good 2nd line C" as you have pegged Domi's natural level. If he does, then we lose, regardless of who our coach is, IMHO.

To be clear i wasnt pegging good 2nd lone centre as his natural level.  I was saying thats a downside he could regress to depending on how far the regression goes.

5 hours ago, Commandant said:

To be clear i wasnt pegging good 2nd lone centre as his natural level.  I was saying thats a downside he could regress to depending on how far the regression goes.

Well, what is his natural level? What is/was the scouting book on him? Before he got here, I thought of him as a guy who might be a 60-70 point man given linear progression, but whose game was waylaid by injury. I'd assumed him to be a winger, though.

2 hours ago, Easy Ryder said:

One good move does not change it all.

Alzner, Shaw are still 7th and 12th forward.For a bargain deal of 8.5 million,till 2022. Price at 10.5 vs Rinne at 5.5.

These will hurt the reset.

I accept the limited parameters of this thread: that the Domi trade is so far shaping up to be a terrific move, and that I, like others, was wrong to denigrate it as just another MB folly.

One good trade does not excuse the cataclysmic squandering of the 2014 team - artificially grinding its Cup window shut through a series of idiotic moves and ridiculous misjudgements. And the fact that he destroyed the near-contender he inherited should give us ZERO reason for confidence that he will manage to avoid destroying any future contender he manages to assemble, assuming that he can even get that far without shooting the organization's feet off, like the blundering jackanapse he is.

I will agree with this thread when the team is once again a contender for the Cup. Not sure if the Domi trade was genius or luck but, yes, it has certainly turned out well so far 

12 hours ago, PMAC said:

I will agree with this thread when the team is once again a contender for the Cup. Not sure if the Domi trade was genius or luck but, yes, it has certainly turned out well so far 

Why has to be genius or luck in Domi trade? Is what it is...after all of 1 month Domi appears to be that centre we were all hoping Galchenyuk would be..

14 hours ago, DON said:

Why has to be genius or luck in Domi trade? Is what it is...after all of 1 month Domi appears to be that centre we were all hoping Galchenyuk would be..

I  don't think it was skillz, and it seems those two options are better then witch craft? :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/6/2018 at 3:01 AM, Toronthab said:

Now can we order the bus?:huh:

What a difference a couple of weeks can make.  The architect of this blueline corps most certainly deserves to be dragged...the Domi trade doesn't nearly cancel out that dumpster fire.  ORDER THE BUS!

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, sbhatt said:

What a difference a couple of weeks can make.  The architect of this blueline corps most certainly deserves to be dragged...the Domi trade doesn't nearly cancel out that dumpster fire.  ORDER THE BUS!

The team needs Weber back and an LD to play with him. If that LD drives a bus, then everyone will be happy

Ya know, the original post was not at all about whether 'all is forgiven' for Bergevin's catastrophic incompetence over the previous six years. It was an admission that we we were wrong to dis the Domi trade. And whatever else happens, the early returns suggest that that trade was one of MB's very few home runs. So the original premise stands.

Now as to whether this team is finally settling back to its true level, that's another question. We all knew the D was going to be a tire-fire; it's not like this should surprise us.

20 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Ya know, the original post was not at all about whether 'all is forgiven' for Bergevin's catastrophic incompetence over the previous six years. It was an admission that we we were wrong to dis the Domi trade. And whatever else happens, the early returns suggest that that trade was one of MB's very few home runs. So the original premise stands.

Now as to whether this team is finally settling back to its true level, that's another question. We all knew the D was going to be a tire-fire; it's not like this should surprise us.

The D got worse when Armia and Byron were injured.  These are two of our four best defensive forwards (with Danault and Lehkonen), so it really shouldn't come as that much of a surprise. 

Getting these guys back will be a boost for a poor defensive unit.  Armia will be a while still, but it sounds like Byron is getting closer.