Nov. 8, Buffalo vs Montreal 7:30pm on TSN2, RDS

Link67

Max Domi trying to carry the team on his back poor lad. Petry is starting to show why he will never be a top pair guy, he’s playing too many minutes.

PP looks atrocious, it’s a momentum killer at this point and like I assumed not having any elite shot from anywhere is really hurting it.

Price. I love the guy but he’s scaring the shit out of me right now.

Carey Price is a goddamned sieve....a 10.5 million dollar sieve at this point.  Niemi should start next game...and play until he gives up 4+ while Price gets his head in the damn game.

12 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

Carey Price is a goddamned sieve....a 10.5 million dollar sieve at this point.  Niemi should start next game...and play until he gives up 4+ while Price gets his head in the damn game.

Technically $15M of salary ... $10.5M is the cap hit.

I can't recall a poorest faceoff attempt than the one Danauld had on Skinner's 2nd goal.  Watch the video. It's laughable.  It looks like if I took a faceoff against my 1 yo son who just started walking.  Petry and Tatar didn't help much though.

https://imgflip.com/gif/2m3k6g

Wow, that was bad.

Second time this week that they played like most people expected the CH to play this season.

The D played to the level of their talent, Ouellet reverted to Detroit-level, Alzner to 2017 level, etc. etc.

The only positive is that the forwards continued playing well. Scoring, forechecking and playing with intensity.

I would send Mete down and bring up the best stay at home D down in Laval. Not that Mete has played poorly, but he needs to continue progressing and to dominate the play to build his confidence.

It is time to throw what-ever may stick to patch the holes at D, until Weber returns.

10 hours ago, sbhatt said:

From the Gazette: “Julien said it was important for the coaches to show they’re behind Price and he started the ball rolling with a vote of confidence. “He’s been good, but everyone knows he can be great,” Julien said. “We’ll try to help him find his game and take it to the next level.” ”

Based on that, it doesn't look like CJ is going to put Niemi in anytime soon.

On 11/9/2018 at 7:48 AM, alfredoh2009 said:

Wow, that was bad.

Second time this week that they played like most people expected the CH to play this season.

The D played to the level of their talent, Ouellet reverted to Detroit-level, Alzner to 2017 level, etc. etc.

The only positive is that the forwards continued playing well. Scoring, forechecking and playing with intensity.

I would send Mete down and bring up the best stay at home D down in Laval. Not that Mete has played poorly, but he needs to continue progressing and to dominate the play to build his confidence.

It is time to throw what-ever may stick to patch the holes at D, until Weber returns.

the only reason I would make that move is because JB down there.

I would fear to mess up the mans' confidence/ego. Like u said not playing bad so what happens in his head?

CP31 seems to think (ha! thinks) it's all between the ears. Last year too right? ohh wait last year was sleep deprevation :(

edit: I do not say sleep deprevation in a bad way btw a new born will cause that and this even more True with the 1st in the household.

Edited by ehjay

Why send Mete down? 

Mete and Reilly are the only 2 D who are good skaters. 

They need to waive Alzner,

Schlemko will be back then hurt again after 2 games, Benn is a UFA and should be moved. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Chris said:

Why send Mete down?

Playing/development time.  Mete's ice time continues to drop like a rock - he was down to 12:36 last night and when a coach is playing a defenceman that little, it's a clear vote of non-confidence.  He's basically an even strength only player at this time so if management has any hopes for him playing a 2nd PP unit or killing penalties, sticking him in that role with Laval isn't a bad way to go.  I'd rather have him play 25+ minutes a night with them than half of that in Montreal.

At this point, sending him down when Schlemko returns has become my preferred option.  Alzner can continue to serve as the number seven and would be much better for that role than Mete.

35 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Playing/development time.  Mete's ice time continues to drop like a rock - he was down to 12:36 last night and when a coach is playing a defenceman that little, it's a clear vote of non-confidence.  He's basically an even strength only player at this time so if management has any hopes for him playing a 2nd PP unit or killing penalties, sticking him in that role with Laval isn't a bad way to go.  I'd rather have him play 25+ minutes a night with them than half of that in Montreal.

At this point, sending him down when Schlemko returns has become my preferred option.  Alzner can continue to serve as the number seven and would be much better for that role than Mete.

That was my thinking too

4 hours ago, Habopotamus said:

Price could easily rebound, but man, at what point do we start getting worried...

I posted words to this effect a couple of games back.

He sucked all of last year and he has been average to mediocre this year. 

There will come a point where we do have to ask if this is what he is now. We're not at that point yet, but this cannot continue.

7 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I definitely see Mete going down when Schlemko or Weber is back. 

Its not a punishment, its an opportunity to develop his offensive game which isn't happening in Montreal. 

and if Juulsen regresses, I would want the same for him. Mete-Juulsen need to develop and to become solid 2nd pair Ds. They both are Waiver exempt this year and the CH should use all means available to help them reach their full potential

I will not mind loosing this season more games than not with the likes of Schlemko and Alzner if it means that Juulsen and Mete come back stronger

47 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I posted words to this effect a couple of games back.

He sucked all of last year and he has been average to mediocre this year. 

There will come a point where we do have to ask if this is what he is now. We're not at that point yet, but this cannot continue.

What a disaster that would be. 

Last 200 regular season games 

Games 1-100- 1.97 GAA  .934 sv%

Games 101-200-  2.78 GAA  .907 sv% 

Price played in much better defensive system with much better team defense. They kept everything to the outside

The past 2 years the defense and whatever d system they run has been terrible, no battles won in front of the net, the slot is always wide open and turnovers with odd man rushes. 

Until they play better D with better defensamen, his numbers will be bad

He's had slumps before (losing the net to Halak, the lockout shortened season and the loss to ottawa) and he's bounched back. 

He's only 30, so I doubt he's washed up at this point. 

I think he'll bounce back.  Its a question of when, and how the team survives until he does.  Cause he's costing points now and will continue to until he gets it together. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Chris said:

Price played in much better defensive system with much better team defense. They kept everything to the outside

The past 2 years the defense and whatever d system they run has been terrible, no battles won in front of the net, the slot is always wide open and turnovers with odd man rushes. 

Until they play better D with better defensamen, his numbers will be bad

The d didnt drop puck for Tampa to tap in for important game changing goal against.

The d didnt get burned by wide open shot in OT.

He has let in numerous soft goals, likely 1/game.

But, better defense would have to help, but sub .900 save % and GAA is same as last year. So not just a blip on radar neither.

24 minutes ago, Commandant said:

He's had slumps before (losing the net to Halak, the lockout shortened season and the loss to ottawa) and he's bounched back. 

He's only 30, so I doubt he's washed up at this point. 

I think he'll bounce back.  Its a question of when, and how the team survives until he does.  Cause he's costing points now and will continue to until he gets it together. 

Hope you are right sir, but got a bad feeling his best days are behind him and reflexes just aint what they used to be. He basically has been shaky since Sept 2017.

Even if he can be middle of pack starting goalie, would be an improvement.

It's quite likely that, as Chris says, if the D in front of him evolves into a good, strong D corps, he will look much better.

But the thing is, for the first decade of his career it was Price making the D look artificially good. I fear that the back nine is going to be an era where he is still good enough to look elite behind a strong D - relying on positioning to make all the saves he should make - but no longer a guy who can carry a team.

That being said, I have not lost faith in the guy. I'm just concerned.